Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sello
Anyone want new Hankooks for 600 lol
haha, nice
Old 06-22-13, 11:54 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I got caught up in the hype that said "Hey, this one motortrend test shows that Hankook Ventus V12s outperform Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on the track and for half the price!!!"

Like someone else said, you really do get what you pay for. I had a terrible experience with them (for the precise reasons you mentioned) and I'll never go back.

On the other hand, I do think constantly paying $$1400-$1600 for michelin pilot sport PS2s doesn't make all that much sense for me. I am looking for a slightly cheaper brand of tire, but I won't touch hankook ventus v12s.
Old 06-23-13, 05:32 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

You can get the Super Sports for like 1100-1200 most places, granted it still not cheap but it is still up to 500 cheaper than the PS2s according to the 1400-1600 figure.
Old 06-23-13, 10:32 AM
Sello
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bro is the mgr where I hit these Hankooks at and he doesn't believe me how bad they are. He said he put them on a 2010 m5 and the guy raves about them. I'm gonna have him drive my car next week so maybe he will finally understand. I also wrote a letter to Hankook wondering if they are willing to do anything because there literally should be a disclaimer saying do not put these tires on the isf or your Lexus will handle like a minivan, figured it might help them cuz I will go to every car forum possible talking bad on their tires, which in the long run will cost them money.
Old 06-23-13, 10:42 AM
Super6
Driver

I guess you don't know what you don't know... Cause I don't have a problem with the v12's..,but I haven't tried the Michelin SS which I will try next.
Old 06-23-13, 10:46 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

which in the long run will cost them money.
Don't bet on it. I was extremely unhappy with my previous set of tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW. I contacted Continental, and they didn't seem to give a rat's rear about how I felt about the tires or how I might spread the word on the internet. Their general malaise concerning my unhappiness with their product was certainly disconcerting. When I approached the retailer, Discount Tire, they really acted like they wanted me to be happy. They took the crappy DW tires back, with half the tread worn, and gave me a full refund credit towards the purchase of a set of Bridgestone Pole Position S-04. Night and Day. The Bridgestones are a BIG from me. Of course, as many of you know, both the Continentals and the Bridgestones are upsized - 245/35/19 and 285/30/19.

Lou
Old 06-23-13, 10:57 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

One thing I don't understand is which of the Michelin tires is the best tire? I always assumed the most expensive one was the best (pilot sport PS2s), but then I'll read reviews like this that say Michelin claims the Pilot Super Sport is currently the top of the line max performance tire that they have -

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...er-sport-tires

If that's true, why is the pilot super sport cheaper?

This motortrend article also claims the pilot super sport is better/the successor to the PS2 -

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...t/viewall.html
Old 06-23-13, 11:02 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Wow, the more I read the more I realize that I've just overpaid for an inferior tire. Every review says that the pilot super sport is indeed the successor to the PS2. It's everything the PS2 was, but better in some aspects (like dry and wet traction).

One other nuance that people might find interesting (that I learned a couple of years back) -

"Some background: Michelin co-develops many of its tires with specific automotive manufacturers, including BMW, Ferrari, and Porsche. Even though cars from these manufacturers all wear Michelin PS2's, they are not the same tire, as subtle differences in compound, construction, and design are unique to each manufacturer.
"

My very first set of PS2s were co-developed by Mercedes, and I didn't like them all that much. My second and third set were co-developed by BMW, and I loved them.

Maybe this is why your M5 friend enjoys his hankook ventus v12s while you don't. Maybe you both have tires that were co-developed by different car manufacturers.
Old 06-23-13, 11:04 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

You can usually find out who co-developed your tire by looking for a special symbol on the tire. For BMW it's a star, for example.

You'll find people specially searching for a "star-spec" set of pilot sport PS2s if you look online.
Old 06-23-13, 11:23 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dmvp29
One thing I don't understand is which of the Michelin tires is the best tire? I always assumed the most expensive one was the best (pilot sport PS2s), but then I'll read reviews like this that say Michelin claims the Pilot Super Sport is currently the top of the line max performance tire that they have -

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...er-sport-tires

If that's true, why is the pilot super sport cheaper?

This motortrend article also claims the pilot super sport is better/the successor to the PS2 -

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...t/viewall.html
Ya, for a normal daily drive tire from Mich I would def get the Super Sports over the PS2s. The Sport Cups are amazing, but I cant justify the low tread life for daily driving lol
Old 06-23-13, 11:30 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

with many reviews of brake pads,etc...im the only one who doesnt have issues. i have hankooks and have no problems with them. im constanly hitting the canyon roads and grip/handling is great. i guess im the 1%
Old 06-23-13, 11:42 AM
Sello
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I stirred up the tire debate. So I'm guessing I should go bridgestones or the pss. What do u guys think I should sell theses Hankrooks for?
Old 06-23-13, 12:20 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I guess I stirred up the tire debate. So I'm guessing I should go bridgestones or the pss. What do u guys think I should sell theses Hankrooks for?
as much as possible...
Old 06-23-13, 04:37 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to m3 forums, they'll take it from you. You already bashed the Hankooks here, nobody is gonna buy them from you here

Quick Reply: Just installed Hankooks Ventus v12