KWv3 Coilover general question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 12:53 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMV8
Yes that^

I'm still undecided with which route to take on a coilover setup.
Does anybody have any comments/comparisons between the kw v3 and bc raxing coilovers? Asking for differences in functionality.
PM Teo for BC racing reviews, and Kashan for KW reviews......they're both on facebook
Old 06-07-13, 05:35 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
PM Teo for BC racing reviews, and Kashan for KW reviews......they're both on facebook
hahaha im the one who told kashan to get kwv3...lol...guess he never looked back. I spoke with Renatik and I don't think he can go wrong with either one. good luck on your decision. if ur planning to get the kw v3 get it with the top hats. it will save you some time.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 06-07-13 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-07-13, 10:21 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh ok it has been a couple years now since I bought my KWs.
Old 06-07-13, 10:32 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

We never got an update that they come with upper hats now and the install instructions are the same revision from 2012. We sell them at MAP which is the lowest price to maintain a warranty.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 06-08-13, 06:58 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Dont get me wrong, I like the BC in stiffer rates and they are a large improvement over stock from what i have seen, but I have a serious gut feeling the KW rides better at lower speeds. I think when you make the BC fairly soft the ride gets bouncy, which I dislike. When they are stiff I am impressed with their stability. I have already noticed the BC short travel distance with the roads in upstate NY and VT...potholes are rough on these coils. I will switch to Ohlins when a proper ISF version is, if ever released.
Old 06-09-13, 12:38 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
Dont get me wrong, I like the BC in stiffer rates and they are a large improvement over stock from what i have seen, but I have a serious gut feeling the KW rides better at lower speeds. I think when you make the BC fairly soft the ride gets bouncy, which I dislike. When they are stiff I am impressed with their stability. I have already noticed the BC short travel distance with the roads in upstate NY and VT...potholes are rough on these coils. I will switch to Ohlins when a proper ISF version is, if ever released.
I would have to agree with you darbs, however I just finished installed my BC R with the swift option (16/12) as per figs suggestions. The new BC's ride very very close, if not the same as the KW's. Plus I would never realistically play with all of the settings the KW's have.
Old 06-09-13, 07:52 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
That's why I got rid of BC's and just went with springs. They were bouncy in the softer settings and I felt the rears were dipping too much. I too am getting bored with my F. As much as I love it, I am really considering sporty replacements.
Old 06-09-13, 01:38 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

The dual flow valve will always provide greater comfort than a single stage however the spring should be more instrumental in travel limits with the KW that they are allowing. KW v3 for this application is a street coilover and comfortable.

In other news we are getting closer on the Ohlins front. Keep in mind that Ohlins is never going to release a IS-F specific RT kit because they are subject to what they get out of Japan. So we are going to have to revalve them and respring them plus add rear upper hats since they currently use the stock parts in the rear. But that will still be less expensive than the Penske setup we offer.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 09-17-13, 09:19 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Hello everyone,

I just went thru a few KW coilovers threads. Some noted that coilovers need to be rebuilt after a while.
What is an average lifespan of a coilover setup, if used on a daily driver, no track use, just lots of "spirited"
driving?

Also what is the process of rebuilding those?

What might be the average cost of rebuilding these?
Old 09-17-13, 10:41 AM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
Hello everyone,

I just went thru a few KW coilovers threads. Some noted that coilovers need to be rebuilt after a while.
What is an average lifespan of a coilover setup, if used on a daily driver, no track use, just lots of "spirited"
driving?

Also what is the process of rebuilding those?

What might be the average cost of rebuilding these?
KWs are quite durable. If you're the original and have the receipt, they offer limited lifetime warranty. They will only service your shocks for free if you adhere to the height that KW recommends. If you slam the car and ruin the coils, you'll have to pay for it. It costs $180 per shock and you'll have to cover the shipping to KW. They cover the shipping cost after the service.

If they take the coils back under warranty, you cover the shipping to them and they pay for shipping back to you. The turn around is usually 2 weeks.

As long as you stick to KW specifications, the coils will last a long time. I've seen KW V3 with over 50k miles and numerous track days and they still function as they should with no issues.

Hope this helps.
Terrance
Old 09-17-13, 10:49 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Rex06
KWs are quite durable. If you're the original and have the receipt, they offer limited lifetime warranty. They will only service your shocks for free if you adhere to the height that KW recommends. If you slam the car and ruin the coils, you'll have to pay for it. It costs $180 per shock and you'll have to cover the shipping to KW. They cover the shipping cost after the service.

If they take the coils back under warranty, you cover the shipping to them and they pay for shipping back to you. The turn around is usually 2 weeks.

As long as you stick to KW specifications, the coils will last a long time. I've seen KW V3 with over 50k miles and numerous track days and they still function as they should with no issues.

Hope this helps.
Terrance
anyone have pics an ISF set at the KW recommended height?
Old 09-17-13, 10:58 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Hope this helps.
Terrance
Thank you so much for the info. All the threads indicate that KWs are a must for my 2010F
Old 09-17-13, 11:05 AM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't remember the exact numbers but I set it somewhere in the middle of KW recommended highest and lowest height.

Terrance
Old 09-17-13, 11:19 AM
1BAD4DR
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

I've owned the following suspensions:

Bilsteins PSS9
Tien Super Street
KW Variant 3
Eibach Springs
H&R springs
And now BC coilovers
All on different cars. All lowered. All drive. Aggressive on. In short Let me tell you get the BC because they ride great!!!
Old 09-17-13, 01:04 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't remember the exact numbers but I set it somewhere in the middle of KW recommended highest and lowest height.

Terrance
Thanks, T! Looks great. I want to go a little bit lower than that on 20s so that's good frame of reference.