IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

California Smog Check Official thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 11:35 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I believe it's every other year. And the smog abatement fee shouldn't be assessed after this sixth year of registration.
Old 01-08-14, 03:11 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SpmMorrow
Quick update. Took the ISF in for my smog check today. Passed with no issues. Tech said numbers were beautiful just like the car. Smogged with joe Z exhaust, intake and aftermarket air filter.

I'm in SoCal
Please let me know where you went!
Old 01-09-14, 08:16 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please keep the language clean (posts removed). Thank you for your cooperation.
Old 05-01-14, 11:14 PM
ML2100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone passed with headers? my buddy passed with Joe z exhaust and intake.... but was wondering if it will pass sniffer with headers...
Old 05-02-14, 06:31 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ML2100
has anyone passed with headers? my buddy passed with Joe z exhaust and intake.... but was wondering if it will pass sniffer with headers...
Ditto for me... I passed last month with my own stuff too

Headers: Only way is if there are CATS installed..
Without them the sniffer will FAIL all day long.. Even if your hiding the CEL's with an O2 simulator..

~ Joe Z
Old 05-02-14, 01:42 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

I passed last month with Joe Z intake and exhaust. He was going to fail me for visual inspection on the intake, but he let me slide cuz it was the weekend. He said if it was a weekday, he would have made me go to the dealership to get a stock intake tube lol. I would have instead went home and put on my stock one instead. Next time I will play it safe and put the stock intake on before getting my next smog check.
Old 05-02-14, 02:11 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I wonder if headers with a stock exhaust (secondary cats) would pass the sniffer.
Old 05-02-14, 02:19 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if muffler delete would pass smog
Old 05-02-14, 02:58 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ yes it will as long as the primary cats from the headers stay on the car.
Old 05-02-14, 05:28 PM
quarius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rossi
I wonder if headers with a stock exhaust (secondary cats) would pass the sniffer.
This is what I'm interested in knowing as well. Someone willing to find out?
Old 06-05-14, 11:33 AM
Joszer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Ditto for me... I passed last month with my own stuff too

Headers: Only way is if there are CATS installed..
Without them the sniffer will FAIL all day long.. Even if your hiding the CEL's with an O2 simulator..

~ Joe Z
Didn't AB 2289 pass in California so that cars newer than 2000 don't nees to go through the sniffer?

"Due to begin mid 2014; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe portion of the smog inspection."
According to http://www.smogtips.com/new-smog-law-AB-2289.cfm

If that it is the case shouldn't we pass? The primary cats are litterally invisible from underneath and through the engine bay. I doubt that all smog techs are well versed with our cars. Can anyone shoot me some feedback on this, if that's the case I'll order a set of PPE's this summer.
Old 06-05-14, 01:09 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^Depends on the friendliness, expertise, and knowledge of the inspector. There's still the visual.

http://www.smogtips.com/visual_inspection.cfm

Lou
Old 06-05-14, 03:57 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Joszer
Didn't AB 2289 pass in California so that cars newer than 2000 don't nees to go through the sniffer?

"Due to begin mid 2014; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe portion of the smog inspection."
According to http://www.smogtips.com/new-smog-law-AB-2289.cfm

If that it is the case shouldn't we pass? The primary cats are litterally invisible from underneath and through the engine bay. I doubt that all smog techs are well versed with our cars. Can anyone shoot me some feedback on this, if that's the case I'll order a set of PPE's this summer.
My tech looked for the primary CATs..

The new equipment is arriving to the SMOG stations.. But last I heard it wasn't ready to go live yet.. Waiting for software and equipment set up.

Even if they just plug into the OBDII port and run a system check, it has to show system ready codes and not throwing any other DTCs..

Plus a visual inspection will still be performed..

Kinda like smogging an AWD or even a newer Mercedes since they cant be spun on the rollers.

~ Joe Z
Old 06-05-14, 09:03 PM
Joszer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joe Z
My tech looked for the primary CATs..

The new equipment is arriving to the SMOG stations.. But last I heard it wasn't ready to go live yet.. Waiting for software and equipment set up.

Even if they just plug into the OBDII port and run a system check, it has to show system ready codes and not throwing any other DTCs..

Plus a visual inspection will still be performed..

Kinda like smogging an AWD or even a newer Mercedes since they cant be spun on the rollers.

~ Joe Z
Did that tech jack the car up? I don't think you can see the cats without having to look from the bottom up right?
Old 06-06-14, 08:46 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TheF
I have been a gear head all my life and Tech for 10 yrs+ .... Guys who think their smog shop will fail them please don't take it there. As of now since all 08 isf is now due for inspection make sure all parts are back to OEM or have E.O # for all aftermarket parts that isn't consider O.E replacement . It's not consider "most likely to fail or gross polluter" yet ! Let's keep it this way .. So we all must keep it passing with first try otherwise the BAR and ARB will put our cars in the star certified required .if too many visual fail for tampered . Furthermore new program is in the process of just OBD testing without dynometer load mode testing for 2000 and newer .... Please don't give them idea to reverse the new bill . Don't ruined it for everyone else ... If it take 10 minutes to change out your intake and 1 hr to replaced your headers and exhaust ... Do it!! I feel all your concern and trouble when it's time for inspection. Any question you can pm and ask me. I also work at a star certified station bring your car by . In mission viejo.
Quick question, can you really fit headers and an exhaust in just an hour?! Seems like a lot of work in such a short time. 10mins for the intake I can see being possible.

Not being a smart-***, just curious as I may be the first UK IS-F owner to fit PPE headers, and want a guesstimate on fitting time for my pro mechanic.

Thanks.

Peter

Quick Reply: California Smog Check Official thread