IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2014 Lexus IS F - Official updates via Lexus Japan and USA

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-13, 11:53 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
Steering wheel looks thicker (in the first steering wheel photo)...
The steering wheel from 11 and up is thicker. Perhaps they made it even thicker
Old 09-10-13, 01:04 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Hmm...looks like a 2015 IS F is actually possible........
Joe Z won't (or hasn't) commented on it yet, but I've brought that question up in a couple of these threads. With the production of the RCF (M4 competitor) and GSF (M5 competitor), I can't see Lexus totally dropping the ISF (M3 competitor). They may stop making it for a year, but I'm all but certain they'll make something based on the 3IS platform by 2016. Why wouldn't they? The only reason I can imagine that they won't is if the GSF comes out in for a much lower price than expected (say $70K or so) and Lexus gets afraid of cannibalizing its sales.
Old 09-10-13, 01:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Joe Z won't (or hasn't) commented on it yet,
Actually he has:

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The 2014 is MORE THAN likely our last chance to ever buy a 4 door Lexus IS F.
7 year run..!!!

Especially with the GS F and RC F already in the pipeline

~ Joe Z
I do hope he's wrong, however

Lou
Old 09-10-13, 02:12 PM
vbb

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Actually he has:

I do hope he's wrong, however

Lou
Yeah, you're right. I quoted that in my last comment to him. He has not offered any information about why he believes the ISF is forever dead though. I can see it being our last chance to by the original ISF... but why Lexus wouldn't make a 2nd gen ISF on the 3IS platform is beyond me, unless they want to push all of their performance car seekers into a coupe or the much more expensive GSF. BMW/Mercedes/Audi have all proven that there's a market for 4 door luxury rockets under $70K. I can't imagine Lexus would be cool with having the IS350 F sport carry that banner. That car doesn't even compete against the 335i and S4 adequately, much less the M3.
Old 09-11-13, 06:19 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope they discontinue ISF production.......that way resale values won't dip that much
Old 09-11-13, 06:40 AM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I hope they discontinue ISF production.......that way resale values won't dip that much
Agreed, as I mentioned it before in the previous page!
Old 09-11-13, 08:09 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't imagine the resale values appreciating like the e30 m3, Supra or NSX... but if I can get $30k-35k for this car in 5 years......I'd be stoked

Last edited by VtotheJ; 09-11-13 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 11:25 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by vbb
Joe Z won't (or hasn't) commented on it yet, but I've brought that question up in a couple of these threads. With the production of the RCF (M4 competitor) and GSF (M5 competitor), I can't see Lexus totally dropping the ISF (M3 competitor). They may stop making it for a year, but I'm all but certain they'll make something based on the 3IS platform by 2016. Why wouldn't they? The only reason I can imagine that they won't is if the GSF comes out in for a much lower price than expected (say $70K or so) and Lexus gets afraid of cannibalizing its sales.
I really don't have much to add... (just my opinion )

~ Joe Z
Old 09-11-13, 12:26 PM
vbb

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I really don't have much to add... (just my opinion )

~ Joe Z
I thought you had some inside knowledge!! C'mon, I know you know the real deal.

Seriously though, I would be surprised if the ISF is never coming back after the run of our current model ends. Lexus is "all in" with the F brand now, producing the RCF and GSF. The ISF fits right in with that mold. My prediction? No ISF in 2015 and then a reintroduced ISF in 2016. Just my opinion.
Old 09-11-13, 12:26 PM
Wakemaker8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I do and I don't. The fact that they are already fairly rare to see on the road is cool but I'm not sure that the IS-f has the staying power to become one of those sought after older cars.
Old 09-11-13, 04:04 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Geezus, did they change the wheels again?!

I love the 2012 (I think...the slim single spoke design) but that pics looks like they want back to the older style. Or is that the JP wheels?
Old 09-12-13, 12:40 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by anxiouz
Geezus, did they change the wheels again?!

I love the 2012 (I think...the slim single spoke design) but that pics looks like they want back to the older style. Or is that the JP wheels?
I believe in Japan you can pick your wheel styles when you buy an F, from the original USDM to the original CanDM to the Spiderweb to the CH-style.
Old 09-12-13, 03:45 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

I have these LED fogs installed in my IS250, they're quite a bit nicer than the halogens.

Jeff
Old 09-12-13, 06:00 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wakemaker8
I do and I don't. The fact that they are already fairly rare to see on the road is cool but I'm not sure that the IS-f has the staying power to become one of those sought after older cars.
I sure hope they don't. I buy my car to enjoy it while I own it, and I'd sure like to step into another improved similar sized sports sedan from Lexus, down the line.

The GS is very nice and all, but I prefer the mid-sizing of the IS, or smaller cars, in general. Besides, it's already nice enough to own the first F car. The torch started here.
Old 09-12-13, 09:02 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vbb
Yeah, you're right. I quoted that in my last comment to him. He has not offered any information about why he believes the ISF is forever dead though. I can see it being our last chance to by the original ISF... but why Lexus wouldn't make a 2nd gen ISF on the 3IS platform is beyond me, unless they want to push all of their performance car seekers into a coupe or the much more expensive GSF. BMW/Mercedes/Audi have all proven that there's a market for 4 door luxury rockets under $70K. I can't imagine Lexus would be cool with having the IS350 F sport carry that banner. That car doesn't even compete against the 335i and S4 adequately, much less the M3.
I totally agree with you, I think they need a smaller sports sedan, I'd buy it. However, it seems all these luxury sports car companies are really putting all the extra love into their coupes vs sedan.. The S4 looks like garbage compared to the S5. No RS4 anymore, just an RS5. The new M4 is greatly overshadowing the new M3 in articles and comments.. I keep reading how much better the 4-series is over the 3-series; wider, lowest center of gravity for any BMW, blah blah. When they start doing competition articles, I bet it will all be M4 vs ___ ___, not the M3. Then when the C63 coupe came out, you never hear anything about the C63 sedan in articles anymore. Black series.. only in coupe form.

It looks like Lexus is jumping on the lux coupe bandwagon.

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus IS F - Official updates via Lexus Japan and USA