IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ECU cracker

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-13, 05:24 PM
Chaos64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also so far the biggest problems I'm seeing is the harness and how to comm to ecu without killing it
Old 09-01-13, 07:59 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh good lord, here we go again...
Old 09-02-13, 12:53 AM
bondango
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chaos64
To bigcloud, is there anything to support this, or anything as far as the language it uses.
To bondango, on the forums they were talking of a bosch encrytion or maybe it was bosch design similar i'm assuming to the charger ecus. and 3 companies in japan supposedly have interfaces to the ecu to flash it and tune it to an extent. yes its denso and ecu says it but again bosch involvement.
To tgui, Jtag access has been neutered along with locking down the ecu if bad comands are sent, by who and neutered as in not implemented anymore, and I would buy a test ecu on the side not working on my own duh. Any knowledge on usb interfaces or what those lexus authorized to tune ecu (trd, sard, and i don't remember) usb hopefully.
Its DENSO period, Bosch have NO involvement with the ECU / design / software whatsover, All hardare including MPU's are propritory Denso corp own Design, D4S is a denso child along with much of the electronic technology througout the ISF.

The 3 companys mentioned have a long standing business link with Denso japan and have always been given access to the Denso's own hardware / software regarding ECU calibtation.

Please kill this thread its embarrassing like the many before

the only 2 possible ways forward :-

1. JAPANESE MARKET ECU will it pair to an ISF, all electronics aren the same regarding engine control etc etc, its not like the good old days of map vs MAF and jap vs USDM differences. So if it pairs then the option is there for novel/Sard etc etc

2. Dealer level flash calibration file. This is basically the Data required which we need to manipulate. A dealer recalibration file contains any changes in maps/settings/ etc etc and is a Complete Refalsh file. We we would need someway finding a data scematic to make sense of the information in this file, and a way of changing it. I.e. we dont need to access the ECU as full calibration files are available via lexus download.

Last edited by bondango; 09-02-13 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-02-13, 01:42 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Why am I picturing bricks upon bricks upon bricks of bricked IS-F ECU's? Not saying that it can't be done but GL on your endeavor OP
Old 10-29-13, 08:27 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

any update on this?
Old 10-29-13, 10:40 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldnt hold you breath over it... I've tried and eventually ran out of air. LOL

With all jokes aside though, we have some really smart people on CL and brave ones who are willing to undergo this ECU cracking project. However I dont think any have been successful. Even big shops like D3PE have tried with little to no luck. There was also another company who kept stating they were waiting on cases for the thier "units" but that subject/thread died real quick and took everyone's hopes and dreams down with it. JDM ECUs have been cracked by SARD but nothing for the USDM market.
Old 10-30-13, 04:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

So a very good friend of mine spent his time at APR cracking ECUs while attending Auburn University and getting a degree in embedded systems. He spent 3 years trying to crack the Scion tC ECM. Here's what we know:

1. The processor and its instruction set are unique to Denso. No x86, RISC, or other well known machine code.
2. The only compilers for this ECM are controlled by Toyota.
3. The physical construction of the processor puts the code onboard the processor so there is no separate memory to attack.
4. There are no hardware interfaces on the processor to get it to cough up anything.
5. The processor memory is burned and the links used to program it are fusible links, so they are destroyed after it is programmed.
6. The flash memory holds ONLY calibration data in a proprietary format and the encryption does not have to follow any well known standards.
6. The tuning software is controlled by Toyota, and the only company known to possess this software outside Toyota is Lotus - this presents the only even slightly likely possibility one could obtain the necessary tools to recalibrate a Denso ECM, as it might be possible to pay someone at Lotus enough money to get the necessary tools (unlikely, but potentially possible).

If you can afford to etch down the processor to determine its architecture and instruction set you have a small hope of success. This is what I know from someone who made a living cracking Bosch ECMs like popcorn.
Old 11-02-13, 02:05 AM
viprtwo
Driver

And to think that technology in the IS ECU is over 6 years old already...
Old 11-02-13, 04:46 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can make some money if you succeed with this-good luck.
As for me, I'm happy with the F-works tuning.
Old 11-02-13, 06:47 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Not to bump up a touchy topic but I did see that bullydog just released tuning abilities for Toyota Tundras (and those with TRD superchargers). Perhaps there is hope...
Old 11-02-13, 09:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Looks like the same CAN bus approach some other guys were saying they would release for the IS-F last June. They still haven't said anything public about that.
Old 08-20-14, 05:29 AM
error7889
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for opening old thread. I discovered the way how to reprogramm the toyota denso ecu with changed software. I used it to remove the DPF from D4D engine. I have not experience with remapping and Im not able to recognize the map tables in the code. Also I dont know if is possible to recognize them but maybe somebody experienced with tuning of subaru ecus can check the toyota BIN and look for some similliarity.
Old 08-20-14, 06:54 AM
ISFalex
Driver

If you can crack the ECU for a cheaper price than Novel, and add in adjustments for mods, there is quite a bit of money to be made. Even the Novel ECU can't adjust for mods. If that is done, that would be amazing. Good Luck
Old 08-20-14, 11:15 AM
error7889
Driver School Candidate

I didnt found the way how to change the maps in ROM but I found the way how to burn in modified or different ROM into the ECU which is generally not possible. Im able to move up or down between firmware versions or burn the ROM from different car.
Im looking for some info or cooperation on discovering the toyota rom.

Last edited by error7889; 08-20-14 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-23-14, 11:11 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by error7889
I didnt found the way how to change the maps in ROM but I found the way how to burn in modified or different ROM into the ECU which is generally not possible. Im able to move up or down between firmware versions or burn the ROM from different car.
Im looking for some info or cooperation on discovering the toyota rom.
With what processor model have you had success adding maps? The D4D is a very different platform from what I can tell.

Quick Reply: ECU cracker