Header & Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 04:32 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Question Header & Exhaust questions

Hi Guys,

Now I know there have been several threads on this topic already but I just wanted to clairfy that I have understood everything and what to expect when going ahead with the install.

Parts to be installed: PPE Headers & Joe-Z exhaust (no cats)

Now from my understanding I will need the following additional parts to make sure everything runs smoothly.

1) New Header/Engine Gaskets (Gasket that fits between the new PPE Headers and Engine Block) part number: 17173 in the diagram below.

2) New Header/Exhaust Gaskets (Gasket which fits between the new PPE Headers and Exhaust which is already included with the PPE Headers) part number: 17410B in the diagram below.

Now here is where I get confused. Everyone talks about having an issue with the OEM sensors when it comes to removing them. So I would like to buy new sensors just incase anything goes wrong. BUT what I'm trying to understand is where do these sensors fit?

are they located on the exhaust or on the headers itself?

Now the PPE Headers state that it uncludes "electronic O2 conditioner" but is this the same as the DENSO 234-9048 Fuel To Air Ratio Sensor? or is this something else?

The main issue I'm having is with the sensor:

Where is it located?

and where in the above diagrams is it shown?

Any help would be appreciated.

Below is a pic of what comes with the PPE headers for reference (which shows the Header/Exhaust gaskets and the electronic O2 conditioner) :

Last edited by Defratos; 06-17-13 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-17-13, 08:14 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

You really do not need new head to header gaskets the old ones should still be good, however it wont hurt if you choose to replace them. However, PPE uses a larger exhaust pipe gasket than stock and includes it with the header. See those two packages on the lower right of your attached pict, the one's with the blue gaskets? Those are the exhaust pipe gaskets. This sentence is included in PPE's description of features:

"Includes larger factory style gaskets"

Lou
Old 06-17-13, 08:24 AM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through this when I recently did my PPE headers a few weeks ago. The gaskets you have circled are correct 17173 and 17173a (they are actually the same gaskets left and right). Remember to use your CL discount if buying from sewell.

Gasket 17410B I did not get and I do not think is necessary as lowrideraz said. The sensors are on the oem headers and for whatever reason is not shown in the diagram above. If you look at the ppe headers you will see a open slot for the o2 sensors. Since I bought them new the installers didn't bother to try to remove the old ones, so they are still on the oem headers.

What I found a lil odd was that the gaskets 17173 were like a composite looking plastic whereas the installer game me back the oem gaskets and they were metal. Anyone else that had this done notice this?

Good luck OP! Your gunna love it
Old 06-17-13, 08:31 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IsFast3r
What I found a lil odd was that the gaskets 17173 were like a composite looking plastic whereas the installer game me back the oem gaskets and they were metal. Anyone else that had this done notice this?
I reused my OEM gaskets, and as you mention they, were and still, are metal.

Lou
Old 06-17-13, 10:25 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IsFast3r
If you look at the ppe headers you will see a open slot for the o2 sensors.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the slots on the PPE headers are the A/F sensors. The slots on the JOE Z exhaust are the O2 sensors.

To the OP...your car is a 2013, so there should be no problem removing the A/F or O2 sensors. Mine came out easy with 15k miles on the car. Also, you shouldn't need new manifold gaskets being a 2013 as well. We left mine on. The only issue I ended up having (after a LOT of trial and error) was a faulty O2 sensor oattached to the Joe Z exhaust. I replaced with the Denso and have been good to go. I think we just played with it too much and it got upset. Never had any issues removing any sensors though.
Old 06-17-13, 10:36 AM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

My mistake, A/F sensors not o2 on the headers.
Old 06-17-13, 12:44 PM
Defratos
Racer

Thanks for the feedback,

Right so I understand what gaskets I have to get, but I'm now confused as to which sensor people usually have a problem with.

With the PPE Headers they include "electronic O2 conditioner/ A/F Sensor (so I'm guessing I don't have to worry about those as new ones are provided with the headers).

Now do most people have a problem removing their OEM Exhaust O2 Sensors? and is this sensor the same as the DENSO 234-9048 Fuel To Air Ratio Sensor?
Old 06-17-13, 12:50 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos

With the PPE Headers they include "electronic O2 conditioner/ A/F Sensor (so I'm guessing I don't have to worry about those as new ones are provided with the headers).

Now do most people have a problem removing their OEM Exhaust O2 Sensors? and is this sensor the same as the DENSO 234-9048 Fuel To Air Ratio Sensor?
The device PPE provided is just to trick your ecu. Your downstream o2 sensors need to be in the car. Just that without, the device PPE provided, your car will throw codes
Denso 234-9048 is the up stream air fuel ratio sensor. Most people stripped these, especially on higher mileage car. Mine did over the weekend during my headers installation.
Old 06-17-13, 01:21 PM
Defratos
Racer

Ok understood so the device given with the headers connects to my header OEM sensor.

And the up stream air fuel sensors are the ones connected to my exhaust system? Which I can replace with the Denso ones if needs be
Old 06-17-13, 01:25 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Thanks for the feedback,

Right so I understand what gaskets I have to get, but I'm now confused as to which sensor people usually have a problem with.

I honestly believe you won't strip any of your sensors with your car being so new. Mine came out VERY easily. Don't even worry about it. I believe most people were having problems with the A/F sensors on the headers which are more expensive than the O2's on the exhaust. Just get the headers and install. No need to buy gaskets or sensors with your car being so new.
Old 06-17-13, 01:31 PM
Defratos
Racer

You're probably right PhiDeltBee but to be honest living here it takes a long time getting hold of parts, even from the dealership I would have to wait well over a month to get something as simple as brake lines.

The ISF being my daily driver I don't want to take the risk of having my car off the road for that long a period (I just went through that horror a few weeks back with powder coating my callipers)

But I like you're way of thinking "just get it done" lol I'll wait for the wife and kids to travel again and get it installed

Last edited by Defratos; 06-17-13 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-17-13, 01:37 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Ok understood so the device given with the headers connects to my header OEM sensor.

And the up stream air fuel sensors are the ones connected to my exhaust system? Which I can replace with the Denso ones if needs be
A/F sensors connect to the headers.
O2 sensors connect to the exhaust.

PPE simulators connect to the O2 sensors (to trick the ECU)

If you feel comfortable buying any sensors...buy the A/F's. Those will be the ones most likely to give you any issues (although highly unlikely). Also, didn't notice you're in the desert.
Old 06-17-13, 02:20 PM
Defratos
Racer

Thanks for the info PhiDeltBee
Old 06-17-13, 08:56 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
PPE simulators connect to the O2 sensors (to trick the ECU)
Actually The Simulator, there is only one, Connects from above the the ECU wire connectors under a flip open box under the hood. It is installed from above, and complete instructions come with the headers. Once installed, unless you know what your looking for, the installation is invisible.

Lou
Old 06-17-13, 09:50 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Actually The Simulator, there is only one, Connects from above the the ECU wire connectors under a flip open box under the hood. It is installed from above, and complete instructions come with the headers. Once installed, unless you know what your looking for, the installation is invisible.

Lou
Mine was modified to tap into the two downstream o2 sensors. More simpler installation because of no stripping or clipping of the ecu harness. No code so far
Attached Thumbnails Header & Exhaust questions-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Header & Exhaust questions