IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

The Adventures of My ISF, VAISTECH IVIC and the Galaxy S3.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 04:59 PM
powermungr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile The Adventures of My ISF, VAISTECH IVIC and the Galaxy S3.

I am somewhat happy with where I am so far with my current progress (everything works). Here is the run-down. This is not a VAIS issue. Ben from VAIS has been super helpful and spent a lot of time on the phone with me. This is an awesome solution for ML system and I just need a better phone for this purpose. Also I feel that the IVIC is a great platform for future HDMI based technologies.

I knew I had to do something with Mark Levinson system in the ISF even before I purchased the car. After listening to an IS350 (using mp3s only) with ML but with a VAISTECH IVIC installed, I was blown away by the how full and loud the system was over stock.

I ordered the IVIC and immediately installed the unit upon arrival. The install was simple. I installed the unit under the driver's seat. The USB / CD Emulation function for me is worth the price of admission as it completely unveils the ML system for what it is. I can only guess that it increases input voltage to the ML amp. Again for me - this is what I was looking for. The emulation feature works great and integrates perfectly into the ML menu structure.

Here is the issue - The IVIC enables Android emulation as well. I have not been able to use the function with any kind of stability. THIS IS NOT A VAIS ISSUE . The first point of failure was the Galaxy S3 itself. I purchased three Samsung EPL-3FHUBE MHL adapters. Only one worked everytime when connected.

Then there was the firmware version and Samsung Software ALLPlay Dongle updates(still not sure if this one is right). After more than 4 calls to Sprint and few hours I ordered a new phone (because at the end of the day the feature didn't work in or outside of the car).

Finally, I changed the HDMI cable to the shortest length possible. It appears the MHL issues I am experiencing are widespread for Samsung Galaxy products and this was one of many suggested changes. This appears to somewhat help as the phone connects more frequently now. Sadly when connected sometimes I intermittently lose data connectivity or began data roaming (also a known MHL issue) and my streaming apps do not work so well.
Old 07-10-13, 05:48 PM
powermungr
Rookie

Here are some craptactular cellphone photos of the fixed work. I figured I would mount it with about 6 inches from the under seat vents.
Attached Thumbnails The Adventures of My ISF, VAISTECH IVIC and the Galaxy S3.-20130710_174044.jpg   The Adventures of My ISF, VAISTECH IVIC and the Galaxy S3.-20130710_174029.jpg  
Old 07-10-13, 05:50 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was looking into that but I am happy with my setup of just streaming my music wirelessly...
Old 07-10-13, 06:40 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I went with a GROM unit with Bluetooth streaming capability...

Also, installing it under the seat is a bit sketchy... i installed my module in the area under the glovebox; there's a panel there I just velcro'd the unit onto.

The usb cable for the grom unit was ran into the glovebox... although it wouldn't be too hard to run it into the center console...
Old 07-10-13, 08:33 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

My S3 pisses me off when I have it connected to the AUX input and connected via bluetooth. Instead of going to bluetooth, it sends the audio over the headphone jack, but the car goes into bluetooth mode...
Old 07-10-13, 08:59 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
My S3 pisses me off when I have it connected to the AUX input and connected via bluetooth. Instead of going to bluetooth, it sends the audio over the headphone jack, but the car goes into bluetooth mode...
hmm i never had that experience with the s3 when I did bluetooth. I have the blackberry gateway plugged into the aux jack. i connect to both the gateway way and the isf bluetooth. it recognizes the blackberry as a media player and the isf as phone.
Old 07-11-13, 05:02 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been following this system before it was released. The concept is awesome but the stability issues keep me from taking the plunge. For right now I keep using the iPod interface from them. The audio quality like you said is absolutely amazing since it uses the full digital signal.
Old 07-11-13, 10:29 AM
powermungr
Rookie

Originally Posted by 9aristo
yeah I went with a GROM unit with Bluetooth streaming capability...

Also, installing it under the seat is a bit sketchy... i installed my module in the area under the glovebox; there's a panel there I just velcro'd the unit onto.

The usb cable for the grom unit was ran into the glovebox... although it wouldn't be too hard to run it into the center console...
There is better airflow and heat dissipation underneath the seats. My main reason for under seat mounting was shorter cord lengths. Its velcro'd and does not move plus no one seats in my back seats ever. No alterations to the car.
Old 07-13-13, 01:39 PM
powermungr
Rookie

Thumbs up Update

This morning a friend who was having similar issues with getting a projector project to work via MHL provided a breakthrough. The micro USB power cable must be secured in such a way that it does not move at all.

He encased the entire HDMI cable plus MHL adapter in a small modified box filled with soft foam. The box resembles a sewing kit with holes at the top and bottom (for cable passthru). The foam minimizes movement of the micro usb cable (required for power).

The box idea was slightly too large to fit in the wiring channel under the arm rest console. I simply added the foam then the wrapped it with electrical tape between where the HDMI meets the adapter and a quarter way up the MHL cable. The system now works at I expected. I have connected and disconnected the phone multiple times and it now just works.

I got rid of the data roaming issue by calling Sprint who suggested pressing ##72786#. The phone data roams a lot less frequently but now all of my streaming and data dependent apps work regardless.
Old 03-22-15, 02:54 PM
VDODSON
Driver

Originally Posted by powermungr
I am somewhat happy with where I am so far with my current progress (everything works). Here is the run-down. This is not a VAIS issue. Ben from VAIS has been super helpful and spent a lot of time on the phone with me. This is an awesome solution for ML system and I just need a better phone for this purpose. Also I feel that the IVIC is a great platform for future HDMI based technologies.

I knew I had to do something with Mark Levinson system in the ISF even before I purchased the car. After listening to an IS350 (using mp3s only) with ML but with a VAISTECH IVIC installed, I was blown away by the how full and loud the system was over stock.

I ordered the IVIC and immediately installed the unit upon arrival. The install was simple. I installed the unit under the driver's seat. The USB / CD Emulation function for me is worth the price of admission as it completely unveils the ML system for what it is. I can only guess that it increases input voltage to the ML amp. Again for me - this is what I was looking for. The emulation feature works great and integrates perfectly into the ML menu structure.

Here is the issue - The IVIC enables Android emulation as well. I have not been able to use the function with any kind of stability. THIS IS NOT A VAIS ISSUE . The first point of failure was the Galaxy S3 itself. I purchased three Samsung EPL-3FHUBE MHL adapters. Only one worked everytime when connected.

Then there was the firmware version and Samsung Software ALLPlay Dongle updates(still not sure if this one is right). After more than 4 calls to Sprint and few hours I ordered a new phone (because at the end of the day the feature didn't work in or outside of the car).

Finally, I changed the HDMI cable to the shortest length possible. It appears the MHL issues I am experiencing are widespread for Samsung Galaxy products and this was one of many suggested changes. This appears to somewhat help as the phone connects more frequently now. Sadly when connected sometimes I intermittently lose data connectivity or began data roaming (also a known MHL issue) and my streaming apps do not work so well.
I spent three hours at a shop yesterday, and they couldn't get it to work. It also disabled my back up camera, does yours still work? I have an S3 as well. When I connected initially via Bluetooth, the set up button was grayed out. Did your nav screen automatically mirror what was on your phone when you initially connected?