IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Just curious....2 quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-13, 10:40 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just curious....2 quick questions

sorry i couldn't find a definitive answer searching.....

Does the eLSD make the car too difficult to drift? in most of the videos i've watched, it looks like any drifting done is choppy, and you can only get one of the back wheels really sliding, and only for a short time.....

also, are the side vents functional? when i looked it seemed like the front wheel wells were all sealed up, so can't see how any air would be passing through there.

apologies if these are stupid questions!

thanks,
bobby

Last edited by scamsel; 05-23-13 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-23-13, 10:45 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most videos you see are probably e-LSD cars.

The LSD cars are driftomobiles...

See here:

Old 05-23-13, 10:48 AM
scamsel
Advanced

yeh, thanks man. yeah all the ones i see really sliding around are the newer models for sure. unfort my budget for now is 35k and its pretty tough to find a clean 2010 for that.
Old 05-23-13, 10:54 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awe, still havent picked on up?
Old 05-23-13, 10:59 AM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by scamsel
yeh, thanks man. yeah all the ones i see really sliding around are the newer models for sure. unfort my budget for now is 35k and its pretty tough to find a clean 2010 for that.
Do the LSD upgrade then on a 2008/9? You can buy the diff new or find a 2010+ at the wreckers and get the diff. Actually, you may want to do this in the reverse order if cost is the priority. Hunt around for a diff from a wrecker, when you find one you are happy with buy it, then buy the car. If you don't get the diff, your saving cash for a 2010.
Old 05-23-13, 11:14 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

My GF found a wrecked F on craigslist a couple days ago for me and asked what part I was wanting from it and she would see if it had it still... She showed me a pic of the rear axels hanging loose. I was like dang
Old 05-23-13, 11:34 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Originally Posted by CUTigers
My GF found a wrecked F on craigslist a couple days ago for me and asked what part I was wanting from it and she would see if it had it still... She showed me a pic of the rear axels hanging loose. I was like dang
Ha dang! Yeah still haven't got one yet. Still kinda waiting for the perfect one (in reasonable driving distance)

I really would like the ability to be able to power slide around.

No comments on the vents?
Old 05-23-13, 11:39 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

They are solid as far as I can tell. Although we could cut real vents into it if you really wanted
Old 05-23-13, 11:43 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by scamsel
sorry i couldn't find a definitive answer searching.....

Does the eLSD make the car too difficult to drift? in most of the videos i've watched, it looks like any drifting done is choppy, and you can only get one of the back wheels really sliding, and only for a short time.....

also, are the side vents functional? when i looked it seemed like the front wheel wells were all sealed up, so can't see how any air would be passing through there.

apologies if these are stupid questions!

thanks,
bobby
1) Yes it does.
See post number 37 on my thread here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ed-pics-3.html

2) Yes they are.
Old 05-23-13, 12:17 PM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The side cutouts vent the front brakes, there are ports in the front bumper that direct air through the brakes and out the vents.

Old 05-23-13, 12:56 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Can someone tell me how they are functional? My inner wheel liner is solid as plastic can be. Solid wall ......... Does it have some random route behind the liner?

EDIT: just searched on CL and found some old threads that state the fender vents pull hot air out of the engine bay. Has nothing to do with brakes.

Last edited by CUTigers; 05-23-13 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-23-13, 03:03 PM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Can someone tell me how they are functional? My inner wheel liner is solid as plastic can be. Solid wall ......... Does it have some random route behind the liner?

EDIT: just searched on CL and found some old threads that state the fender vents pull hot air out of the engine bay. Has nothing to do with brakes.
One of the features of the 2013 ISF is "enlarged brake cooling vents"
Old 05-23-13, 05:47 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WillRockwe
One of the features of the 2013 ISF is "enlarged brake cooling vents"
On the front bumper? That doesnt explain to me how it would go through solid plastic if it was the side fender vents.
Old 05-23-13, 07:19 PM
scamsel
Advanced

On the front bumper? That doesnt explain to me how it would go through solid plastic if it was the side fender vents.
Yeh the engine bay thing makes more sense to me if somehow the air was routed out of there. I think they are referring to the front vents for the 2013. But, still not sure
Old 05-24-13, 06:08 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

I was intrigued enough to go out to the garage with a flashlight and camera. You are partially right. The side cutouts do not vent the brakes, but they are not solid plastic. There are holes all along the plastic (I stuck a nail through them), but they do seem to vent the engine compartment, not the brakes. While there is a dedicated duct on the bumper that directs air right onto the brakes, it does not exit through the side vents. I shined a flashlight through the vents and looked for the light inside the engine compartment. I didn't see it, but then you can't see much in there.

Quick Reply: Just curious....2 quick questions