IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joe-Z Exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 11:25 AM
1BAD4DR
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Joe-Z Exhaust ?

Has anyone ever cut out the 2 resonators from the joe-z exhaust?

Ex. Replace the two resonators with a magnaflow dual input/ dual output muffler

Or

Replace them with high flow cats

Or

Replace with straight pipes?

I've had numerous exhaust system and don't think I really like the sound of resonators on a exhaust. I have the ppe headers with my joe-z but I think the resonator sound is making me not 100% happy with the system. Anyways if u have done something different feel free to let me know or throw a post.

Thanks
Alex
Old 09-17-13, 11:32 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i saw a thread last week where someone replaced the resonators w/ straight pipes on the Joe Z. said he liked it a lot better.
Old 09-17-13, 11:38 AM
1BAD4DR
Pole Position

Ok cremaster. Ill look into that thread thank you
Old 09-17-13, 12:16 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted about getting the resonators cut out and replaced with pipe. It became a little louder, not as significant as I thought it would be but it was noticeable (to me at least) and it was a cheap to do. Did not become raspy or anything, just a lil more audible. It isn't life changing but worth it.

Depending on what your going after you might be better off replacing axle back with just pipe or cutting mufflers off and replacing with pipe. I don't know if that would make it raspy or not tho.

I enjoyed the resonator delete...until I put the headers on haha.
Old 09-17-13, 12:28 PM
HellaInc
Rookie

You are running headers with full Joe Z system and you don't think it's loud enough? If you want louder Delete cats/res/muffler is the way to go. Joe Z system has a more refined tone. You can take off the mufflers and attach straight pipes in place? Or you can just cut off your resonators and weld straight pipes in place but that it be a waste. Have any sound clips of how it sounds now?

This is my car with just the meisterschaft axleback

Here's it with the secondary cat deletes

Once I get headers I will see if I should install my EV Controller to tone the sound down...
Old 09-17-13, 01:17 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

I was saying it wasn't loud enough for my taste with just the catback that's why I did the resonator delete to see how much a difference it would make. I liked it better w/o the resonators. I was afraid removing the mufflers would make it raspy which is not my cup of tea at all so I avoided that route.

Months later after the res delete I got the headers. With the headers on it sounds beastly, on a different level and I am completely satisfied with how it sounds and have gotten a lot of compliments in the short time they have been on. My setup now is probably too loud for most peoples taste but I came from a catless, bigger turbo STI so I like/wanted big sound from this car from this car as well. I almost went electronic valve dump on it but decided to get the headers instead as they add power and sound.

I only have one sound clip from my iPhone. Ill see if I can get that posted soon. The only "complaint" is full catless after extended periods of driving the gas smell is very noticeable and you can smell it on your clothes lol. But I knew that would happen so I'm ok with it.
Old 09-17-13, 01:59 PM
1BAD4DR
Pole Position

I have PPE headers and the Joez exhaust. What I'm saying is that I don't like the resonator sound of exhaust. I like the way it sounded better when I just removed the factory mufflers. In the end I just don't think I like resonators on an exhaust system. I'm not looking for the loudest exhaust just something deep with a rumble. Anyways my last car exhaust was 3.5" full stainless with resonator and magnaflow muffler on a CBRD BBX full turbo with test pipe on an Evo x on e-85. The resonators to me just don't make the exhaust sound right so looking for ideas on how to possibly just change them out with a muff or straight through