IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tire up size

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-13, 07:07 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you even begin to compare info/decisions here with factory engineers let alone those on the F program, you need to seriously rethink everything you've been thinking. Diffusers? Intakes? Tuning? Hella flush fitment? LOL

And btw, the gt3 IS first and foremost a car built for the street. Period.
Old 08-25-13, 08:20 AM
ACEtheOG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
If you even begin to compare info/decisions here with factory engineers let alone those on the F program, you need to seriously rethink everything you've been thinking. Diffusers? Intakes? Tuning? Hella flush fitment? LOL

nowhere in my post do I discount the engineering work behind the is-f. in fact i applaude the team for continously improving the car year after year (+lsd +reworked suspension +wider wheels) since inception. if i thought what you are implying i wouldn't have bought the car. im simply stating that certain parts are chosen for reasons other than performance. there are other influences. For example, the is-f came from factory with different tires, some got ps2s and others got re050as.

yes the gt3 is a car built for the street... but the engineering exercise for this car is not comparable to the is-f. come on man, a base 911 starts at cdn $100k and could spank an is-f around the track. the gt3 is an even more hardcore interpretation - a race car you can legally drive on public roads. You said it yourself, the gt3 guys wanted to take the sport cups to the limit. a base is starts at $40k and is an entry level luxury car.

but to each there own. i respectfully agree to disagree.

my intention was to share my experience with members that are looking to do something similar.
Old 08-25-13, 08:54 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK

Are you serious or just wanting to argue This forum is for members to share their ideas and experiences on what modifications work to improve an already great machine and what doesn't. You seem to be locked into the idea that what came stock on the car, is good, has been tested by Lexus engineers and I wont mess with it. And, that's fine - FOR YOU!

Most of us here, don't share that view and want to improve on a good thing. I know my F is better than when it was stock.

Maybe this isn't the right forum for you, I just don't know. But, let the members who want to share their ideas share them with those who are interested and want to learn from their experiences. Your needling of members who modify their machine and report their findings is not helpful or warranted.

Lou
Old 08-25-13, 01:53 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ACEtheOG
nowhere in my post do I discount the engineering work behind the is-f. in fact i applaude the team for continously improving the car year after year (+lsd +reworked suspension +wider wheels) since inception. if i thought what you are implying i wouldn't have bought the car. im simply stating that certain parts are chosen for reasons other than performance. there are other influences. For example, the is-f came from factory with different tires, some got ps2s and others got re050as.

yes the gt3 is a car built for the street... but the engineering exercise for this car is not comparable to the is-f. come on man, a base 911 starts at cdn $100k and could spank an is-f around the track. the gt3 is an even more hardcore interpretation - a race car you can legally drive on public roads. You said it yourself, the gt3 guys wanted to take the sport cups to the limit. a base is starts at $40k and is an entry level luxury car.

but to each there own. i respectfully agree to disagree.

my intention was to share my experience with members that are looking to do something similar.
all g my dude. i've been in this game for a while now and what i've learned is, the one with the deepest pockets usually wins. in this case, the factory well over the small businesses that make-up the aftermarket save for a handful that truly know what it is they're doing and selling.

this applies to forum people as well - will naturally defend those things they put money and time into - beware of the fluff.
Old 08-26-13, 11:42 AM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ROK
and you tested this in your local strip mall, right? or did you have full open access to the nurburgring or suzuka with a fleet of highly paid, highly skilled, highly trained automotive engineers?
You are correct, I do not have access to the nurburgring or the Fuji speedway to make my "comparison" but by you saying that are you trying to dispute EVERY mod EVERY user of this forum has done? If you are not here to help with the OP's questions on Upsizing tires and just looking to argue, then I'd have to agree with Lowrideraz and that perhaps this isnt the right forum for you.
Old 08-26-13, 11:50 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IsFast3r
You are correct, I do not have access to the nurburgring or the Fuji speedway to make my "comparison" but by you saying that are you trying to dispute EVERY mod EVERY user of this forum has done? If you are not here to help with the OP's questions on Upsizing tires and just looking to argue, then I'd have to agree with Lowrideraz and that perhaps this isnt the right forum for you.
You need to seriously get over your and remove those blinders

It is a case by case basis for me. I call it as I see it and mean no harm. If I see people doing nonsensical things based on inane reasoning I'll will chime in.

I don't have access to the ring or suzuka either correct? But I do know my '12 car's setup as put together by toyota F engineers spending thousands of man hours and $$$$s so I don't have to back it up cuz they do.

As for the forum people saying their upsized tires r the best thing since sliced bread? I have my doubts. Next. Well, it looks awkward for dam sure.

Last edited by ROK; 08-26-13 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-26-13, 01:44 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
You need to seriously get over your and remove those blinders
Sounds like the pot calling the kettle, you know

Lou
Old 08-26-13, 01:47 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

it seems to me the 2008 guys give me the most attn wonder why
Old 08-27-13, 11:49 PM
Weav808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the advice. Again, in my original post, I was able to get tires for good price of what was in stock (reason for my size questioning). $950 OTD in Hawaii is damn good! Love the tire setup so far and that's what matters.

@ROK- In your rationalization; I totally destroyed my R34 GTR v-spec when I decided to get it tuned by mine's (in Japan), add wider Volk's, HKS suspension, etc. The end result was disrespect for GTR engineers with a beast from hell that would run 11's all day mildly tuned. Just saying... The isF engineers did'nt put LFA standards in your car. Enjoy your ride and make it yours.