IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Screw it...getting 2nd cat/muffler delete this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 08:08 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Ryan If you do this it'll cost you more than a few $100. There's no point adding resonators because the existing one that comes with the stock exhaust is preserved. A simple 2nd cat delete and muffler delete replaced with stainless steel pipes will suffice. Getting rid of mushed Y doesn't do anything. My setup doesn't sound raspy at all when warmed up.
my stock resonator is preserved in my garage.
Old 05-22-13, 03:22 AM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think I'm also gonna get the Sikky rear sway bar while I'm there, should be a fun weekend
The following users liked this post:
suavelexus (07-27-19)
Old 05-22-13, 11:02 PM
JcISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Just F Me
I get props ALLLLLL the time for the sound of my car. I still have my all my cats on. I just removed the mufflers and rear resonator. I get the thumbs up from fords, vettes, trucks, bmws, whatever. The ONLY person that has every consistently said that "it's too loud" was Blitz_714 LOL.
Any sound clips/videos?

So, now I'm really interested in doing a muffler delete. What exactly do I ask for if I go to a muffler shop? Do I just say I want a muffler delete and for the pipes to run straight to the quad tips? What piping (type and size) should the muffler shop be using to do this?
Old 05-23-13, 04:55 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JcISF
Any sound clips/videos?

So, now I'm really interested in doing a muffler delete. What exactly do I ask for if I go to a muffler shop? Do I just say I want a muffler delete and for the pipes to run straight to the quad tips? What piping (type and size) should the muffler shop be using to do this?
Do you want the ability to go back to easily put the mufflers back on?
Old 05-23-13, 07:16 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any sound clips/videos?

Yes. I think 2.5" T304 mandrel bent stainless steel pipes. My shop ordered from Vibrantperformance.com ... if you are unsure just put the car on the lift and use tape measure.

I have extensive pics/video in the thread below:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...your-is-f.html

Last edited by VtotheJ; 05-23-13 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-23-13, 07:42 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard quite a few IS-F with Joe-Z and the sound is near perfect.

You guys remove the mufflers and resonators must be really loud, are you retaining the main stock cats though to avoid the CEL?

Check out this M5 running complete straight pipes, total BEAST

Old 05-23-13, 08:16 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

^^IMO that m5 doesn't sound like anything special. The E60 M5 with aftermarket exhaust sounds way better. If it wasn't for the abysmal gas mileage and crappy reliability I would have considered the E60......that V10 is just sublime to hear.

I passed inspection with my setup. No CEL's as long as you don't mess with the primary cats in the headers. You can pretty much cut off everything after the o2 sensors and not throw any codes. I did an extensive video with all driving styles and it is not loud at all under moderate load cruising at 70mph.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 05-23-13 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-23-13, 03:21 PM
JcISF
Rookie

I don't think I care if I can put back the mufflers if it turns out good. However, I am a little concerned it maybe too loud or obnoxious. I daily drive my car to clients so I want something more deep roar as opposed to raspy. I love the sound of the Joe Z exhaust; just looking for a cheaper alternative.

VtotheJ - I didn't realize you had to order parts, I thought you could just take it to a shop and they would weld on a straight pipe. Good thing I asked. Thanks.
Old 05-23-13, 06:43 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I care if I can put back the mufflers if it turns out good. However, I am a little concerned it maybe too loud or obnoxious. I daily drive my car to clients so I want something more deep roar as opposed to raspy. I love the sound of the Joe Z exhaust; just looking for a cheaper alternative.

VtotheJ - I didn't realize you had to order parts, I thought you could just take it to a shop and they would weld on a straight pipe. Good thing I asked. Thanks.
I think it just depends on where you take it. I'm bringing it to JE Import Performance in Baltimore and they are just going to either use scrap pipe from other projects or fabricate their own. If it is a bigger shop there shouldn't be any need to special order straight pipe.
Old 05-25-13, 06:05 AM
elowderm
Driver School Candidate

My F came with a muffler delete on stock exhaust when I got it. It is loud but a very unclean sound. I raced a stock F several times and was left by two car lengths in the beginning due to the low end torque. After getting my Joez exhaust and took out the 2 nd cats, and it felt like the HP/and torque jumped dramatically, along with a more sporty sound. I feel there was a large loss of power with the muff/delete. The accelerateration is smoother and faster now. Last year I added PPE headers with high flow cats. The sound is incredible! It obviously is even faster now, but the diff in sound quality from the muffler delete is night and day. Makes me want to warn anyone from doing the muff/delete IMHO. Cheap sound but terrible power loss.
Old 05-25-13, 07:03 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by elowderm
My F came with a muffler delete on stock exhaust when I got it. It is loud but a very unclean sound. I raced a stock F several times and was left by two car lengths in the beginning due to the low end torque. After getting my Joez exhaust and took out the 2 nd cats, and it felt like the HP/and torque jumped dramatically, along with a more sporty sound. I feel there was a large loss of power with the muff/delete. The accelerateration is smoother and faster now. Last year I added PPE headers with high flow cats. The sound is incredible! It obviously is even faster now, but the diff in sound quality from the muffler delete is night and day. Makes me want to warn anyone from doing the muff/delete IMHO. Cheap sound but terrible power loss.
To each their own. Almost every single F has joe-z/borla/ISS. Muffler/cat delete is a unique and raw sound, and it doesn't sound cheap at all. I get compliments from everyone, supercar and sports car owners alike.

A stock ISF left you by TWO car lengths? Jeez, you must be the needle in the haystack. Were you in Sport + M mode with VSC/traction off, while shifting after the beep? The car is nearly 60lb lighter and has restrictive components of the exhaust removed. If you looked through the OEM mufflers and secondary cats you can see how restrictive they are.

FWIW I ran with 2 ISF's that had full bolt-ons and it was dead even. 40-60, 40-80, 40-100. I would imagine top-end they would have me but I'm not sure by how much. Before telling everyone "terrible power loss" you should back it up with dyno numbers, before and after the mod. Also take your car to the drag strip and see what you run. I'm not directing this at you, but full boltons are a waste of $3k if you don't know how to drive.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 05-25-13 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-25-13, 07:47 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Food for thought, EVERYONE has their own opinion on exhaust sound!

Personally I think it's a cheap way to get sound and "most" people who do it is because of money issues. Usually it's the younger crowd who goes this route. Just saying
Old 05-25-13, 10:52 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

I have no money issues and I went the exhaust mod route. Why? Because $1k+ is a waste of money for an exhaust that nobody sees (besides the $2K+ ISS forged exhaust). Also, the majority of us don't take the car on a timed course to fully exploit the benefits.

Ignorance at it's best... s4play do you have statistics on the age of people that do this? Probably not. "Younger crowd" is also subjective term. The ignorance of people here kill me, LOL.
Old 05-25-13, 10:58 AM
elowderm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
To each their own. Almost every single F has joe-z/borla/ISS. Muffler/cat delete is a unique and raw sound, and it doesn't sound cheap at all. I get compliments from everyone, super car and sports car owners alike.

A stock ISF left you by TWO car lengths? Jeez, you must be the needle in the haystack. Were you in Sport + M mode with VSC/traction off, while shifting after the beep? The car is nearly 60lb lighter and has restrictive components of the exhaust removed. If you looked through the OEM mufflers and secondary cats you can see how restrictive they are.

FWIW I ran with 2 ISF's that had full bolt-ons and it was dead even. 40-60, 40-80, 40-100. I would imagine top-end they would have me but I'm not sure by how much. Before telling everyone "terrible power loss" you should back it up with dyno numbers, before and after the mod. Also take your car to the drag strip and see what you run. I'm not directing this at you, but full boltons are a waste of $3k if you don't know how to drive.
Im not discounting those who like it, I just offered my opinion as i stated. I even let my buddy drive my car while I drove his incase it was diff of driving styles. His car avg a car length after the first 8th mile and it stayed like that through about a qtr mile. I'd like to post the dyno numbers that I have but I don't have CL status yet to do it. I do think the delete exhaust sounded good for the money, but it now sounds more more tuned like a real sports car, rather then a loud untuned muscle car sound. My dyno's for the muffler delete were very inconsistent, especially in the low end torque where it seemed the graph bounced alot versus a smooth graduation, at least until you were over 100mph, it was at an avg 340HP. My joez exhaust dyno put out 358HP/334 ftlbsTQ, when I added PPE headers it went to 394HP/375ftlbsTQ where both had a very smooth increase on the graphs. All dyno's were done warm because its hot and humid hear in Texas anyway and I wanted to have a more realistic idea of what it would have day to day. You'll prob get better numbers up north, or if you let the car cool down.
Old 05-25-13, 11:41 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

^That's a nice power jump, I am interested to see what you would run on a drag strip qtr mile (closed course). A dyno is good to show if mods actually increased power, which in your case it did. As everyone always says, including forum veteran Lobuxracer, the best performance mods are made to the driver. Around a track, he would probably beat most bolt-on ISF's on here in his bone stock ISF, since he doesn't believe in mods, rather how to be a better driver. Let me tell you, at the ISF mega meet in April I got to hear a bunch of bolt-on ISF's with diff combos, and it sounds amazing. But is it worth $3-4k? Nope...I don't track the car regularly. The power we all have in our F's can get us in trouble already.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 05-25-13 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Screw it...getting 2nd cat/muffler delete this weekend.