IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

German Performance -> Japanese Performance Convert?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-13, 03:11 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joshhleee
used to have a e46 m3 with the smg transmission, honestly liked it better car for car then the isf.. handling and throttle response were superb. I've driven my friends a5 multiple times and that car is very smooth and handles really well due to the awd. But both those cars have reliablity issues, but since BMW has free waranty for the first 3 years its not a bad route either, we picked up the new f30 bmw and with tunes and stuff the car is killer fast and handling is great. Anyways it all depends what youre looking for, you cant want an rs7 that comfortably fits 5 then want a gt3 thatll fit two. If you're looking for a driving car then 991 gt3 all the way, you won't regret it for sure. I know someone that had the 911 gt3 then bought a lambo and he said nothing beats the porsche.. But if you're looking for a rs7 type of car, m5 all the way, when you drive it you'll be surprised. This paragraph is a lot of nonsense. LOL. but the main point is 1. porsche 2. bmw. 3. audi. Porsche has great reliability now !
BMW is 4 year warranty... the SMG e46 ms are bad now a days, so many are breaking now and are expensive to fix lol. same car smg is a fair bit cheaper than 6 speed one.
Old 08-11-13, 07:12 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by joshhleee
used to have a e46 m3 with the smg transmission, honestly liked it better car for car then the isf.. handling and throttle response were superb. I've driven my friends a5 multiple times and that car is very smooth and handles really well due to the awd. But both those cars have reliablity issues, but since BMW has free waranty for the first 3 years its not a bad route either, we picked up the new f30 bmw and with tunes and stuff the car is killer fast and handling is great. Anyways it all depends what youre looking for, you cant want an rs7 that comfortably fits 5 then want a gt3 thatll fit two. If you're looking for a driving car then 991 gt3 all the way, you won't regret it for sure. I know someone that had the 911 gt3 then bought a lambo and he said nothing beats the porsche.. But if you're looking for a rs7 type of car, m5 all the way, when you drive it you'll be surprised. This paragraph is a lot of nonsense. LOL. but the main point is 1. porsche 2. bmw. 3. audi. Porsche has great reliability now !
If you fixed the formatting of your reply, it'd probably be easier to read than a lot of non-sense. Anyhow, I like the Audi S7 (Can't afford a $100k RS7) and Audi RS5 looks...I'm ok with a coupe or a 4 door. The S7 is appealing because it has that hatch back and you can put tons of stuff in it. My only issue is that I will be some what daily driving the car. Even though I work from home, I do have times where I have to go meet customers etc.

991 911 GT3...can't afford that. I don't want a BMW at all. I think BMWs are great driving cars, and that's it. I hate their leather. I hate the plastics they use in the car (most recent I've been in is a 2010 335i), BMW has no appeal to me. But Audi does....

Originally Posted by vbb
To quote you, "just get the Porsche already."

Seriously though, I think that's the next step. If I'm getting a car to upgrade from the ISF, I'm looking at Porsche. The thing is, I need four doors and some utility at this stage in my family life, so the Porsche I want is not practical for me. If I didn't have young kids, I'd definitely go that route. The ISF (and maybe the GSF if/when it is built) provides guys like me with the fun, performance, reliability, AND practicality that I need. I like the looks and on-paper performance numbers of several of the German performance sedans, but I don't see how that would be much of a step up from where you are now with your ISF.

So, just get the Porsche.
You and I are very much on the same page except I'm not married and I don't have kids. I like my IS F just because it has room. I wish I wasn't so bored of the F....

The thing that just worries me most is reliability. Yeah, I've had the tranny replaced in my IS F, but outside of that, it's been a good car. No dead fuel pumps or rattling steering or random shut offs or it needing to be towed to the dealer. Yeah yeah...I know...you gotta pay to play.

Funny how we have some members that have made posts that they recently got their IS F and they're super excited about it and my F just bores me. lol
Old 08-11-13, 07:43 PM
nsx042003
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol if anything bores me in the ISF is its lack of a manual tranny.
Old 08-11-13, 07:58 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're bored of the IS-F, go rent a corolla for a week and then come back. No, if you are bored with it, go take it to a race track and you'll appreciate it more for what it can do.

If your daily commute is boring, then find a different route.

If all else fails, go get a 911. M3, C63, S5, etc. are all too similar. Sedans/coupes that wanna be sports car. They don't feel like a proper sports car. Just compromises.

Keep the IS-F, go get a toy. FR-S, BRZ, etc. If you got the change, go get a GT-R or a Turbo or preferably a Turbo S. LOL, today a friend of mine took a ride with me in it (and he has a C6 vette) and he said the Turbo S made his vette seem slow. Like stock IS350 vs. modded IS-F difference.

In all reality, even the Turbo S is boring. There is only so many burnouts, clutch drops, launches, etc. one can do before just cruising around and getting bored again. These days, my 911 is just another car with a horribly designed cup holder so my drinks have to be held. With a trunk so small that I have to keep my golf clubs in the passenger seat.

Sometimes I think of just getting a BRZ just so I can tinker again. I don't want to mod the 911 and the F is already FBO.
Old 08-11-13, 08:09 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

More than half your posts mention you're either tired of the ISF, going to get another car other than an ISF, you want a 911 or you have a stock car.

Seriously.. just save us the ordeal and step up to another car lol. We get it.. you're tired of your car and you want a better one but you have financial and/or commitment issues.
Old 08-11-13, 09:28 PM
Petshark
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ haha toothdoc, cup holders do suck.. Of all the cars I have driven the F is the most entertaining. If you're bored with the F you'll probably be bored with most that fits your budget. Quit driving it for awhile and see how much you miss it. Just like a woman duh lol.
Old 08-11-13, 09:59 PM
allst4risf
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get the gt3 911 !!!!
Old 08-11-13, 10:16 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
If you're bored of the IS-F, go rent a corolla for a week and then come back. No, if you are bored with it, go take it to a race track and you'll appreciate it more for what it can do.

If your daily commute is boring, then find a different route.
I actually have back-to-back-to-back business trips for the next 3 weeks. Maybe I'll miss the IS F and start hating life because i'm in a Toyota Yaris

Originally Posted by ISFpat
More than half your posts mention you're either tired of the ISF, going to get another car other than an ISF, you want a 911 or you have a stock car.

Seriously.. just save us the ordeal and step up to another car lol. We get it.. you're tired of your car and you want a better one but you have financial and/or commitment issues.
No, i do not want to save you the ordeal.

Originally Posted by allst4risf
get the gt3 911 !!!!
Can't afford it right now because someone in my family just screwed me for $300,000. Oh...that's in US money.
Old 08-11-13, 10:42 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If u can't afford something in the $80-100 range then just stick with the F nothing else out there worth having unless its around $100k plus.

Lets cut to the chase what can you afford or spend? Kinda pointless asking questions if u can't afford anything your wanting
Old 08-12-13, 08:47 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about E63 AMG? You did bring up other German cars so had to throw in MB. I just drove the F 14 hours this weekend to Canada and back and wasn't bored at all. Having 416hp at your fingertips and the ability to pass cars with no effort is pretty fun, coupled with excellent seats and seeing other people's reactions as you drive by. Commuting to work I split time between my Integra and the F so it makes me appreciate the F more. I think if I drove the F daily, I'd probably get bored of it too.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 08-12-13 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-12-13, 09:34 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me

You and I are very much on the same page except I'm not married and I don't have kids. I like my IS F just because it has room. I wish I wasn't so bored of the F....

The thing that just worries me most is reliability. Yeah, I've had the tranny replaced in my IS F, but outside of that, it's been a good car. No dead fuel pumps or rattling steering or random shut offs or it needing to be towed to the dealer. Yeah yeah...I know...you gotta pay to play.

Funny how we have some members that have made posts that they recently got their IS F and they're super excited about it and my F just bores me. lol
Nothing wrong with getting bored with a car after a number of years. I am still very much in the "I love this car" phase, but after I hit 5 years of ownership like you have I'm sure I'll be looking for something else. That's just the way it is for some of us. The Porsche has always been the "holy grail" of cars for me though, and when I finally got to a point with my income where I could justify one, I look up and I have two kids and a fat mortgage that have priority. IDEALLY, I'd have something like an ISF for a daily and then something like a Porsche 911 Turbo or GT3 for weekends and fun days... sorta like ToothDoc... but I'm not there yet.

I don't know your financial status, but if it is feasible, do you think you could keep your ISF and then pick up something like perhaps a 997.1 C2S or even a 996 Turbo? Before I got my ISF, I was deep in to pricing out a 997.1 C2S (still couldn't afford the GT3) and then rocking something like a older TSX for a daily. I ultimately decided that I'd rather have something that I could enjoy every day. Maybe when my time comes to upgrade, I'll look at what is out there and decide differently. I can tell right now that if all Lexus has in the performance division is a 2-door RCF and an $80K GSF, I'll be more likely to get that used Porsche for around $50K and then something reliable for a daily. I really like the new Cayman S even more than the 997.1 C2S.
Old 08-12-13, 09:54 AM
gshyu
Rookie

If you're looking for more of a "fling" than a "marriage" to a performance vehicle and don't want to have to deal with long term issues, I would HIGHLY recommend leasing any vehicle you're remotely curious in. By that, I don't mean signing a full 3-year lease with a dealership with a few grand down at drive off... I mean lease takeovers.

Take a look at sites such as:
leasetrader.com
swapalease.com

A lot of times, you'll quite literally take over the person's lease without money down. Then, after you're done, on to the next!
Old 08-12-13, 01:44 PM
Clownshoes
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a 2003 996 to a BMW 535i, then to my F.

The BMW is a POS. Hence

The 996 was a great car, and easily out handles the F. Power to weight ratio is nearly identical, but the ride quality is vastly different. The F’s ride is much better and having owned both now, I’ll take the F over the 996, with a caveat below.

Not sure what year 911 you are looking at getting, but the 996 is a lot like a full sized go-kart with a very gnarly engine. It is a great second car, but it was my primary car and therefore limited a lot of what the F is useful for. I have one car at a time. I have owned multiple cars simultaneously before, but I always end up just driving one 99% of the time so I just stick to one now. However, if I ever get back into owning multiple cars, a 911 variant will definitely be one of them.

I looked at getting an S5 when considering the F during the lemon lawing of the Bavarian Shizaworks Turd. I read numerous complaints about excessive carbon build up in the intakes, problematic paint issues and ubiquitous interior rattles and buzzes. After my BMW nightmare, I am glad I went to the ISF. I have no regrets and the F outperforms the BMW in every aspect.
Old 08-12-13, 01:55 PM
ISF4TRACK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISFpat

^^^This....just move on to another car already. Your whining and nitpicking of other members in this forum is getting pretty old.
Old 08-12-13, 02:44 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
That's why i said "for the most part". When you consider the fact that the transmission going out was the only issue I had in 87,000 miles and even though it cost me $4000, that's not bad considering what BMWs owners go through.
Guess to Toyota owners a tranny going out is not a "not so bad" thing nor is paying $4000 to fix it at 87Kmi. Toyota owners are spoiled (and rightfully so) by the reliability of the brand and stuff that many BMW owners consider "ehh thats not bad " to Toyota owners is "WTF do you mean my tranny needs to be replaced??!, this car is a POS!"
To many (not all) we bought this car because Toyota finally answered our cries for a serious performance car with big power...and no its not the "BEST" performer nor is it the "fastest" out the box....but pound for pound ...it will outlast anything out there and with little issue...because Toyota built it. and to us that still means something.

So yeah expect us to crap on the German build if anything for its "not to our standard of reliability" factor.

We dont know anything about blown trannies and stuff. that kind of stuff is almost unheard of 'round these parts..lol

Last edited by NYC ES3; 08-12-13 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: German Performance -> Japanese Performance Convert?