IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Flat black exhaust tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-13, 12:23 PM
HEWITT
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have different tips but I vote for Gloss Black. Looks a lot better and cleaner than flat black
Old 09-02-13, 12:33 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snea
That is exactly what I was going for. I do think flat black would look good on some cars, it just doesn't seem to fit the IS-F, especially on a MRM.

Defratos: For some reason I was under the impression yours weren't powdercoated, but were painted, which is why I initially went that route.

I'll talk to the local powdercoating shop tomorrow. Hopefully they can hook me up quickly so my car can once again be whole.
^ Main reason why I stripped the plastidip off. It made the tips seem dirty when the rest of the car was clean...

BTW Do any of you guys have pics of the powder coated tips installed? Curious to see how they look on the car, thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-13, 03:20 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not go Satin? basically a low gloss black.

its what I have done on mine and it looks awesome.
Old 09-02-13, 11:37 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

snea, I doubled checked my old mails from Mike, and the tips were powder coated not painted.

1SexyLexus here are mine powder coated on the car, its hard to see them clearly from those pics but they look nice :

Old 09-03-13, 12:48 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Joez carbon fiber exhaust tips FTW!!! thread now is closed
Old 09-03-13, 08:31 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

LOL I scratched CF off the list because I think it would be CF overkill. Still, I think hydrographics is an interesting idea and might actually look a lot like the Joez tips. Someone should try it!

I dropped them off at the local powdercoating shop earlier this morning and hopefully will get them back this week!

On a side note: for those who have removed their exhaust tips: I messed up some of the fibre washers since they were stuck. I'd like to get some replacements for when I put the tips back on, but have no idea where to find them...
Old 09-03-13, 10:38 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Lol is not over kill if u have the tom's kit to go with it

Old 09-03-13, 10:59 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

I wanted cf tips to start off with, but from what members told me you can no longer get them and no one sells them

Unless you're planning to get your tips done professionally? I mean not like the joez tips right?
Old 09-03-13, 11:11 AM
madastep
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Boma
A couple layers of plastidip and glossifier will give a durable, gloss black look. It will resist rock chips and won't fade from the heat of the exhaust. If the look doesn't do it for you just peel it off. A can of plastidip and glossifier shouldn't be more than $16 total from your local Walmart. It's worth a try.
This shoudl be able to buy this and it'll protect the paint and make it look glossy

I wanted cf tips to start off with, but from what members told me you can no longer get them and no one sells them

Unless you're planning to get your tips done professionally? I mean not like the joez tips right?
They melt if you do anything to make the car go fast, because it gets too hot

Last edited by madastep; 09-03-13 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-03-13, 11:54 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

My is Joez Exhaust carbon fiber tips, i have it for over 8 months is look the same the day i got it brand new , i have joez exhaust, sikky header and joez intake. unless u r running Noz with header then maybe u melted
Old 09-03-13, 12:08 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry but Plastidip shouldn't be within 100 feet of an IS-F. If you're not going to powdercoat them right then don't do it at all.
Old 09-03-13, 01:41 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Oh noes I have two cans sitting about 8 feet away in my garage!

Don't worry they are getting powdercoated but I've nothing against plastidip for certain uses I can't promise I won't try dipping the emblems and badges. If I could get plastidip to look as good as powdercoating I would use it, but like I said earlier, I can never get it to dry without a texture and to me, no matter how well it is done, or how much glossifier, pearlizer, or metalizer is used, it still has a plasticy/rubbery look.

The CF tips would have been done using hydrographics. See the interior trip pics here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/EPD-H...24825594270481

Supposedly the heat would be fine if a high-temp primer was applied before dipping in the film, but without knowing of any previous examples I was still a little worried about its durability. It would definitely look good though.
Old 09-04-13, 03:42 PM
lexuz125th
Driver

Powder coated tips look really nice, probably will last longer as well. I was planning on doing that, until I got pulled over a few days ago, officer came over and said sir you cannot drive without a muffler. I was so puzzled, came out to look and driver side tips were missing. So after explaining that they are just for show, officer goes they are a fake I said the exhaust pipes are right behind them with a similar design one on top of another. Guy bends down on his knees to look. After he was convinced that i am not destroying mother nature, I did not get a ticket. Little did he know I have headers and exhaust with no cats. Took the car to the dealer, ordered the part. However service consultant says oh I dont think Lexus will cover this under warranty. honestly if they dont cover it, I will be pretty upset. That's not normal for tips to fall off at their welding points. I have not heard other car manufacturers having tips falling off. Who is going to spend 100k on an RC F only to be worried about quality issues like this. Lexus better treat ISF well, we are the first ones in line to consider purchasing their new F models. Where do new buyers for F models look before buying, right here on Club Lexus.
Attached Thumbnails Flat black exhaust tips?-20130904_185550.jpg   Flat black exhaust tips?-20130904_185539.jpg  

Last edited by lexuz125th; 09-04-13 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-04-13, 04:13 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Very strange, especially since the both came off. You'd think one would go before the other. Also, you're the second person I've seen on the forums who has had their tips just disappear on the road somewhere. Maybe the extra heat from the header/exhaust combo is just enough to make this a potential problem?
Old 09-04-13, 04:24 PM
lexuz125th
Driver

Took it to a really high end exhaust shop to see what other options I have. Guy said this should never happen no matter what headers exhaust heat. He goes its not like they are even directly connected. Heat vapor also comes out prior going through the tips. He said this is primarily due to poor welding quality, especially for a high end car. The way they are welded on is not the way to go he said. He said the other side looks like its next. He recommend I go after market and weld some pipes on to the borla exhaust. I just love the original ISF rear end look. Very sexy and goes perfectly with rear bumper design.

Quick Reply: Flat black exhaust tips?