IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

C63 owner about to convert

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 06:25 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgui
Considering how the ISF was a skunkworks type projects, its amazing how reliable the car is. How the hell do the Germans **** it up with their cars?! At some point in my life I want to own a C63, M3, M5, S7 and so forth, but not until they get their act together. My wife has a lady boner for a new 5 series now but I told her that I would only support her getting a non-turbo just because of the issues seen with their turbo engines.

What was the topic?
You will be out of luck on that now, new 5 series is boosted 4, boosted 6, boosted 8. and the M5 V10 is redic expensive to fix.

Originally Posted by jordanaf
No tune, not happening? That's a real bummer, especially after 5 years. No spray for me.

Good to know I don't have to fork over $2k+ for an LSD, like the C63. It is always an add-on. there are packages to get you one, but again those packages cost money. So in the Merc world, you always have to pony-up for an LSD.
@weistec charger... pretty sweet stuff with the new AMG turbo motors that are cheaper to get up there in power.
Old 08-03-13, 10:58 PM
Endgame
Driver

Originally Posted by CUTigers
idk why every always hates on the earlier suspension for comfortable. I have zero problem with it, even my gf and other girls say its not that bad that reviews make it out to be.
Agreed. The earlier F's suspension is not bad at all.
Old 08-03-13, 11:32 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

idk why every always hates on the earlier suspension for comfortable. I have zero problem with it, even my gf and other girls say its not that bad that reviews make it out to be.
Originally Posted by Endgame
Agreed. The earlier F's suspension is not bad at all.
Because people are lame. They want the best handling car, but they also want it to be comfortable so that you don't spill your latte on your way to work.

Just like how they want the most stopping power, with zero brake dust and zero noise. Oh, they also want the pads to last forever and also want them to be installed on to the car by using only telekinesis .
Old 08-04-13, 09:08 AM
jordanaf

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
First of all, welcome and I got take my hats off. Most people do not consider another brand or keep an open mind about things.

I think the rest of the crew here covered everything I would. I think it really comes down to what you want to do next.

It sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to building (I mean modding) an AMG vehicle.

The F does not have have that kind of aftermarket support, but as others mentioned, it's very very reliable and comfortable to drive.

The 2nd gen is around the corner, but I feel you should at least test drive a 2012 or a 2013 to get an idea how the car behaves, etc.

I got to drive my buddy's stock C63 some months ago, and I did like it. It was a BEAST on steroids, I can only imagine what that car can do with 600 RWHP.

Either way you go, have fun with the next project.

I do know my stuff about modding AMG's. I have been in that world for a while and am very familiar with all the company's and most products out there.

But I wanted to address something that you said. Thank you for tipping your hat to me. I appreciate the words. Most of the guys in the Merc and BMW world would NEVER consider another brand, especially Lexus. I have a very open mind and can really appreciate the ISF. I have liked them ever since I first saw one. Those other guys stay on their forums and with the guys that they know with equaling car brands. But especially the people with German manufacturers. Even though I went from a 2008 C63 to a 2010 C63, all the while I could very much appreciate the ISF. I really like the looks and the sound, on occasion, of the ISF. I really like that blue that is reserved for the ISF only. I would lean towards that graphite grey, I think that is one sexy color, but would not shy away from blue or white.

I do not think I have the time to wait for the next gen. I am looking now and need a car within the next few weeks.

Yeah, it's nice that your buddy let you drive his C63. i have let several people drive mine and the same thing. They smiled the whole time and came away with an almost scary impression. They are, even in stock form, BEAST'S!! And yes, pushing almost 600RWH is crazy. And take it from me, you can yourself into trouble really quickly, with police and keeping it under control. I have received many tickets and have gone off course on the local track down here many times. It is very easy to turn it around and end up facing the other direction.

And to tell you guys, I would not have set-up a profile and signed on here if I wasn't serious. I have already put in some significant time with you guys here and I'm liking it.
Old 08-04-13, 09:56 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

The Ultrasonic blue is no longer reserved for the ISF only anymore.

And ya, most BMW and Merc people are brand *****s for their brand. But we do have lots of previous owners of modded 335s that have a F now, me included :-D
Old 08-04-13, 05:19 PM
jordanaf

Originally Posted by vbb
Jordan: Welcome to the forum. As many have said, if you switch from the C63 to the ISF, you'll be giving up power for reliability. With the major bolt ons for this car, you're looking at around 410whp (or roughly 500 at the crank). If you're coming from a car with close to 600 at the wheels, I fear you're always going to feel like the car is a little slow/underpowered. There aren't too many cars out there that will make the ISF seem weak, but a modded C63 or GTR are definitely two of the more common ones.

If you're looking for a Japanese performance sedan, this is definitely the car to buy. If you're looking for way better gas mileage, you'll find it here. To me, and to just about everyone here, the reliability is worth the lack of aftermarket support. Plus the car is super rare. You'll come across car guys who have never even heard of the ISF, much less seen one. That's pretty cool. And anyway, I've got more than enough power to get me in trouble, so more would be cool, but never really in use. This car will pull hard well into the triple digits without running out of breath.

In short, the car is worth a hard look, but test drive one to make sure you can live with the power difference than what you're used to.
I do like the fact that it is a hardly known car. I always like exclusivity and rareness. Triple digits are all good with me, even though I really shouldn't be pushing these days.

Test drive on Tuesday, I'm pumped!!!!!

Originally Posted by tgui
500HP at the crank with all the bolt ons with the ISF. Not too shabby but not the beast levels of output you can get from a C63/CTSV and so forth.

Considering how the ISF was a skunkworks type projects, its amazing how reliable the car is. How the hell do the Germans **** it up with their cars?! At some point in my life I want to own a C63, M3, M5, S7 and so forth, but not until they get their act together. My wife has a lady boner for a new 5 series now but I told her that I would only support her getting a non-turbo just because of the issues seen with their turbo engines.

(let it be known I'm not a controlling husband, she has a PHD, makes good money, its just me that has to deal with **** when it breaks)

What was the topic?
HaHa!! It's so easy to get side tracked.

Anyway, I do know what you mean and I also hear your wife. I am a sucker for a N/A V8 any day. But, even though I've been in the German world for a while, I will confess. It does suck to be out of a car for a while and the little quirks are annoying.

Originally Posted by roswell
Love this thread, great infos guys.. Keep them coming!
Meng-

This is a decent thread. It's opening my eyes up to the world of the ISF and seems like some wonderful guys. I'm getting some good info, some nice German/Japanese comparisons, and some decent info on the ISF from some guys who love their cars.

Originally Posted by amgone75
im very content with the power i put down. its just frustrating that theres no tune for US ecus. but i love the F and im sure you will too hit me up anytime for more info
Thanks, I appreciate it. I wasn't sure how this would be received in you guys world. And I feel like you are definitely qualified, seeing how you have been behind the wheel of AMG and love your ISF. Anything else you can contribute would be great. Not just for me, but for anyone seeking an ISF. You guys just call it the F?

Originally Posted by ariescrown
Can someone help me. I am a new member who has an important post to make but I don't know how to do so. Thanks,
Upper left corner. It basically says, Start a New Thread. Easy as can be.

The Ultrasonic blue is no longer reserved for the ISF only anymore.

And ya, most BMW and Merc people are brand *****s for their brand. But we do have lots of previous owners of modded 335s that have a F now, me included :-D
I can live without the blue. I am really digging that Graphite or Obsidian anyway. That blue is a sharp color though. Can in now be had on any Lexus?

You guys really informed and I really appreciate it. As Meng said, keep it coming!!!!
Old 08-04-13, 05:33 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

The ultrasonic blue could be had on 2011+ F sport packages I believe. It isnt available yet on the new 2014 models.

Test drives are fun!
Old 08-04-13, 06:09 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If u buy it get an exhaust immediately, coming from a C63 u will be very disappointed with the stock sounding exhaust of the F. U will prob want to upgrade tire size to 245/35/19 in front and 275/30/19 in back if u buy a 2011. When I was a newbie on this forum last year when I bought my car everybody was really helpful and these were the best kids I did. PPE headers really make the car sing with a Joe Z exhaust, I haven't gone header route, Joe Z gets all the attention I need
Old 08-04-13, 07:56 PM
thatnewguy
Driver

I keep checking this thread to see if you've pulled the trigger yet...

Just do it haha
Old 08-04-13, 09:28 PM
jordanaf

Originally Posted by thatnewguy
I keep checking this thread to see if you've pulled the trigger yet...

Just do it haha
Gotta find one first!!!!!!

It's been kin of hard, so I guess there really is a low production of this car. Anyway, I have a test drive planned in two days.

Very excited.
Old 08-04-13, 11:42 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure to press that little SPORT button on the steering wheel when you test drive.
Old 08-05-13, 04:51 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Gotta find one first!!!!!!

It's been kin of hard, so I guess there really is a low production of this car. Anyway, I have a test drive planned in two days.

Very excited.
Yes, very low production. Just over 11K made worldwide over the entire 6 years the car was made, and after the first year (2008) less than 1000/year were sold in the US. Before I bought one and met other owners, I think I'd seen maybe 2 or 3 ISFs on the road over the course of 5 years. I saw more Lamborghinis than ISFs.

That rarity is one of the other reasons I like this car so much. I hope the new RCF has similar limited production.
Old 08-05-13, 09:08 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Rumors are there will be a V8?

I do not mind driving a 2012/2013, even if a new style comes out. I'm kinda getting in to the ISF now.
Just making sure you know the F is a V8 and always has been.

Just clarifying....As some people have asked me if its a V6 before...thinking for some reason the engine is the same as the IS350 with a bump in HP.
Old 08-05-13, 09:11 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thatnewguy
You'll see the same things repeated. We'd love to bring you to the "dark side" but if your thing is major tuning, you won't be happy. However, if you're okay with only certain mods, then ill go ahead and welcome you to the family!

When you decide to go with the F, shoot for anything 2011 and up. That is the current gen model with the Torsen LSD, the new style gauge cluster, and the updated suspension tuning. There may have been a few other minor tweaks, but those are the major ones.

2010 also has Torsen LSD
Old 08-05-13, 09:13 AM
jordanaf

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
Just making sure you know the F is a V8 and always has been.

Just clarifying....As some people have asked me if its a V6 before...thinking for some reason the engine is the same as the IS350 with a bump in HP.
Thank you very much for that clarification. I'll own up. I thought I did my research, but somehow I missed that. I did in fact think that it was a "factory tuned" 350. How are you guys getting such great gas milage? What is the displacement?

And what are the real number's of MPG that most of you are seeing? I use only 93 octane. You guys?

Quick Reply: C63 owner about to convert