IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tom rear diffuser install today

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-13, 05:22 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it! I would just put some double-sided tape along that edge. There are black ones which can handle outdoor elements nicely.
Old 10-12-14, 07:48 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Bumping an old thread because I didn't want to start a new one...

For people that bought the Tom's rear diffuser, how was the carbon fiber weave of your diffuser? Is your weave perfect with little to no imperfections, or do you see imperfections near the sections of the diffuser that are popping up (e.g. the "fins" of the diffuser). I haven't seen any other Tom's rear diffusers in person so I'm not sure whether complex weaves like a rear diffuser will be impossible to perfect, or if I just got a half assed job. For the price I paid and from the raving reviews I've seen on the forum, I was expecting a near perfect weave. But I don't have much experience buying carbon fiber parts, so just let me know if this is how it usually is and is the result of having to stretch the fiber to contour to the mold.

Last edited by kzlflash; 10-12-14 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 07:57 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Bumping an old thread because I didn't want to start a new one...

For people that bought the Tom's rear diffuser, how was the carbon fiber weave of your diffuser? Is your weave perfect with little to no imperfections, or do you see imperfections near the sections of the diffuser that are popping up (e.g. the "fins" of the diffuser). I haven't seen any other Tom's rear diffusers in person so I'm not sure whether complex weaves like a rear diffuser will be impossible to perfect, or if I just got a half assed job. For the price I paid and from the raving reviews I've seen on the forum, I was expecting a near perfect weave. But I don't have much experience buying carbon fiber parts, so just let me know if this is how it usually is and is the result of having to stretch the fiber to contour to the mold.

Thats shotty to me man, I have had a car where the entire front end was carbon fiber, and none of the imperfects were THAT bad. I would contact them and see what they can do for you. If I spent that kind of money on one, I would expect it to have very minimal to no imperfections.
Old 10-12-14, 08:02 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
Thats shotty to me man, I have had a car where the entire front end was carbon fiber, and none of the imperfects were THAT bad. I would contact them and see what they can do for you. If I spent that kind of money on one, I would expect it to have very minimal to no imperfections.
Hmm... that's disappointing. The diffuser is already on the car, but I'll try contacting the vendor. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-12-14, 08:08 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

If you don't mind it doesn't really matter, but the for the price I would think they would have some quality control. How noticeable is it when mounted?
Old 10-12-14, 10:12 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When did you receive the diffuser? I ordered mine over 4 months ago and still no word when it will be in.
Old 10-12-14, 10:13 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry to say, not a single weave out of place on my diffuser. Front lip also. I,ve seen a few Tom's kits and they have all been perfect. That is strange.
Old 10-13-14, 06:01 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Reaper21
When did you receive the diffuser? I ordered mine over 4 months ago and still no word when it will be in.
I received mine about a month and a half back. It was from a vendor that had already ordered a few sets and were already on its way from Japan.
Old 10-13-14, 08:18 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Id be afraid of just double sided tape. I mounted mine with six screws and washers through the bumper cover. Its been tested up to 150 MPH. No issues.
Old 10-13-14, 08:57 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

which vendor? im looking for one of these
Old 10-16-14, 07:51 PM
etohprn247
Driver School Candidate

Nice rear end and tasteful addition for the F. I have the same gap as OP. But I can live with it for now.
Old 10-16-14, 08:40 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@kzlflash

Keep us posted. I'm interested to know which vendor too
Old 10-16-14, 09:28 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zelfiris
@kzlflash

Keep us posted. I'm interested to know which vendor too
It's not so much the vendor's fault, there is no way they could have known since the box is sealed and the diffuser wraped. It's Toms fault for shipping out poor quality's product. I have personally seen about 8-10 Toms rear diffusers and haven't seen one with this many imperfection.
Old 10-16-14, 09:44 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
It's not so much the vendor's fault, there is no way they could have known since the box is sealed and the diffuser wraped. It's Toms fault for shipping out poor quality's product. I have personally seen about 8-10 Toms rear diffusers and haven't seen one with this many imperfection.
You are absolutely right. I would still be interested to know what and how the vendor can rectify such a situation.

For my knowledge I want to know the vendor so I have extra options to purchase toms kit as well as hearing first hand from a member the service the vendor can provide
Old 10-17-14, 06:38 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Zelfiris

You are absolutely right. I would still be interested to know what and how the vendor can rectify such a situation.

For my knowledge I want to know the vendor so I have extra options to purchase toms kit as well as hearing first hand from a member the service the vendor can provide
Again, this has nothing to with the vendor. They are simply a middle man, they do not manufacture the diffuser.

TOMS manufactures the piece, therefore, you having extra options to purchase the kit is irrelevant. They will all come from the same source.

OP, call TOMS USA and see what's up.

(909) 923-9188

Quick Reply: Tom rear diffuser install today