IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Direct Shift vs Dual Clutch Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 10:54 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Juanca knows what he's talking about. When I downshift from 7th gear to 3rd gear in my 911, it's slow as hell also with the PDK. The only advantage PDK has is that if I know I'm going to race, I just hit the sport plus button and it takes me to the absolute lowest gear possible instantly.

The 8 speed is definitely better around town, it's nice to creep around totally smooth, it's also nice to NOT go backwards on slight inclines.

On a race track, if you were an expert, you might save yourself .01 seconds per lap with a true dual clutch over the 8 speed. Seriously, the 8 speed is that good - the only thing lacking is the SPORT PLUS button that puts the IS-F in the lowest gear at all times - but that might have been addressed in the newest IS generation.
Old 08-10-13, 01:13 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
this dude knows what he's talking about
Originally Posted by Just F Me
no he doesn't
Originally Posted by PatrickISF
Care to enlighten? I know I am not always correct but just wondering from your perspective.
LMAO...SORRY! I got PatrickISF and ISFpat confused. I thought the original comment from ROK was actually towards ISFpat therefore I said "no he doesn't"...

Just trying to pull ISFpat's tail...that is all...sorry for the confusion. Carry on.........
Old 08-11-13, 08:15 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
LMAO...SORRY! I got PatrickISF and ISFpat confused. I thought the original comment from ROK was actually towards ISFpat therefore I said "no he doesn't"...

Just trying to pull ISFpat's tail...that is all...sorry for the confusion. Carry on.........
You are always just full of fail.
Old 08-12-13, 06:43 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
The only advantage PDK has is that if I know I'm going to race, I just hit the sport plus button and it takes me to the absolute lowest gear possible instantly. [...]Seriously, the 8 speed is that good - the only thing lacking is the SPORT PLUS button that puts the IS-F in the lowest gear at all times - but that might have been addressed in the newest IS generation.
I remember in the IS 350, shifting over to manual mode dropped the car to a lower gear, for acceleration. I don't recall if it was the minimum gear, but it was definitely nicer than nothing.

I know with the F, holding the left paddle in auto mode will drop gears, but that's not especially helpful. It would be nice if throwing it into manual mode would drop it down a few, at least while in Sports mode.

Either way, I agree. It's not perfect, but it's still a very nice gearbox.
Old 08-12-13, 07:16 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little trick to downshifting faster is to be in auto mode, hit the left paddle - usually goes from 8th down to like 5th then put it into manual mode and go down. If you're in manual and in 8th, it takes a while to go through one gear at a time.

But then again, on a race track, you don't downshift from 8-7-6-5-4-3 in a couple of seconds. It takes time to scrub off speed and the car can shift faster than the car can slow down so in a real track setting, the car does NOT downshift slow.
Old 08-12-13, 07:50 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It is always a compromise isn't it? I like the fact that ours is a modified traditional automatic with torque converter because it is truly lexus ls smooth in 99% of the driving I do which is run errands, commute, etc. While I dont mind having the dct\pdk performance edge, for what the isf is, I prefer not hearing it rev match everytime I come to a stop going down gears. It is prob more reliable end of day given the reduced complexity. Less odd noises and such too which I value.

Isf is just butter but this doesn't make the m3, c63 bad in any way. Just diff values.
Old 08-13-13, 07:16 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
A little trick to downshifting faster is to be in auto mode, hit the left paddle - usually goes from 8th down to like 5th then put it into manual mode and go down. If you're in manual and in 8th, it takes a while to go through one gear at a time.
I noticed this on my road trip this weekend. Will have to try it again...