IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Who in here has done an ISF to ISF switch/trade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 09:53 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not too thrilled about the giant tach but I would like the digital odo. The LED strip is so played out that I don't even want that. And true LSD, if you don't track the car, how can you tell the difference on local roads? One of my buddies Dorrian took his car to VIR and posted a very respectable time in his 08 which does not have the new LSD from 2010+ F's.

So, in short, I wouldn't trade up. For me, the minor changes in the later models does not justify the price increase.

P.S. - the 08-09 "samurai blade" wheels are my favorite.
Old 08-08-13, 10:02 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if you can't tell you have a functional mechanical LSD in a car on the streets, then you shouldn't be driving anything but fwd cars. you can tell immediately in any corner that you push (at least i can and i'm not track rat).

and how can DRL LEDs be played out when it's been proven to aid in visibility? do you really think all these major manufacturers would place them in cars because it's for show? no way. it just so happens that it makes the front end look a lot more modern.

i remember seeing these light hooks blinding me in my rearview on the fwy. it was low slung, late evening... and it was aggressive as all heck. then as it passed realized it was an ISF. looked like a UFO. amazing.

hot

Last edited by ROK; 08-08-13 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-08-13, 10:11 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chose to buy a 08 over a 11, whats your point? I didnt need the cosmetic stuff, I dont road course race, I preferred the full leather, and I got a car with lower miles. I could have bought the 11 but it wasnt in as good as shape or have the mileage the 08 did. According to you Im an idiot. Iv always had DRL turned off from the dealer in all my cars anyways, or coding. and if you are pushing it so hard on the streets where you need the LSD, you are most likely going to be getting super speeder tickets and or wreckless driving.

and Vtothe, I do love the blade wheels, I just wish I could get a set of them from Canada

Last edited by CUTigers; 08-08-13 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-08-13, 10:12 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

OP, there are 2 black 2013's in California right now, and a used 2012 Nebula Gray. (Autotrader.com)

But as others said, wait another year, see what Lexus dishes out.
Old 08-08-13, 10:16 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Those are just cosmetic , u can replace all those parts, if u have 08 thru 10 , or find a wrecked ISF 2011 + lolz , u can do much more than even the 2014+ dont have Customized it ( all JDM parts )

Last edited by ISF4life; 08-08-13 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-08-13, 10:22 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CUTigers
I chose to buy a 08 over a 11, whats your point? I didnt need the cosmetic stuff, I dont road course race, I preferred the full leather, and I got a car with lower miles. I could have bought the 11 but it wasnt in as good as shape or have the mileage the 08 did. According to you Im an idiot. Iv always had DRL turned off from the dealer in all my cars anyways, or coding. and if you are pushing it so hard on the streets where you need the LSD, you are most likely going to be getting super speeder tickets and or wreckless driving.

and Vtothe, I do love the blade wheels, I just wish I could get a set of them from Canada
not saying you're an idiot per se (of course not), but your 08 is definitely less desirable than an '11 in the same condition. in fact, i'd say much less desirable given the significant mechanical and cosmetic updates. the E9X M3 did not go through any sort of major component upgrade throughout its lifespan. the isf took a huge leap in '10 and really '11+.

i personally find the '08 models really dated in and out. but i'm kinda car crazy so ymmv.
Old 08-08-13, 11:28 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ROK
if you can't tell you have a functional mechanical LSD in a car on the streets, then you shouldn't be driving anything but fwd cars. you can tell immediately in any corner that you push (at least i can and i'm not track rat).

and how can DRL LEDs be played out when it's been proven to aid in visibility? do you really think all these major manufacturers would place them in cars because it's for show? no way. it just so happens that it makes the front end look a lot more modern.

i remember seeing these light hooks blinding me in my rearview on the fwy. it was low slung, late evening... and it was aggressive as all heck. then as it passed realized it was an ISF. looked like a UFO. amazing.
1) If you're pushing the car around corners such that you want to test the LSD on local roads, it's dangerous

2) Show me studies that prove LED strips aid visibility more than the AFS (headlights that actually turn in the same direction you are turning, prevalent in 08-10 models)

3) You just said light hooks blinded you... not so safe huh .... by the way most front ends look like that now, even Kia's and Hyundai's.
Old 08-08-13, 12:48 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
not saying you're an idiot per se (of course not), but your 08 is definitely less desirable than an '11 in the same condition. in fact, i'd say much less desirable given the significant mechanical and cosmetic updates. the E9X M3 did not go through any sort of major component upgrade throughout its lifespan. the isf took a huge leap in '10 and really '11+.

i personally find the '08 models really dated in and out. but i'm kinda car crazy so ymmv.
Hmm... that's quite an exaggeration, no? The cosmetic changes between the earlier year ISFs and the later models are subtle. Very subtle. How can one look dated and the other not? The biggest changes (LSD, suspension, wider wheels) cannot be seen from looking at the two side by side.
Old 08-08-13, 12:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Just curious, who in here has had an older model ISF and traded it up for a newer model? I know that from a financial standpoint, this is a stupid idea, but I'm sort of considering it and was just curious if anyone else had done it.

For me, it'd have to be the exact right car and right price for me to pull the trigger. I'd be specifically looking for an Obsidian '12 or '13 with Alpine or the red/black interior, with mileage lower than my car currently has (I have a 2009 with 27,800mi currently), and all for the right deal in both the purchase price of the new car and the trade of my car. I realize my list is so specific that it will probably be impossible for me to find the right deal. Still, I love those two interior colors, like the headlights, hard drive based nav, LSD, suspension and other minor bits that the newer cars came with. Right now, the only car that I'd even remotely want to trade my ISF for is a newer ISF... especially since the new RCF will be two doors and the new GSF (if such a thing will even be made) is probably going to be closer to M5 pricing, which is too much.
It's not a bad idea at all. In fact if I had a 2008 or 2009 I'd have levied to get at least a 2010 simply for Bluetooth Audio. I despise using my AUX in my IS.
Old 08-08-13, 03:36 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ROK

You seem to be on a mission on making your purchase of a 2011+ justified compared to the older models.

In the end you have your preference, everyone else has theirs. I can easily make an argument that a 2011+ looks like any other car on the road with it's LED's.. I can make another argument that the "single gauge cluster" is the same cluster that comes on new civics.

Maybe from where you come from, newer cars are really that much more valuable. But here in Cali (where the majority of IS-F's are at), we have a vast selection of IS-F's to choose from and some chose the older styles over the new one because it suits them better.

You'll never persuade some of us your logic about newer model IS-F's. You call my DRL's burrito.. i call yours a pair of eyelashes. you say my cluster comes from a SUV.. i say your cluster looks like it came from a 2006+ civic.

Last edited by ISFpat; 08-08-13 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-08-13, 05:04 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car is so 2008 and completely dated looking, almost vintage. When parked next to 2011 people can't even believe they are from the same manufacturer. When I first saw a 2011 I really thought it was the new Gallardo, it was just unreal how distinctive looking the body was compared to my lowly 08 model. I'm actually embarrassed driving my 08 around town, good thing I have really dark tint so people won't see the loser inside the car driving it.
Old 08-08-13, 05:11 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

hahaha this thread has gone slightly off course.
Old 08-08-13, 08:21 PM
GriMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really going off course. They are just highlighting the minor/major differences from 08 all the way to 13. I think it's more personal preference than anything else. Some likes newer things thinking it's better than previous yrs. it may very well be but then it may not to some. Again, personal preference. Me personally i love all yrs but to trade it wont give me more better experience. Just more finance headache. But thats just my two cent.
Old 08-08-13, 08:37 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys are brutal!! If you love the 08, then 08 is for you. If you love the 11+ then that's also for you. All in personal preference. Worth it or not it is all up to you so don't force your taste on other people by calling out the other.
Old 08-09-13, 06:11 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrd916
my car is so 2008 and completely dated looking, almost vintage. When parked next to 2011 people can't even believe they are from the same manufacturer. When i first saw a 2011 i really thought it was the new gallardo, it was just unreal how distinctive looking the body was compared to my lowly 08 model. I'm actually embarrassed driving my 08 around town, good thing i have really dark tint so people won't see the loser inside the car driving it.
lol....... :d

Last edited by VtotheJ; 08-09-13 at 07:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Who in here has done an ISF to ISF switch/trade?