IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Torsen Diff swap... the internals

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 08:28 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Torsen Diff swap... the internals

So I know there is tons of info out there about the ISF diff swap with say a 2011 torsen rear or say a supra 6speed/ auto rear but has anyone swapped the internals.

What Im trying to do is find out if i can swap the INTERNALS of my 2008 ISF with a torsen unit of a 6 speed or auto supra. this will entail taking the inernals of the supra and swapping the ring gear but Ive been doing research and haven't seen much any one done this yet care to share?

does anyone have any measurement of the actual diff unit inside of the carrier? etc how large/ how many bolt pattern is the diff.
Old 08-03-13, 09:34 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the reasoning on just not getting a new ISF diff? No clue about your question though, sry.
Old 08-03-13, 10:18 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

The part numbers for the bearings make this an interesting question, but the measurements are not something most members here would know. I have no desire to pop open my 6 speed Torsen in my Supra to see if it would be an easy swap. FWIW, many of the auto Supras did not come with a Torsen LSD from the factory, so you need to be careful and check the build sheet on the car or open the diff if you buy one to be sure it really is the Torsen unit.
Old 08-03-13, 02:09 PM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The part numbers for the bearings make this an interesting question, but the measurements are not something most members here would know. I have no desire to pop open my 6 speed Torsen in my Supra to see if it would be an easy swap. FWIW, many of the auto Supras did not come with a Torsen LSD from the factory, so you need to be careful and check the build sheet on the car or open the diff if you buy one to be sure it really is the Torsen unit.
Did they come with a clutch pack type? My STi had that. Worked reasonably well.
Old 08-03-13, 05:25 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CUTigers
Whats the reasoning on just not getting a new ISF diff? No clue about your question though, sry.
new diff, = good amount of cash. if the supra diff will work it could be had cheap and help quite a few people out looking to do the same thing for cheaper. plus I do alot of mechanical work and I would prefer to do it this way as compared to the other way. and finding another used unit is almost impossible.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yea i figured this may not be a typical question here. I may just pop my ISF diff unit open and check it to my SC diff I have laying around. I know the auto TT diff will bolt right into the sc diff.

it is very interesting that the bearings are the same, could be a good stepping stone forward.
Old 08-03-13, 06:29 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Biggu
new diff, = good amount of cash. if the supra diff will work it could be had cheap and help quite a few people out looking to do the same thing for cheaper. plus I do alot of mechanical work and I would prefer to do it this way as compared to the other way. and finding another used unit is almost impossible.
Gotcha, I was just curious. I dont know much about toyota. Iv just seen the guys here picking up used diffs for like 750 or so. I was a day late on calling a guy that was local to me about one, I was so disappointed when he said he sold it the day before.
Old 08-03-13, 10:40 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

just get a 2nd had my 11+ diff from the wreckers
even with putting a OSgiken diff centre in the ISF i had to shave the casing inside
theres alot of mucking around even with a ISF specific diff
so im guessing with a toyota supra diff
your in a world your uncertain factors
Old 08-04-13, 05:25 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

well after looking at figs blog about installing a OS GIKEN diff into the back end I can tell you that it it may work but might be alot of changes.

http://figsengineering.blogspot.com/...-lock-tcd.html

The axles on the ISF uses a slip yolk to lock into place while the Supra uses more of a stub shaft.

Figs did say they think the ring gear will bolt on which is a good sign. Im betting that I could get this to all work with changing axles and what not.

Wish i could just find a wrecked 2011 to pull the diff from.
Old 08-04-13, 07:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Keep in mind the Torsen is not a clutch type, and will spin like an open diff if one wheel has zero traction (i.e. hard turn, inside rear wheel off the ground). The eLSD will fix this, but it won't be as effective as a true clutch type will.
Old 02-19-14, 08:38 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

So not to bring up an old thread but after more research I think an auto Mkiv supra Torsen will work in out housings. It is a 10 bolt just like ours (still trying to confirm). As far as axles, one could simply get a set of supra axles and just change the inner shaft off and it should be the same length no issues. I need to get some time to pull my diff out and do some checking.
Old 02-19-14, 11:39 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I dunno...if you going to go through the work of pulling it all out, you might just want to go aftermarket clutch type...

Unless you can get a supra diff for cheap and want the torsen for low maintenance...
Old 02-19-14, 02:01 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Biggu, I have one with less than 4000 miles that will be coming off of my 2013, to be replaced with an OS Giken unit. If you can wait, PM me for details.
Old 02-19-14, 03:35 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Biggu - if you make it over this weekend bring that Diff and lets figure it out! Torsen is on my short list of must have mods !!!
Old 02-19-14, 03:50 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Biggu, I have one with less than 4000 miles that will be coming off of my 2013, to be replaced with an OS Giken unit. If you can wait, PM me for details.
Sent you a PM

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Biggu - if you make it over this weekend bring that Diff and lets figure it out! Torsen is on my short list of must have mods !!!
Only one way Id make it out that way . Sadly I dont have a 10 bolt torsen in front of me but I do have a 12 bolt.

this is the thread im seeing my pictures.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-in-japan.html