IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Differences in IS-F years

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-13, 05:13 PM
ISF316
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Differences in IS-F years

I Just purchased a 2008 IS-F about 3 weeks ago and I want to know what are the big differences between 2008 and the rest of the newer IS-F? When I say differences, I mean like big differences and not like a color on the blinkers. I am new to this community and if anyone could possible give me a rundown it will all be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-02-13, 05:43 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome! If you do a search there are a lot of topics related to this.

Biggest change came in 2010 w/ the addition of an LSD and updated infotainment system w/ USB & BT capability. New wheels in 2010 as well.

2011 + addition of LED headlights and instrument cluster change. 2011 + also had revised suspension.

2012 + different wheels and new interior color combos.

Those are the biggest changes.
Old 07-02-13, 06:08 PM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus dramatically changed the IS-F in 2011, here is Car and Driver's summary:

A Thorough Revamp

Still, the IS F had serious potential; its 416-hp V-8 left no doubt about that. But its ride and handling simply didn’t deliver. It would hobbyhorse down uneven pavement and batter occupants in a straight line but roll excessively in corners. For 2011, Lexus addressed these concerns in a big way, changing or retuning every major suspension component. There are softer front springs, stiffer rear springs, larger-diameter anti-roll bars front and rear, stiffer bushings on the rear subframe and rear anti-roll bar, and a new steering knuckle and front lower control arms for reduced unsprung mass. Oh, and the rear camber is tweaked as well. The honking V-8 and the eight-speed automatic carry over unchanged, but a Torsen limited-slip replaces the previously open differential. Engineers also retuned the electric power steering, injecting a dose of much-needed feel. With these changes, the IS F goes from subpar to front-runner.
Old 07-02-13, 07:13 PM
ISFNYC
Driver

Originally Posted by WillRockwe

A Thorough Revamp

Still, the IS F had serious potential; its 416-hp V-8 left no doubt about that. But its ride and handling simply didn’t deliver. It would hobbyhorse down uneven pavement and batter occupants in a straight line but roll excessively in corners. For 2011, Lexus addressed these concerns in a big way, changing or retuning every major suspension component. There are softer front springs, stiffer rear springs, larger-diameter anti-roll bars front and rear, stiffer bushings on the rear subframe and rear anti-roll bar, and a new steering knuckle and front lower control arms for reduced unsprung mass. Oh, and the rear camber is tweaked as well. The honking V-8 and the eight-speed automatic carry over unchanged, but a Torsen limited-slip replaces the previously open differential. Engineers also retuned the electric power steering, injecting a dose of much-needed feel. With these changes, the IS F goes from subpar to front-runner.
Agreed, the only visible differences from the outside are really the wheels and the headlights with or w/o the Leds...
Old 07-02-13, 09:35 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

2012 headlights have a "whiter" LED strip than the 2011s...FYI
Old 07-02-13, 09:56 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/is-f/

Gives you all the details you need to know.
Old 07-02-13, 10:08 PM
allst4risf
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm i have a 2012 i didnt realize that thanks..
Old 07-02-13, 10:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by WillRockwe

A Thorough Revamp

It's really a shame most of this is BS as is typical for magazine stories. Just check the part number changes and you'll see it just not true. The last thing the 2008 F needs is softer front springs, AMHIK.
Old 07-03-13, 03:45 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/
Old 07-03-13, 04:08 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's really a shame most of this is BS as is typical for magazine stories. Just check the part number changes and you'll see it just not true. The last thing the 2008 F needs is softer front springs, AMHIK.

Motor Trend reported similar changes in the 2011:

Although the powertrain and the car's 3800-lb curb weight remain the same, the suspension settings have been totally recalibrated. The combination of spring rate revisions and dampers, fitted with new high performance valves in addition to reinforced suspension member connectors and bushes, permit more front-end suspension stroke yet firm up the rear end. This generates greater traction and stability at high speeds. An unexpected byproduct of this revision is the car's more compliant ride, which Yaguchi says "was a bonus but something we aimed for." Adjustments to the steering power-assist mechanism made for more precise and accurate turn-in as well as greater feedback through the wheel. 2011 Lexus IS F Front The results are that the 2011 IS F can now be pushed even harder into corners; it stays more composed under heavy braking, at turn-in, and while experiencing changes of road camber and elevation. The IS F also exhibits less understeer and more rear wheel grip and stability. In fact, the rear end is now so tied down that a slight enhancement of front-end downforce might generate even greater all-round traction and stability. The new model laps the 2.8-mile Fuji Speedway in 2 minutes, 3.4 seconds -- nearly two seconds faster than its predecessor -- thanks to Yaguchi's subtle, yet substantial, modifications.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e/viewall.html
Old 07-03-13, 07:26 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Despite what exact suspension changes did or did not occur in 2011 - I think we can all agree that on the track, there was a very measurable improvement in performance over the 2008 model tested.

How that that translates to street driving, I dunno.
Old 07-03-13, 09:56 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Everyone has mentioned the only changes worth noting (headlights, wheels, m-LSD, suspension improvement). The one I always forget about which is great is the gauge/console changes and Sport button being moved to the steering wheel.
Old 07-03-13, 02:43 PM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

These changes were what decided me to buy a 2011 or newer. I've not seen a single review complaining about the handling after 2011.
Old 07-04-13, 08:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

There's no question the later models have better suspension. The question unanswered is exactly what changed. Bushings? No indication. Aluminum housings for the hubs? Definitely not. Springs, shocks, and control arms in the rear? For sure. LSD? No doubt.

Worth it for the track driver? Undoubtedly true.
Old 07-04-13, 09:26 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Or you can steal a lsd from a new one and upgrade to coilovers for a lot less money.

Quick Reply: Differences in IS-F years