Driving habit - Transmission related

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-13, 01:04 PM
Murajitul
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving habit - Transmission related

Hi guys,

I am one of those who used have a Manual trans in previous car before the F and because I got so used to the manual shifting that it became my driving habit. So even now that i have the awesome automatic of the F, I am still keep putting the gear into N instead of D when I come to a stop at the light.

So the question is....Do you think what I am doing is bad for the transmission? I understand that it may put more stress on the transmission.....but what about you guys?....do you keep the gear in D while you are waiting for long lights?

I hope this question was not covered in past. (FYI...I DID search on transmission issues and there were tons....i just hope i didnt miss it)

Thanks!
Old 05-23-13, 01:07 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave mine in D or 1 if in manual...

At least you dont put it in N on down hill slopes to save gas, because that actually burns more gas lol.
Old 05-23-13, 04:10 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Murajitul
Hi guys,

I am one of those who used have a Manual trans in previous car before the F and because I got so used to the manual shifting that it became my driving habit. So even now that i have the awesome automatic of the F, I am still keep putting the gear into N instead of D when I come to a stop at the light.

So the question is....Do you think what I am doing is bad for the transmission? I understand that it may put more stress on the transmission.....but what about you guys?....do you keep the gear in D while you are waiting for long lights?

I hope this question was not covered in past. (FYI...I DID search on transmission issues and there were tons....i just hope i didnt miss it)

Thanks!
Why would you have to put the car in N for? What does previous only driving a manual car have to do with this ?
Old 05-23-13, 05:57 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Yeah, I don't know why your hand is even near the shifter. Hands on the wheel and using paddles in M. Or else letting the car do everything in D (Auto).

Try keeping your hands at 10 and 2 even when stopped. Break yourself of the habbit of touching the shifter at all unless in a parking lot.

Going into N isn't bad for the car but if you're in D the car will be trying to be in such a high gear that you're basically coasting anyway.
Old 05-23-13, 07:25 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

if manual was a habit, you would be pressing in the emergency brake as well when looking for a clutch., doesn't make sense. something here doesn't add up.
Old 05-23-13, 11:36 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't feed the trolls.....
Old 05-24-13, 05:44 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I usually turn my car off and the light and put on my emergency brake.
Old 05-24-13, 06:11 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Ok, be nice.

I too put my car in N at a stop light. It just seems like there would be less wear on the transmission doing so.

I could be wrong. I also use my parking brake even when parked on flat surfaces. Habits from many years of manual car ownership.
Old 05-24-13, 06:23 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no need to place the tranny in neutral when you are driving in the manual mode. Regardless as to what gear you are in when you stop, the tranny is designed to drop to first gear to prevent stalling.
Old 05-24-13, 07:34 AM
Murajitul
Rookie

Originally Posted by tgui
Ok, be nice.

I too put my car in N at a stop light. It just seems like there would be less wear on the transmission doing so.

I could be wrong. I also use my parking brake even when parked on flat surfaces. Habits from many years of manual car ownership.
lol....wow all I asked was a question and no one gave me an answer but hate....thanks guys

I guess there arent a lot of people who puts car into N while waiting for light.....and i dont know who started saying I was putting the gear into N while driving Manual mode....i just said its just an habit from old car...and like tgui said i do use parking brakes more often than person who drove automatics only.

So no one know if constant movement of the gear from N to D puts more stress on tranny than it was designed to hold?
Old 05-24-13, 07:39 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What's wrong with putting the gear in N when the car is coming to a stop in a manual car? I did that all the time with all my manual cars. I simply put the the gear in N and let it roll to a stop, and if the light turns green I just push the gear in 2nd and get it going.

But again, as many people said...the biggest thing now is to break the habbit of resting your hand on the shifter when you driving this car... I owned 5 manual and 3 auto cars and I never have a hard time to break that

Or you can try left hand on the steering wheel, right hand on the cell phone facebooking! just kidding lol
Old 05-24-13, 07:41 AM
Murajitul
Rookie

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
I usually turn my car off and the light and put on my emergency brake.
Really?.......i hope you are not just being sarcastic and childish....
Old 05-24-13, 07:46 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Murajitul
lol....wow all I asked was a question and no one gave me an answer but hate....thanks guys

I guess there arent a lot of people who puts car into N while waiting for light.....and i dont know who started saying I was putting the gear into N while driving Manual mode....i just said its just an habit from old car...and like tgui said i do use parking brakes more often than person who drove automatics only.

So no one know if constant movement of the gear from N to D puts more stress on tranny than it was designed to hold?
I know how you feel my friend. You will realize soon it's always the same people come up with those 'smart' comment (most of them are just joking, which pretty funny haha; but that's few of them are indeed annoying in every posts lol) ! Sometime I have fun with them, but most of the time I just ignore them haha.

I ain't no expert, but IMO, no matter how strong and well build our engine and tranny are....putting un-nesscary stress (even maybe just a little just switch from N to 1 everyt time) will eventally reduce the life of the parts... I rather let the car do it own things in auto or M mode (it will down-shift itself to the lowest gear)

Good luck for breaking habbit, you can do it
Old 05-24-13, 07:57 AM
Murajitul
Rookie

Originally Posted by sleepyray
What's wrong with putting the gear in N when the car is coming to a stop in a manual car? I did that all the time with all my manual cars. I simply put the the gear in N and let it roll to a stop, and if the light turns green I just push the gear in 2nd and get it going.

But again, as many people said...the biggest thing now is to break the habbit of resting your hand on the shifter when you driving this car... I owned 5 manual and 3 auto cars and I never have a hard time to break that

Or you can try left hand on the steering wheel, right hand on the cell phone facebooking! just kidding lol
thanks that was what i was talking about the manual habit but I do put my hand on the steering when I am spirit driving but I do not put my hand 10 o'clock for left and 2 o'clock for right hand ALL the time....i guess some people NEVER take their hands off from the steering wheel....
Old 05-24-13, 08:09 AM
Murajitul
Rookie

Originally Posted by sleepyray
I know how you feel my friend. You will realize soon it's always the same people come up with those 'smart' comment (most of them are just joking, which pretty funny haha; but that's few of them are indeed annoying in every posts lol) ! Sometime I have fun with them, but most of the time I just ignore them haha.

I ain't no expert, but IMO, no matter how strong and well build our engine and tranny are....putting un-nesscary stress (even maybe just a little just switch from N to 1 everyt time) will eventally reduce the life of the parts... I rather let the car do it own things in auto or M mode (it will down-shift itself to the lowest gear)

Good luck for breaking habbit, you can do it
Thank you Sleepray.....all I wanted to know was others opinion and yeah I've been and I am working to change my habit and I guess I was just wanted to confirm with someone in forum that its bad for the car and I should stop because I thought there are more helpful people than haters...

anyways appreciate your comments and insights about 'smart' comments.

Quick Reply: Driving habit - Transmission related