Quick wheel spacer question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-13, 05:58 AM
TCMEDIA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick wheel spacer question?

Guys,

Im after a more flush look with the OEM wheels on my ISF and want to know whats the biggest spacer you can run with no arch mods?

I have searched the forum and seen people run 15-20mm spacers on OEM wheels and tire sizes.

Can you run 20mm all round with no rubbing?

Also I know better off set wheels would be the best option but im not changing the wheels so spacers look the cheapest way to achieve a nicer flush look. The car is my DD and wont ever see a track etc so Im not too concerned about the safety aspect etc.

I have seen the thread where to Ichba one's cracked so Im looking to go with another brand.

Any one recommend a decent set to me?

Thanks.
Old 05-27-13, 08:45 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TCMEDIA
Guys,

Im after a more flush look with the OEM wheels on my ISF and want to know whats the biggest spacer you can run with no arch mods?

I have searched the forum and seen people run 15-20mm spacers on OEM wheels and tire sizes.

Can you run 20mm all round with no rubbing?

Also I know better off set wheels would be the best option but im not changing the wheels so spacers look the cheapest way to achieve a nicer flush look. The car is my DD and wont ever see a track etc so Im not too concerned about the safety aspect etc.

I have seen the thread where to Ichba one's cracked so Im looking to go with another brand.

Any one recommend a decent set to me?

Thanks.
Don't know if you will rub or not, but the more important thing is how you're going to install this. Some members do have spacers, but, I don't know what brand. If you go that thick with a spacer, keep in mind that you'll probably have to go with extended wheel studs or else you won't get enough threading on the wheel nut.

Secondly, if you go with a setup like Project Kics (what I used to run on a previous car), it may already have the studs, but your wheels may not be drilled correctly for it.

Third, the thing I would worry about most is the excessive load that you may put on the wheel bearings by running too wide of a spacer and therefore you MAY get premature wheel bearing failure.

How can you say that since you're not going to the track, safety isn't a concern? Safety should be the #1 concern regardless of track or street. If it can handle the abuse of the track, it can handle the streets. Then again, you may have crappy roads, which then is completely opposite of a smooth track. If you read about the many threads on the inter webs (not just on CL), about people losing their tires etc...a lot of the time, it involves them using a spacer.

For safety, I laugh so hard when people buy cheap tires...your life is pretty much dependent on these 4 rubber donuts.

I want to say you can run 10mm potentially without any problems...but if it were me, I'd just get wheels and tires. Then you get WIDER tires too.
Old 05-27-13, 09:36 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run spacers on my 350z (25,30mm) with many track days on them. I also run 15/15 on my F as well. I also use these same spacers to lap VIR at a weekend HPDE. VIR is very hard on the car, but she performed flawlessly with the spacers.

Granted I do believe having spacers will lead to premature bearing wear as my 350z front bearings went at 163k miles. I had about 90k miles on the spacers. Changing the front hub nearing assembly on the Z is really easy and a cost I feel if you want to run spacers. I don't mind since then front bearing assemblies are relatively cheap and easy to install.

On the F in checked before buying them how easy it is to change the front bearing hub assembly and it's the same as the Z. So take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by Bigcloud; 05-27-13 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-27-13, 09:43 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Been running 15mm H&R spacers on a lowered car for 15k miles now with no issues. I've ran the car all the way to the governor with them on. I'm even running wider tires 245/275 with no rubbing. I will say, I had to buy a cheap heat gun at Lowes to mold the plastic fender liner on the the front passenger side, but it only rubbed when turned full lock to the left and backing down a steep incline.
Old 05-27-13, 09:49 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

25mm all around when i was stock. ran project kics and ichibas for the last 4 years on all of my rides. i prefer ichibas. taken my F over 150mph, and never had a single problem. now running those 25mm ichibas on my daily driver.

Old 05-27-13, 11:09 AM
awkkwrd
Rookie

^ are your fenders rolled or anything?
Old 05-27-13, 12:57 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by awkkwrd
^ are your fenders rolled or anything?
yep, rolled. i do that to all of my main cars.
Old 05-30-13, 12:55 PM
TCMEDIA
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replys guys, So if im OEM tire specs and not lowered then 20mm all round should fit?

ISF POWER that looks awesome man! 25mm does that give you flush or not quite?
Old 05-30-13, 01:41 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Anyone running spacers with 245/35/19 & 275/30/19 Tires (PSS) on OEM wheels (2010/2011)?
What size of spacers with this setup w/o needing to roll or cut fenders?
Any photos of this setup will be greatly appritiated.

I am leaning towards 10mm spacers.
Old 05-30-13, 02:15 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TCMEDIA
Thanks for the replys guys, So if im OEM tire specs and not lowered then 20mm all round should fit?

ISF POWER that looks awesome man! 25mm does that give you flush or not quite?

Before I upgraded to PSS's I had 15mm front and 20mm rear. I went to a bigger tire size (265/35 rear) and I got some rubbing with rolled fenders so I went from 20mm to 15mm in the rear.
Old 06-05-13, 10:01 AM
seanphan
Rookie

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a quick question relating to spacers also.

I'm getting a set of TE37s that are 19x9.5 +34 and 19x10.5 +34. Does anyone know if these will clear bbks on the isF or will I have to run spacers? And if I do have to run spacers what's the minimum I would have to run to clear?
Old 06-05-13, 12:57 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by seanphan
Sorry to bump an old thread but I hav e a quick question relating to spacers also.

I'm getting a set of TE37s that are 19x9.5 +34 and 19x10.5 +34. Does anyone know if these will clear bbks on the isF or will I have to run spacers? And if I do have to run spacers what's the minimum I would have to run to clear?
it will clear brakes wit no problem te37 wheels were pure bred race wheels are were meant for huge calipers.

you wont need spacers really, the rear, you will have to give a really good roll on the fenders and run 267/30/19 to clear. Good luck.
Old 06-05-13, 02:14 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rossi
Anyone running spacers with 245/35/19 & 275/30/19 Tires (PSS) on OEM wheels (2010/2011)?
What size of spacers with this setup w/o needing to roll or cut fenders?
Any photos of this setup will be greatly appritiated.

I am leaning towards 10mm spacers.
I'm running those exact tires on my stock 2011 wheels with 15mm all the way around. Car is also lowered on Swift springs. You can see my only issue above that took all of 5 minutes to fix.
Old 06-05-13, 08:42 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
I'm running those exact tires on my stock 2011 wheels with 15mm all the way around. Car is also lowered on Swift springs. You can see my only issue above that took all of 5 minutes to fix.
Thank you for following up
I have Eibachs in front, only 0.7 inch lowered, I might be OK without the modification.
Any photo of the setup, please?
Old 06-06-13, 10:01 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Quick Reply: Quick wheel spacer question?