IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2014 IS F Special Edition "Dynamic Sport Tuning"

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 08:17 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
l looked at the website myself. It says rings and pistons as I suspected. There is nothing you can do to rods or crankshafts to gain that kind of power.
I would assume lower friction rings and lighter weight pistons.

Lou
Old 09-06-13, 10:44 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I would assume lower friction rings and lighter weight pistons.

Lou
There's a little more to it than that. 600 grit finish on the cylinders (they look shiny, not like your typical 280 or 320 grit finish) and super thin (also fast wearing) rings. The car guys have not been doing this (in general), but bikes have been doing it for a very long time now. Bikes don't have the anticipated service life cars do, so they get away with things the car people consider race only.

FWIW, lighter pistons do not produce more power. They accelerate better which can make the car quicker, but they will not generate more watts than a heavier unit with the same design. This is true of any component - I've spent a lot of time carefully lightening and balancing crankshafts, and I am witness to the engine spinning up faster as a result, but in terms of ultimate power on a brake dyno, there is zero difference (an inertial dyno like a Dynojet will see this as a power change, but it really isn't).

Where it matters on the track is acceleration, and yes, especially in the lower gears it helps acceleration, but again, when it comes to ultimate power capability, there is no difference in watts out, just how quickly you get there.
Old 09-06-13, 10:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There's a little more to it than that. 600 grit finish on the cylinders (they look shiny, not like your typical 280 or 320 grit finish) and super thin (also fast wearing) rings. The car guys have not been doing this (in general), but bikes have been doing it for a very long time now. Bikes don't have the anticipated service life cars do, so they get away with things the car people consider race only.

FWIW, lighter pistons do not produce more power. They accelerate better which can make the car quicker, but they will not generate more watts than a heavier unit with the same design. This is true of any component - I've spent a lot of time carefully lightening and balancing crankshafts, and I am witness to the engine spinning up faster as a result, but in terms of ultimate power on a brake dyno, there is zero difference (an inertial dyno like a Dynojet will see this as a power change, but it really isn't).

Where it matters on the track is acceleration, and yes, especially in the lower gears it helps acceleration, but again, when it comes to ultimate power capability, there is no difference in watts out, just how quickly you get there.
fantastic post as usual, lance

so i guess what it means is even though the special edition is "only" a few hp more, but the car can be noticeably quicker because of faster acceleration?
Old 09-06-13, 10:57 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
fantastic post as usual, lance

so i guess what it means is even though the special edition is "only" a few hp more, but the car can be noticeably quicker because of faster acceleration?
Yes, I'd say so. If they'd've made the crank from titanium, it would rev like an LF-A and be noticeably quicker in the quarter mile, but trap speed would stay the same. Once everything is optimized, ET is power to weight, trap speed is pure power.
Old 09-06-13, 11:03 AM
GBFisFun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So awesome!!! Thanks for posting all the sweet pictures...
Old 09-06-13, 11:21 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Just found out the 2014 LED foglamps are a direct fit to the current housing. The only thing that will need to be modified is the voltage going to the lamp itself.
Old 09-06-13, 11:34 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A whooping 7 horses? From that price point I expect a minimum of 500hp.
Old 09-06-13, 11:45 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Just found out the 2014 LED foglamps are a direct fit to the current housing. The only thing that will need to be modified is the voltage going to the lamp itself.
Great! Any info on what they look like when they're in use?
Old 09-06-13, 11:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Very nice package. I love the aero parts and the orange calipers. We need more special packages like this
Old 09-06-13, 11:59 AM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would you happen to know the color output as well, if they are yellow or the same color as the DRL LEDs?
Old 09-06-13, 01:09 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I've been debating to upgrade to the JDM Spec GS350 Led Accessory Fog Lamp Housings for a very long time...

With all the data I've gathered through the years, I know them to be a direct fit...

But with a $1700 price tag... I haven't jumped on the idea..

Now that the US Spec IS F with be getting the redesigned LED Fog Lamp housings (not the same housing as above since BLUE is illegal in the USA), upgrading will be cheaper and way easier..

~ Joe Z
Old 09-06-13, 01:12 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by "that boy"
Would you happen to know the color output as well, if they are yellow or the same color as the DRL LEDs?
Color output will look close to the photo on the right... Posted above..

~ Joe Z
Old 09-06-13, 01:45 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

New colors too? Wondering if the new blue will look like the famous Ultrasonic Blue.

Nice touches, I'm happy with my 2013.
Old 09-06-13, 02:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
New colors too? Wondering if the new blue will look like the famous Ultrasonic Blue.

Nice touches, I'm happy with my 2013.
Same EXACT Blue... Acutally these are all current existing color codes...

Just different names in different Global markets..

~ Joe Z
Old 09-06-13, 03:10 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Ahhhhha, the names threw me out.

Long live the BEAST.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS F Special Edition "Dynamic Sport Tuning"