IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Looking to buy an ISF. 2009 or later models?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 11:45 PM
kdm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy an ISF. 2009 or later models?

Hello members of Club Lexus,

I am looking to add another car in my garage and seriously thinking about the ISF considering how underrated and beautiful it is... Now, I am deciding whether to get a 2009 or any of the later models.

I definitely LOVE the "samurai-blade" wheels AND the appearance of the gauge cluster of the 2009 model, which none the later models sport (well, except the 2010). I know they are minor cosmetic factors, but which model would you get? Should I get a newer model with fewer mileage and possibly purchase the samurai-blade wheels separately?

There's a 2009 CPO Smoky Granite Mica (favorite color) IS-F in a nearby dealership selling at $44k with 44k miles that had 3 previous owners that I am interested in but I can't make up my mind until I read some of your opinions.

Any response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-10-13, 11:53 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kdm
Hello members of Club Lexus,

I am looking to add another car in my garage and seriously thinking about the ISF considering how underrated and beautiful it is... Now, I am deciding whether to get a 2009 or any of the later models.

I definitely LOVE the "samurai-blade" wheels AND the appearance of the gauge cluster of the 2009 model, which none the later models sport (well, except the 2010). I know they are minor cosmetic factors, but which model would you get? Should I get a newer model with fewer mileage and possibly purchase the samurai-blade wheels separately?

There's a 2009 CPO Smoky Granite Mica (favorite color) IS-F in a nearby dealership selling at $44k with 44k miles that had 3 previous owners that I am interested in but I can't make up my mind until I read some of your opinions.

Any response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Get a 2010 if you can. The 10 are in the low 40k and up. 09 with 44k miles for 44k is a bit high in my book. It has limited slip differential and the 08-10 gauge cluster. I would gladly trade you my 08-09 blade wheels for yours any day!!
Old 06-11-13, 12:02 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=9&Log=0
Old 06-11-13, 12:09 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

First off, welcome to CL!

It all boils down to what you want. If you're set with the SGM, which is a discontinued color, definitely stick with searching for that. The samurai blades are unique to the F, something I've never seen replicated on any other factory or aftermarket wheel, can be bought used or traded with others. The price you are looking at does seem a bit high, even with the mileage. It is a CPO, which gives you some assurance, but definitely have your own mechanic take a overview of it. The F has gone through some improvements year after year, with the LSD and updated stock suspension being some of the greater ones, so it really does come down to what you really need.

I would be inclined to look at newer models ('10 and up) simply because they will still be under warranty, possibly have less wear and tear, and they will have more of the refinement with the changes. You can always swap wheels later.

Best of luck to you!
Old 06-11-13, 08:21 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't think $44K for a 2009 with 44K miles is a very good deal. I would definitely continue looking if for no other reason than that. I bought my 09 a year ago (so one year newer) with 13K miles and one previous owner for $47,500 as a comparison. I think I got a pretty good deal, but I've seen others on this board do even better than I did.

The differences between each model year are definitely there. Some differences are big, some are smaller, and it's up to you to decide what matters to you. If the true mechanical LSD is important to you, then it may be worthwhile to buy a 2010. Also, the 2010 has iPod integration and hard drive based Nav which are pluses. I ended up buying my car because of the extremely low mileage and one owner factor. The car was practically still new, even though it was technically 3 years old. If I had to do it all over again though, I might have paid a couple thousand more and picked up a 2010 instead, because of the changes mentioned above.

Either way though, I say pass on that deal you found local to you and keep looking.
Old 06-11-13, 08:37 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

i agree with most of the sentiment here. if i could afford it i would get a 2010 over an 08 or 09 all day. the lsd and the updated nav/bluetooth audio is a big bonus. and i would imagine it would be easy enough to find someone willing to do a wheel trade.

44k for that 09 seems a bit high as well from what i've seen (especially given 3 prev owners). guess just depends how much you value the cpo too.
Old 06-11-13, 08:40 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

I paid 43k for my 08 in feb with 40,000 less miles and 1 owner... Granted it wasn't CPO. I think if you could get some money off it wouldn't be to bad.
Old 06-11-13, 01:32 PM
kdm
Pole Position

Thanks all for your great replies.

Heading out now to check out a 2010 Obsidian with only 24.500 miles and 1 previous owner at a reasonable price but there's always room for haggle I'll post photos if it ends up in my driveway.. Wish me luck!
Old 06-11-13, 01:58 PM
vbb

Originally Posted by kdm

Heading out now to check out a 2010 Obsidian with only 24.500 miles and 1 previous owner at a reasonable price but there's always room for haggle I'll post photos if it ends up in my driveway.. Wish me luck!
That sounds perfect from a model year, mileage, previous owner and color standpoint. Good luck! I hope your next post includes pics of the car from your driveway.
Old 06-11-13, 03:25 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kdm

Good luck on the search.
Old 06-12-13, 08:15 PM
kdm
Pole Position

I ended up getting the Obsidian - what a beast, I must say!

However, I am disappointed in the ML audio system; where's the bass? Yes, I'm quite an audiophile, but still, riich and deep bass is nowhere to be found. Also, is it only me or do I have to put the volume up to around 25 to hear anything? What was Lexus thinking!

Also, I'm considering buying the samurai blade rims sometime in the near future. The ones that come stock for the 2010 are definitely nice, but not too enthusiastic about them. They kind of remind me of a spiderweb..? Everyone else who have seen the wheels absolutely love them except I... anyone here prefer the 08-09 wheels (blades) over those of the later models? :/

Other than that, lovin'' the IS-F. I like the fact that there aren't that many on the streets
Old 06-12-13, 08:36 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

The 10 wheels are my least Favorite. If they were 11+ i would have traded you my blades. I like the blades though.
Old 06-12-13, 09:02 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on the car. Looks like you will be detailing the Obsidian every weekend!!!!
Old 06-13-13, 04:38 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by kdm
I ended up getting the Obsidian - what a beast, I must say!

However, I am disappointed in the ML audio system; where's the bass? Yes, I'm quite an audiophile, but still, rich and deep bass is nowhere to be found. Also, is it only me or do I have to put the volume up to around 25 to hear anything? What was Lexus thinking!

Also, I'm considering buying the samurai blade rims sometime in the near future. The ones that come stock for the 2010 are definitely nice, but not too enthusiastic about them. They kind of remind me of a spiderweb..? Everyone else who have seen the wheels absolutely love them except I... anyone here prefer the 08-09 wheels (blades) over those of the later models? :/

Other than that, lovin'' the IS-F. I like the fact that there aren't that many on the streets
I knew you'd end up with it! Congrats! As for the bass, do like many of us did... add an aftermarket amp and sub to your ML system and then it'll be perfect. I went with a single JL 10" sub in a custom box powered by a 300W Alpine amp. I tapped right in to the existing sub outs with a signal converter. It gives me all the bottom end I could possibly want. The system downright booms if I want it to now.
Old 06-14-13, 12:02 AM
kdm
Pole Position

CUTigers - You know, it's weird. I didn't like them for the first two days but today I looked at them again and they're not half-bad. I think the wheel design is starting to grow on me... I still have a soft spot for them blades, though

mr2envi - Thanks, I hope so. The dealership did a good job on cleaning and detailing the car. I WISH it could stay like that forever! :P

vbb - Yeah, I heard good things about JL Audio. What do you recommend me to install if I don't want any hardcore pumping bass? I just want more richness and depth to the bass (which currently, again, is seriously lacking). Just add a sub in the trunk? Please enlighten me; I'm not too knowledgeable about audio systems...

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an ISF. 2009 or later models?