IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

excitement to have 3rd gen F-sports eat dust!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 07:32 AM
Clownshoes
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my F for about 6 weeks now. I have had two people recognize what the car is and ask me about it. Once in a parking lot, and the other day at a stop light.

I have had to teach a few people, namely BMW drivers, what the car is. Like that poor kid in the Dinan 3 getting on the 5 yesterday morning. His lowered, wheel bulging shizabox was a miniscule set of overly done 6000K aftermarket headlights in my rear view mirror so fast I think he must have been ashamed of himself. I waited for him to come up along side of me, you know, just for the friendly “Yup, I just spanked you, but it’s cool” nod, but he wouldn’t come along side for miles. He went zooming past me once I hit some traffic and had to shut off cruise. He made a risky move to try to prove a point. What that point was exactly, I don’t know.

I cannot say I miss my BMW. I certainly do not miss the elitist nature of the BMW dealers and the drivers. I find the Lexus crowd to be more about enjoying life and being less about “Hey! Look at me in my shiny BMW! Aren’t I special?”

I will admit I have whomped a couple STIs and EVOs, just for the fun of it. Coming from my 350Z and Gen Coupe days, they have it coming… I walked a 370Z pretty hard the other day, but the driver was cool about it and we both had fun as safe as you can on the fwy in zero traffic. Tried to get a Challenger SRT-8 to go for it at a stop light, but I think he was fiddling with his pace maker and missed the light change.

I do not believe my ISF is the fastest thing on the road, but it is damn fast, and it is going to get faster. I don’t mind F-Sport badges, or even people who put an ISF body kit on their car. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The ISF stands out for what it is: a rare breed of factory rocket ship that is classy, sporty, comfy and sexy. It is exclusive by its nature and by its numbers. The 250/350 is a good looking car on its own, but people still mod then with tid-bits of wings and spoilers here and there even when not going for the “F” look. I won’t add things to my car that aren’t functional because that is not how I mod my car. But that is what works for me and keeps me happy. I say, that if you want to do something to your car, as long as it doesn’t endanger other drivers or eat kittens, go for it. It’s your car, enjoy it how you see fit.
Old 07-09-13, 07:50 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Roffles
Agreed. When the 8 speed came out, having 1 thru 5 geared so closely was completely foreign to everyone. For all the complaints about the transmission, it wasn't the transmission that was the problem, it was the driver's inability to understand it. A good example is 5th Gear's review of the IS-F.

Fifth Gear: Tiff drives the LEXUS IS-F - YouTube

Tiff complains about the downshift double-beep, failing to realize the beep means, "You're going too fast to downshift into that gear and you'll cook the engine, you need to spend more time learning my gears if you don't want to hear that anymore". Then he complains about the upshift beep failing to realize it mean, "Keep your eyes safely on the road, we'll let you know when you can hit the next gear". How much performance did he miss out on during his assessment of the car not understanding the gearing of the 8-speed and the significance of the beeping noises? The F got a bad introduction because of its learning curve. Sometimes being first isn't a good thing.
Tiff is also a hardcore BMW fanboy. Any threat to the BMW lineage obviously sucks...
Old 07-09-13, 09:40 AM
stevepen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Plato from fifth gear drove it..... No beeps!
Old 07-10-13, 01:14 PM
DJaime12F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Oh just waiting. Pretty good with the guy from my local Dunkin Donuts, one of his coworkers came to the window and ask me for prices for some windows on a 12 is250(I"m a Glass technician) He says" the same as our car" and im not like "NAW" and hes says "yeah Exact same car" and I proceeded to Rev that V8 and give him the definition of that F badge
Old 07-11-13, 08:46 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJaime12F
Oh just waiting. Pretty good with the guy from my local Dunkin Donuts, one of his coworkers came to the window and ask me for prices for some windows on a 12 is250(I"m a Glass technician) He says" the same as our car" and im not like "NAW" and hes says "yeah Exact same car" and I proceeded to Rev that V8 and give him the definition of that F badge
lol...same window ---very different car!...NICE