Formal 335i Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 06:42 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Formal 335i Owners...

I noticed quite a few people here that went from 335i to IS-F

With maintenance and reliability aside, how does it feel? Any regrets to the IS-F?
How about going from the BMW brand in general?

I love BMW, I really do. I always had this ignorant concept that Lexus were for women and BMW were men driver's cars.

However the IS-F with it's monster torque and big V8 just brought a huge smile to my face.

I'm just wondering if I would miss the special features of owning a BMW. Such as the coding options as having power folding mirrors close and open upon locking and relocking, sunroof and windows close when rain sensor detects rain. HDD drive music player. brake life indicators and service display on iDrive. Headlights come on automatically when wipers are on low. Those DRL halos. BMW assist app and I can lock and unlock my car via iPhone and locate on map. Ability to check the oil via iDrive (although I still would rather have a physical dip stick).

Those are just a few things I think I would miss on the Bimmer. Just want to hear formal owner's thoughts on this. Can the engine make up for this? Is the handling comparable to 335i w/ sport package given it's higher weight? I'm looking for a 2010 just for the iPod interface because I know the standard AUX won't suffice.
Old 07-24-13, 07:10 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I am a former 335i owner. If you are in to engine tuning and lots of modding potential, you will miss that the most if you switch over to an ISF. The ISF is not a mod-friendly car. You can do basically two bolt ons to add power (exhaust and headers) and that's about it. 400-410rwhp is the max this car can do without NO2.

That all said, I enjoy my ISF more than my previous modded 335i and I don't even have power mods on my ISF. The features are basically the same. Both cars have a list of creature comforts, though the Lexus comes with most of them whereas the BMW needs to have features added. The only features I cared about when I built my 335 was the sports package, so it sounds like yours was more optioned out than mine. I doubt you'll be underwhelmed by the ISF's feature list, but we don't have auto rain sensing moonroofs if that really matters to you.

The ISF is more powerful and way more reliable than the 335i. I had mild mods on my 335i and went 12.8 @108 in the quartermile. My ISF bone stock is faster than that. What I didn't like was the fact that my 335i was in for unscheduled service 3-4x over the 3 years I owned it (plus all of the schedule maintenance), and I was afraid to own the car out of warranty. With the Lexus, it gives me MUCH more confidence that it'll hold up over the long run.

The ISF is a step up from the 335i in just about every measurable category. What you should be asking yourself is whether or not you should look at the M3 or the ISF. My experiences with my 335i put a negative mark in my book against the M3 even though that may not be fair. In the end, I have not regretted my choice one bit.
Old 07-24-13, 07:21 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VBB pretty much summed it up well.

Loved my 335 but sooo many problems with it and all the time. I had it for 2.5 years and the warranty was ending, so I was looking at the M3 and a friend mentioned the F just from knowing it existed. Looked it up some, found one local, test drove it, traded my 335 2 days later when that wasnt the plan so soon!! haha. I think its much better than the low to mild tuned 335s in all phases. I like how the F doesnt fall on its face in the higher rpms and speeds lol. The 335 scared me away from a M3 even though a friend has had one for a few years now with no problems.

I do miss some of the customization and coding that you get with BMW and the plethora of aftermarket diversity, but I honestly havent looked back with my F. Awesome car all around, and I dont start the week/month wondering what will break next.
Old 07-24-13, 08:38 AM
Clownshoes
Driver

I came from a 535i. When it ran, it was a nice car.

I lemon lawed it and got what I should have bought when I got the BMW, the ISF.

The 535 was quiet, comfy, and would glide down the road, but it was a problematic POS that was in the shop constantly.

I also did not like the elitist nature of BMW dealers and BMW employees. It was almost as though they looked down on your for buying their product. And, having owned one, I can see why they would.
Old 07-24-13, 09:04 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

2010's will have a HDD and bluetooth audio which works well. You can do pandora or youtube and skip songs via your steering wheel.. while not having to remove your phone from your pocket, ever.

My girlfriend has a 2011 328xi with the sport package.. folding mirrors and the triple turn signal are the only things I miss. Her pandora/audio does album art on the screen, but it has to be plugged in for that feature, even though it has a bluetooth option.

The ISF compares more to a M3 imo.. for a 335 youd need the sport package with the sport seats, M body package, and all the extra media features just to compare the looks. Then a bunch of power mods to get anywhere near the performance of the F.
Old 07-24-13, 09:23 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CometVR4
I noticed quite a few people here that went from 335i to IS-F

With maintenance and reliability aside, how does it feel? Any regrets to the IS-F?
How about going from the BMW brand in general?

I love BMW, I really do. I always had this ignorant concept that Lexus were for women and BMW were men driver's cars.

However the IS-F with it's monster torque and big V8 just brought a huge smile to my face.

I'm just wondering if I would miss the special features of owning a BMW. Such as the coding options as having power folding mirrors close and open upon locking and relocking, sunroof and windows close when rain sensor detects rain. HDD drive music player. brake life indicators and service display on iDrive. Headlights come on automatically when wipers are on low. Those DRL halos. BMW assist app and I can lock and unlock my car via iPhone and locate on map. Ability to check the oil via iDrive (although I still would rather have a physical dip stick).

Those are just a few things I think I would miss on the Bimmer. Just want to hear formal owner's thoughts on this. Can the engine make up for this? Is the handling comparable to 335i w/ sport package given it's higher weight? I'm looking for a 2010 just for the iPod interface because I know the standard AUX won't suffice.
1) Who cares about the BMW brand anyway? If you're into performance, its not like BMW still runs their own factory team for racing. If anything, people think BMW owners are dicks.

2) Power folding mirrors? Who cares... If you're in a spot where you have to fold your mirrors, then you shouldn't park there. Hell no would I risk getting a door ding just to park somewhere. I'll park far away and walk. This is another electric motor that will die in the future and will cost $1000 to replace.

3) Sunroof / windows closes when it rains? Now this is just being lazy, IS F has all auto windows, if you had all your windows down and the sunroof open, its 3 motions....two front windows, two rear windows, one push to close the sun roof...

4) HDD Player? Just use MP3 discs or hook up your ipod...

5) Brake life indicators? Just another stupid part for you to have to replace. The wheel design on a IS F allows you to "peek" inside to look at the brake pads to see how much pad you have left. If you're a car guy, the LEAST you can do is learn to check your own brakes...why rely on a stupid wire?

6) DRL Halos? The IS F has DRL, they're just not halos...put the lights on auto and have the dealer turn the sensitivity way up so they come on sooner during the day.

7) BMW app assist...cool feature...I would like to know sometimes if I locked my car...

8) Check oil via iDrive?...great...another sensor to go out. No wonder BMW cars are constantly in the shop. I guess you're not the type of car guy I think of. Personally, I like looking under the hood of my car.

So out of everything you mentioned only 1 out of 8 features are cool...LOL.

I have a very bad taste in my mouth in regards to BMW cars. Sure all the M cars are awesome, but they have their issues. I would never own a BMW out of warranty. I have 3 friends with 335i cars are every single one of them has been in the shop about a dozen times in the past 3-4 years. One of them even got a check from BMW North America for $4000 for lease payments and loss of time. Random shut off on the freeway, bad fuel pump, battery dying out of no where. Just so much stupid stuff. I've owned my IS F for 107,000 miles (4 years, 9 months) and I've had one (what seems to also be an isolated) major issue, but for the 99% of members on this forum, no one has really had major issues.

Buy a BMW if you like driving loaner cars. There's my rant for the day. Till next time....
Old 07-24-13, 09:39 AM
tgui
Pole Position

A number of my friends have 335s. All with terrible reliability. Me? Yeah I can't mod much. Slap on a full exhaust and I'm close to 500 crank HP which is great. I've had my ISF for 3 years and have never had it in for warranty work.
Old 07-24-13, 10:08 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Yeah, I know the IS-F is more on terms with an M3. I'm actually cross shopping between the two. Both offer similar performance.

I know the 335i can be modified relatively easily, but I'm looking more for something quick right out of the box. I do have all the packages except M-Sport.

My for sale listing here:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=5&Log=0

1) Who cares about the BMW brand anyway? If you're into performance, its not like BMW still runs their own factory team for racing. If anything, people think BMW owners are dicks.

2) Power folding mirrors? Who cares... If you're in a spot where you have to fold your mirrors, then you shouldn't park there. Hell no would I risk getting a door ding just to park somewhere. I'll park far away and walk. This is another electric motor that will die in the future and will cost $1000 to replace.

3) Sunroof / windows closes when it rains? Now this is just being lazy, IS F has all auto windows, if you had all your windows down and the sunroof open, its 3 motions....two front windows, two rear windows, one push to close the sun roof...

4) HDD Player? Just use MP3 discs or hook up your ipod...

5) Brake life indicators? Just another stupid part for you to have to replace. The wheel design on a IS F allows you to "peek" inside to look at the brake pads to see how much pad you have left. If you're a car guy, the LEAST you can do is learn to check your own brakes...why rely on a stupid wire?

6) DRL Halos? The IS F has DRL, they're just not halos...put the lights on auto and have the dealer turn the sensitivity way up so they come on sooner during the day.

7) BMW app assist...cool feature...I would like to know sometimes if I locked my car...

8) Check oil via iDrive?...great...another sensor to go out. No wonder BMW cars are constantly in the shop. I guess you're not the type of car guy I think of. Personally, I like looking under the hood of my car.

So out of everything you mentioned only 1 out of 8 features are cool...LOL.

I have a very bad taste in my mouth in regards to BMW cars. Sure all the M cars are awesome, but they have their issues. I would never own a BMW out of warranty. I have 3 friends with 335i cars are every single one of them has been in the shop about a dozen times in the past 3-4 years. One of them even got a check from BMW North America for $4000 for lease payments and loss of time. Random shut off on the freeway, bad fuel pump, battery dying out of no where. Just so much stupid stuff. I've owned my IS F for 107,000 miles (4 years, 9 months) and I've had one (what seems to also be an isolated) major issue, but for the 99% of members on this forum, no one has really had major issues.

Buy a BMW if you like driving loaner cars. There's my rant for the day. Till next time....

1. I agree... people think BMW owners are dicks.

2. I have a tight garage space.

3. The sunroof feature is a coded or a hidden feature that's unlocked. For instance, if I'm at work and my sunroof is open and it starts raining, the same sensor for the rain sensing wipers will detect rain and shut sunroof and and windows if open. I usually keep them closed but on some 95+ degree days I've been leaving windows cracked.

4. Good point

5. Have a point there. I can see the brakes due to my wheel design as well. I was just impressed with the technology to keep track of mileage.

6. Yeah, but you know that halos have cool factor than just a high beam running on low power. :P

7. Still requires subscription. $2XX per year

8. The digital oil dipstick is nice but the draw back is you don't get a physical dipstick which is a pain because the oil has to be up to temp before you get a reading.

I'm actually quite the DIY'er. I used to own which I sold last year '98 3000GT VR-4 with 378AWHP. I learned quite a bit on how to work on cars.
Old 07-24-13, 11:01 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

The BMW white halos are way cooler than the junk low power high beams. lol. Wasnt going to stop me though from getting rid of it by any means.

So 2 of 8 are cool JUSTFME .

The idrive oil level is freaking stupid. I had an oil leak and I couldnt tell how much oil I had just to make sure. so dumb.
Old 07-24-13, 11:32 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CUTigers
The BMW white halos are way cooler than the junk low power high beams. lol. Wasnt going to stop me though from getting rid of it by any means.

So 2 of 8 are cool JUSTFME .

The idrive oil level is freaking stupid. I had an oil leak and I couldnt tell how much oil I had just to make sure. so dumb.
One more thing. How does Logic7 in the 3 compare to ML in the IS-F? L7 so far is one of the best factory setups I've heard in a car.
Old 07-24-13, 04:09 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

I had a 2008 BMW 528i and the car had many problems, in the shop every 3 weeks for new and reoccurring issues. Glad I dumped it, this car drove me mad.
Old 07-24-13, 05:06 PM
captdewalt
Driver School Candidate

I had a 335i and absolutely loved the car, but hated the problems that came with it. It was a really fun car and had great features but like everyone else said, I had it in the shop way more than my ISF. Actually my isF is never in the shop. The power is significantly better in the ISF and I never feel worried when I get aggressive that something is going to break. I was on the highway doing 80 one day in my 335i when the fuel line froze up and my car literally shut off. Freaked me out. You can't go wrong with the IS F so you should definitely get it. Like a lot of these other guys I just kind of have a sour taste with bmw now. I had an x6 i50 and that thing was a piece of crap too. Good luck man
Old 07-24-13, 05:28 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Want halos? Here is a picture with a IS-F with some but don't where this dude got it done from...
http://i43.tinypic.com/2vuanps.jpg
Old 07-24-13, 08:06 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i think the 2011+ headlights with the swoosh LED look better than BMW halos. Just a thought if you wanted cool DRL, you can also install the headlights into any older ISF model too...but they cost a pretty penny
Old 07-24-13, 11:05 PM
kdm
Pole Position

Whoa halos on the F looks nice... but funny at some times as well

Quick Reply: Formal 335i Owners...