IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

German Performance -> Japanese Performance Convert?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 03:06 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

If you are not married and don't have kids, what the hell is stopping your from buying a Porsche if you can afford it? I will be buying my GT-R soon as I am kid less but married. Anyways, if you are considering an Audi, I can tell you from personal experience that their reliability is better but still below Lexus.
Old 08-12-13, 03:09 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Murph145
If u can't afford something in the $80-100 range then just stick with the F nothing else out there worth having unless its around $100k plus.

Lets cut to the chase what can you afford or spend? Kinda pointless asking questions if u can't afford anything your wanting
I'd say if I get a new car today...my price range is around $85K OTD. I saw a 2014 911S coupe and it was like 95k. That's the first time I've ever in person looked at a car in that price range. It's a "gulping" feeling for sure.

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
How about E63 AMG?
I've been on the benz forums and I've read about E63s needing to replace headgaskets after 50k miles. I like the new german styling (E63 AMG, S7/RS7 S5, no BMWs), but the reliability aspect scares the crap out of me.

Originally Posted by gshyu
If you're looking for more of a "fling" than a "marriage" to a performance vehicle and don't want to have to deal with long term issues, I would HIGHLY recommend leasing any vehicle you're remotely curious in. By that, I don't mean signing a full 3-year lease with a dealership with a few grand down at drive off... I mean lease takeovers.

Take a look at sites such as:
leasetrader.com
swapalease.com

A lot of times, you'll quite literally take over the person's lease without money down. Then, after you're done, on to the next!
The problem is that I can't lease a car. I drive too much. Even though I don't have a daily commute, I can easily rack up 500-700 miles a week going out and seeing customers and visiting my distributors/resellers. A lot of times I'll also be gone, so then the car won't be driven at all. But on average, I drive my IS F about 2000 miles a month.

Originally Posted by ISF4TRACK
^^^This....just move on to another car already. Your whining and nitpicking of other members in this forum is getting pretty old.
Interesting that you make this comment after only having 5 posts. I'll make sure you're #1 on my nitpicking list.

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
Guess to Toyota owners a tranny going out is not a "not so bad" thing nor is paying $4000 to fix it at 87Kmi. Toyota owners are spoiled (and rightfully so) by the reliability of the brand and stuff that many BMW owners consider "ehh thats not bad " to Toyota owners is "WTF do you mean my tranny needs to be replaced??!, this car is a POS!"
To many (not all) we bought this car because Toyota finally answered our cries for a serious performance car with big power...and no its not the "BEST" performer nor is it the "fastest" out the box....but pound for pound ...it will outlast anything out there and with little issue...because Toyota built it. and to us that still means something.

So yeah expect us to crap on the German build if anything for its "not to our standard of reliability" factor.

We dont know anything about blown trannies and stuff. that kind of stuff is almost unheard of 'round these parts..lol
Well said. I think the fact that as of today, my IS F has 107,929 miles on it. OK, I've spent $4000 at the dealership getting the transmission replaced (new water pump and rear main seal was also replaced at the same time while the engine was out), but my personal issue with the car hasn't happened to everyone (or anyone else as far as we know) and there are a number of members on the forum that are over 87k miles (when I had my transmission replaced) and their car is still running strong with no issues.

Owning a high performance car for over 100k miles, spending only $4000 in repairs/maintenance (minus oil changes, tires, brakes, all wear and tear items, which all don't count), that's not too shabby....You gotta admit, the IS F will spoil you in terms of reliability.

Some people say that you gotta pay to play... Do some of you guys think that owning a high performance car, but paying a bunch of money on maintenance, repairs, and just stuff breaking all the time is worth owning ?
Old 08-12-13, 03:12 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
If you are not married and don't have kids, what the hell is stopping your from buying a Porsche if you can afford it? I will be buying my GT-R soon as I am kid less but married. Anyways, if you are considering an Audi, I can tell you from personal experience that their reliability is better but still below Lexus.
This is exactly want to know...so what issues did you have with your Audi and what model did you have?
Old 08-12-13, 03:25 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, I did not have a high performance Audi like an RS4 or RS6. I had an A4 convertible which I replaced with an A5 cabriolet. I can tell you that the 2004 A4 was a horrible experience but the 2010 A5 has so far been reliable. Other than burning oil which according to the Audi service advisor is normal, it has not shown any real problems. It currently has 58,000 miles and still running smooth. I think the RS5 maybe more reliable than people expect it to be as Audi has probably fixed its issues as it is passed its mid model year. Good luck with whatever you go with..
Old 08-12-13, 03:30 PM
COisF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently sold my 2008 Audi S5 (6 speed) with 55K miles. It was a really fun car, but I got very tired of some of the subtle issues that came along with it. My biggest annoyances were really the carbon build-up issues the car had due to the pure direct-injection, and the fact that I had to replace the clutch by 35K miles. The carbon removal on the valves had to be done by taking apart the itake manifold (it'l' run you around $1K...and some guys were finding performance decreasing build-up by 25K miles), and the clutch replacement really pissed me off because I didn't even drive the car hard. The other thing to consider is the fact that if you like to work on the car yourself, be prepared to spend some money on specialty tools and 3x what you should be paying for parts...

All in all, the Audi was a really nice car and I may consider another someday...but for the time being, I very happily turned to the reliability and performance of the IS-F
Old 08-12-13, 03:52 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Clownshoes
I went from a 2003 996 to a BMW 535i, then to my F.

The BMW is a POS. Hence

The 996 was a great car, and easily out handles the F. Power to weight ratio is nearly identical, but the ride quality is vastly different. The F’s ride is much better and having owned both now, I’ll take the F over the 996, with a caveat below.

Not sure what year 911 you are looking at getting, but the 996 is a lot like a full sized go-kart with a very gnarly engine. It is a great second car, but it was my primary car and therefore limited a lot of what the F is useful for. I have one car at a time. I have owned multiple cars simultaneously before, but I always end up just driving one 99% of the time so I just stick to one now. However, if I ever get back into owning multiple cars, a 911 variant will definitely be one of them.

I looked at getting an S5 when considering the F during the lemon lawing of the Bavarian Shizaworks Turd. I read numerous complaints about excessive carbon build up in the intakes, problematic paint issues and ubiquitous interior rattles and buzzes. After my BMW nightmare, I am glad I went to the ISF. I have no regrets and the F outperforms the BMW in every aspect.
I LOVED my 996 C4S and it is a lot more fun/special to own than the ISF, but I'd never recommend an M96/7 engine to anyone at this juncture. It's just not good long-term prop with the IMS threat. Engine is approaching 15 years old.

Audi S line is boring as fuq with no heritage, performance, nor reliability to show for.

And let's not be a complete fan boy. BMW makes awesome cars and has a line-up a lot more attractive than Lexus. Top to bottom, they only trail Porsche in interesting cars sold.
Old 08-12-13, 03:58 PM
07HR350Z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your budget is 85k, get a used GTR and never look back. You will not find anything else that matches it's performance for the money. A 997 turbo comes close but the GTR is just that much better in every category.

If you're looking for a wow factor, get a used gallardo (yes you can find them for 85k). The engines & transmissions are bulletproof and can handle loads of power including over 1500whp+.
Old 08-12-13, 04:02 PM
ISF4TRACK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ OP - Umm yeah, good luck with that son. I'll step out of this particular thread though so you can get on with the task at hand...FINALLY moving you into your next car and stopping all the whining.
Old 08-12-13, 04:02 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

no way on the GT-R. I'm not a fan of that car at all. Let the war begin.....
Old 08-12-13, 04:04 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISF4TRACK
@ OP - Umm yeah, good luck with that son. I'll step out of this particular thread though so you can get on with the task at hand...FINALLY moving you into your next car and stopping all the whining.
Yep...please GTFO.
Old 08-12-13, 04:10 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 07HR350Z
If you're looking for a wow factor, get a used gallardo (yes you can find them for 85k). The engines & transmissions are bulletproof and can handle loads of power including over 1500whp+.
What? They're dated POSs esp with that absolute junk that is E-gear.
Old 08-12-13, 04:15 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ROK
I LOVED my 996 C4S and it is a lot more fun/special to own than the ISF, but I'd never recommend an M96/7 engine to anyone at this juncture. It's just not good long-term prop with the IMS threat. Engine is approaching 15 years old.

Audi S line is boring as fuq with no heritage, performance, nor reliability to show for.

And let's not be a complete fan boy. BMW makes awesome cars and has a line-up a lot more attractive than Lexus. Top to bottom, they only trail Porsche in interesting cars sold.
The IMS problem seems to be hit and miss. Yes... VERY poor design...but I wonder how many people actually had the problem. Sometimes (not saying this is the case) one person could have the problem and it snowballs and everyone freaks out. Especially if your 100k car is about to blow its engine. Friend of mine said to go with, I THINK, a 2009 and above Porsche because that's when they switched to the 3.8L DFI.

If your budget is 85k, get a used GTR and never look back. You will not find anything else that matches it's performance for the money. A 997 turbo comes close but the GTR is just that much better in every category.

Not really just about a wow factor. I'd like to have a reliable car. I think the IS F is the closest thing to a unicorn...performance + reliability. You usually don't get that with german cars.
Old 08-13-13, 06:58 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on this. I see both sides of the coin, the GTR is a love or hate thing. But the fact is, for the power potential it's a bargain. And regarding the Gallardo, I've done a lot of research on them. I was also able to speak to the owner of an 04. They are pretty reliable but parts are crazy expensive, even more so than Porsche. A clutch job can easily be 6-8k. And that's even for the 04+ models. But, there are some parts that are interchangeable with Audi's S-line. Definitely something to consider, but keep in mind you're paying $85-95K for an almost 10 year old car that has probably been owned by at least 3 people. On the flip side they can def handler gobs of power, if that's what you're into.

Originally Posted by ROK
What? They're dated POSs esp with that absolute junk that is E-gear.
Agreed. E-gear had a lot of issues. 6-speed is the way to go.

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Not really just about a wow factor. I'd like to have a reliable car. I think the IS F is the closest thing to a unicorn...performance + reliability. You usually don't get that with german cars.
Think of it this way, nothing beats Lexus in terms of reliability. If you wait, you could actually go with the RC-F, if Lexus actually does come out with it.....think of it as an upgraded unicorn. I really hope they limit production of it just like they have done with the F.

Anyways I understand your indecisiveness... I don't know about you but deciding on the F was pretty easy, I wanted everything in one package. No other car has it besides the F. But upgrading FROM it is a tough decision because it's hard to find that in any other car.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 08-13-13 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-13-13, 08:04 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure what everyone else thinks, but I am really loving this car, http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/12/2...w-first-drive/

Not sure where Jaguar sits as far as reliability, and yes, it isn't the fastest for the price, but damn it's good looking, IMO.
Old 08-13-13, 09:01 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going to suggest that jag as well, but base price is $99k..... a bit overpriced IMO. Yeah it has 550HP but is heavy at 4400lb, 0-60 isn't that much faster than the F. Plus reliability is not the best. My buddy has a Jaguar x-type.

Quick Reply: German Performance -> Japanese Performance Convert?