IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Formal 335i Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-13, 07:07 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepy415
Looks like a lot of points have been already covered. I am sort of in the same situation as you OP, looking to sell my 335i & IS350 for a ISF in the near future. My CPO extended warranty/maintenance plan for the 335i ends in 2 weeks & I am so glad that I had it, the parts replaced & labor has more than paid for itself. I had my mind set on a E55 or C63 after the 335i, but now I'm not so sure if I want to own another high powered German car when the warranty expires. That is one of the reasons the ISF is so attractive, is because of the reliability that comes along with the car, & great gas mileage to boot. Yes the 335i is a fun car & with just a $400 JB4 chip & a 50/50 mix of E85 ethanol & 91 oct, I was walking away from M3's, but I HATED wasting time making trips to the dealer, also the fact that I had to wait 2 weeks for a appointment to get my car serviced for random misfires. For those 2 weeks, I had to leave the 335i in the garage & take the IS350 out, of course that's not counting the other 2 weeks that it took for them to diagnose & fix the problem. After all the issues I've had, they still cannot locate this squeeking sound I am getting from my rear brake area, all they can tell me is that 75% of 335i's have it, along with my loud wastegate rattle that they are trying not to replace because "it is not throwing any codes", these are just added headaches that I don't want to deal with anymore.

To answer your question on the Mark Levinson vs Logic 7, IMO I like the ML in my IS350 way more than my Logic 7. The first time I watched a DVD in the IS350, it blew me away, the sound quality felt theater like
But goddamn if a C63 isn't one of the best sounding cars out there. If it weren't for the German reliability I would have gone that route.
Old 07-25-13, 08:05 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CometVR4
Yeah, I know the IS-F is more on terms with an M3. I'm actually cross shopping between the two. Both offer similar performance.

I know the 335i can be modified relatively easily, but I'm looking more for something quick right out of the box. I do have all the packages except M-Sport.

My for sale listing here:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=5&Log=0

1. I agree... people think BMW owners are dicks.

2. I have a tight garage space.

3. The sunroof feature is a coded or a hidden feature that's unlocked. For instance, if I'm at work and my sunroof is open and it starts raining, the same sensor for the rain sensing wipers will detect rain and shut sunroof and and windows if open. I usually keep them closed but on some 95+ degree days I've been leaving windows cracked.

4. Good point

5. Have a point there. I can see the brakes due to my wheel design as well. I was just impressed with the technology to keep track of mileage.

6. Yeah, but you know that halos have cool factor than just a high beam running on low power. :P

7. Still requires subscription. $2XX per year

8. The digital oil dipstick is nice but the draw back is you don't get a physical dipstick which is a pain because the oil has to be up to temp before you get a reading.

I'm actually quite the DIY'er. I used to own which I sold last year '98 3000GT VR-4 with 378AWHP. I learned quite a bit on how to work on cars.
Still...there are way too many positives to owning an IS F over some of the things that you mentioned ...just go get one.
Old 07-25-13, 08:24 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tgui
But goddamn if a C63 isn't one of the best sounding cars out there. If it weren't for the German reliability I would have gone that route.
When it comes to reliability, we are spoiled in the F. Not having to go to the dealer besides warranty items / minor recall items.......and some of us for service/ oil changes..... is a blessing. With all the electronics in the F though, I wonder how the various components will hold up in the years to come.
Old 07-25-13, 08:33 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
When it comes to reliability, we are spoiled in the F. Not having to go to the dealer besides warranty items / minor recall items.......and some of us for service/ oil changes..... is a blessing. With all the electronics in the F though, I wonder how the various components will hold up in the years to come.
I hope it holds up well.
Old 07-25-13, 08:59 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Yep, I think it is safe to say that many (all?) of us decided to give up a little speed for a little reliability. That's a worthy trade-off in my book. If I had wanted to lease, or had no plans to keep my car more than 2 years, I probably would have went with a C63 too.
Old 07-25-13, 09:00 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't be able to afford the C63 only because of the amount of tires I would burn through
Old 07-25-13, 12:21 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great points here. After going through the M3 phase and C63 phase (almost bought one, sold before I got there) I decided the IS-F is the route that's best for me. I've only put 10k miles on the car since I purchased it but I've made 5 unscheduled service visits.
Old 07-25-13, 01:25 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CometVR4
Great points here. After going through the M3 phase and C63 phase (almost bought one, sold before I got there) I decided the IS-F is the route that's best for me. I've only put 10k miles on the car since I purchased it but I've made 5 unscheduled service visits.
You've put 10k miles on the 335i and had 5 unscheduled service visits?

I have 107,000 miles on my IS F...not one "unscheduled" service visit. I've pretty much never had to bring my car in for anything except a blown subwoofer. I of course had one special visit*
Old 07-25-13, 01:41 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

You know, I'm wondering how much business BMW lost due to the whole N54 fiasco (their twin turbo 6 that they put in everything)? I doubt it was significant enough for them to really care, because base 3 series and X3s lease like hotcakes, but there seem to be a lot of younger and middle-aged car enthusiasts that have turned away from BMW because of their bad experiences with the 335, 535, and every other car that had the problems of the N54.
Old 07-25-13, 01:57 PM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vbb
You know, I'm wondering how much business BMW lost due to the whole N54 fiasco (their twin turbo 6 that they put in everything)? I doubt it was significant enough for them to really care, because base 3 series and X3s lease like hotcakes, but there seem to be a lot of younger and middle-aged car enthusiasts that have turned away from BMW because of their bad experiences with the 335, 535, and every other car that had the problems of the N54.
Bad turbos, bad high pressure fuel pumps. Remember the E46 M3 engines blowing up and the subframes that were cracking?!!

C63 random engine shutoffs. Horrid Audi reliability statistics, etc...

What the hell happened to German engineering?
Old 07-25-13, 02:38 PM
runyonwc
Driver School Candidate

I traded my 2010 135i in for my ISF. I don't really miss it at all. It had every option except the comfort access but I still think the ISF options match up pretty close. I also had the BMW Performance Power Kit and a JB+ to up the boost. It felt like it would match the ISF up to 100 but the ISF just keeps pulling with all it's gears!

I didn't really have the 135i long enough to have any major problems with it. I did have the fuel pump replaced with the newest version when I bought it free of charge by the dealer. It wasn't going out yet but I pushed them to upgrade it to the newest version. The N54 motors also are having bad carbon buildup problems which BMW will not fix under warranty unless you throw a certain code. There is no way I would own that car out of warranty!

All in all it was a pretty nice car but the ISF overall is a much better car. I've never driven an "M" car but I'm sure they have their share of problems and the maintenance is really expensive once BMW stops paying for it......
Old 07-25-13, 03:01 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Just F Me

You've put 10k miles on the 335i and had 5 unscheduled service visits?

I have 107,000 miles on my IS F...not one "unscheduled" service visit. I've pretty much never had to bring my car in for anything except a blown subwoofer. I of course had one special visit*
Yes. 5 and this car was CPO. First visit the headlight was pointing to the ground. Next visit was the active steering problem. Then at highway speeds the left headlight would out of the blue swivel to the left side of the road and point down. Dealer told me no codes and tried to push me away telling me its based on the steering wheel and my alignment was off. I paid $250 for the active steering alignment and problem still existed and it took 2 additional trips and them flying in a regional manger to resolve the problem. I was ready to fire off a letter to BMW customer relations and claim lemon.

Everything has been good since so I'm going to get rid of it before anything else happens.
Old 07-25-13, 03:30 PM
PrezJay
Driver

To OP, I came from a 335i coupe and haven't had one regret. Here's the list of issues I had with my car:

1. Fuel pump died 4 times. This was even after they acknowledged the problem and replaced it with the "newer and more reliable" design. All replaced under warranty.

2. Water pump died. Out of warranty work.

3. Passenger side mirror motor died. It automatically moves down when you reverse like in the ISF but it ended up getting stuck in that position. Replaced under warranty.

4. Driver / Passenger seatbelt motors broke twice. The coupe comes with motors that bring the seatbelt out to you. Eventually they jammed and the seatbelt wouldn't be brought all the way forward. First time happened under warranty. I didn’t bother the second time since it was out of warranty.

5. Passenger halo assembly died. Replaced under warranty.

6. Passenger taillights would go out every 6 months. Replaced every time under warranty.

7. Misfiring and Vacuum leak. This was the straw that broke the camel’s back. My car was stalled on the side of the road and I thought my fuel pump had died a fifth time. It ended up being a vacuum leak which I had to fix out of warranty. 5 minutes after I drove off the lot, the car stalled again and it was back in the shop for another 2 weeks. I said screw it after this and sold the car one week after I got it back.

In summary, the car was great when it ran but you couldn’t pay me to drive another BMW again. Everything you listed in your post are just nice to haves and I don’t see you missing any of the features.
Old 07-25-13, 03:58 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PrezJay
To OP, I came from a 335i coupe and haven't had one regret. Here's the list of issues I had with my car:

1. Fuel pump died 4 times. This was even after they acknowledged the problem and replaced it with the "newer and more reliable" design. All replaced under warranty.

3. Passenger side mirror motor died. It automatically moves down when you reverse like in the ISF but it ended up getting stuck in that position. Replaced under warranty.

4. Driver / Passenger seatbelt motors broke twice. The coupe comes with motors that bring the seatbelt out to you. Eventually they jammed and the seatbelt wouldn't be brought all the way forward. First time happened under warranty. I didn’t bother the second time since it was out of warranty.

6. Passenger taillights would go out every 6 months. Replaced every time under warranty.

7. Misfiring and Vacuum leak. This was the straw that broke the camel’s back. My car was stalled on the side of the road and I thought my fuel pump had died a fifth time. It ended up being a vacuum leak which I had to fix out of warranty. 5 minutes after I drove off the lot, the car stalled again and it was back in the shop for another 2 weeks. I said screw it after this and sold the car one week after I got it back.

In summary, the car was great when it ran but you couldn’t pay me to drive another BMW again. Everything you listed in your post are just nice to haves and I don’t see you missing any of the features.
LOL...to think...I sold my 2005 Acura TL because I had two cracked windshields (not the fault of the car, but it was like a bad omen), the CD player stopped working, and the straw that broke the camels back was when the audio controls on the steering wheel stopped working. I sold the car 7 days later.
Old 07-25-13, 04:19 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PrezJay

Wow...... I'm so glad I didn't go with a BMW!! Almost picked up a 535i M sport

Quick Reply: Formal 335i Owners...