IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

THE Definitive Thread About Straight Piping Your IS F

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 11:37 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default THE Definitive Thread About Straight Piping Your IS F

Lets try and keep this thread active and to the top since the questions about this arise all the time. I had a question recently if running two separate pipes will be louder or not...here's my current setup.

Unlike some people who have had piping made to go straight to the back, I decided to just have a 90 degree exhaust dump by the rear diff. At first I left the resonator, then I went back and had it removed...Might not be the cleanest setup, but who cares, no one sees it anyways.

I wonder if i should separate the pipes after the cats or just keep it a single dump...hmmmm
Old 05-16-13, 11:43 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As I said before just remove the secondary cats...if it's too loud just weld them back on and separate the piping. it's worth a shot.
Old 05-16-13, 11:53 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

I was thinking about just leaving them in place, and just getting rid of the Y. Cats are good for the environment dude
Old 05-16-13, 12:10 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Oh come on stop being an environmentalist. Do you know how much pollution there is already.....besides you still have the primary cats from the headers.
Old 05-16-13, 12:57 PM
ISFGEORGE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's a nice weight reduction.. any sound clips ?
Old 05-16-13, 01:05 PM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking good so far

Also... I don't know about you but I'm allergic to cats
Old 05-16-13, 01:07 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just F me I did the exact mod 2 years ago and due to it exiting under the car ofcoase you will gain certain tonal qualities of resonance, and yes it did sound meaner and I was pretty happy.. But, as I re-visited what I did and after headers, I dont think its the best solution. One major factor was potential heat soaking of the rear diff, and especially after headers in stop and go traffic especially here in houston I was afraid the hot exhaust gases could damage the rear diff by increasing operating temp potentially shortening its life and thus I redid the setup for rear exit. But,as I have noticed you currently still have factory manifolds and cats, which even dumped on factory manifolds will still be quieter than one with headers; so I see you guys havent met the extreme sound I was describing, After I installed my headers I had straight pipes it gave me a migraine and I felt it was not the propr way to go..The output seemed in excess to our vehicles capability as to if you saw a ferrari or lamborghini that the "output matched performance" type of idea. Thus I have 2.5 inch pipes from headers into magnaflow mufflers and sounds perrrfect ...But, Isee you guys aregettng there.
Old 05-16-13, 01:07 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

I have a crap load of videos of my setup. Here they are. I can't really feel a weight reduction but I know the car lost at least 60lb... those mufflers are enormous. The secondaries weigh a lot too. As all other aftermarket systems do, there is drone right at 2k RPM. Anything higher or lower is solid.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 05-16-13 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-16-13, 04:03 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I removed my resonator and mufflers it does sound beastly that's for sure.... I had the piping extended to the rear tips that way the sound doesn't dump out right under my car
Old 05-16-13, 04:23 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Murph145
I removed my resonator and mufflers it does sound beastly that's for sure.... I had the piping extended to the rear tips that way the sound doesn't dump out right under my car
Everyone that sits in the back of my car always says..."why is it so loud back here" Me: "because the exhaust dump is right under you" Them: "huh what?" Me: "nothing (floors it to redline)"

Oh well...last time i actually drove someone was probably 6 months ago. and before that it was probably another 6 months.
Old 05-16-13, 04:51 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

you still got a mushed up y though
Old 05-16-13, 05:51 PM
ISFGEORGE
Rookie

VTOTHEJ, love your 10.8MPG average.. :-)
Old 05-16-13, 06:07 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFGEORGE
VTOTHEJ, love your 10.8MPG average.. :-)
I think I filled up half a tank and drove around stop and go traffic... my MPG is never that low :P

Originally Posted by lexsane
you still got a mushed up y though
Who cares Greggy....I'm still waiting for you to take your car to the track to see if it makes a difference....

btw stop using the excuse that I have secret mods... all the mods are listed in my sig below

Last edited by VtotheJ; 05-16-13 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-16-13, 06:20 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine is a custom true dual set up with a custom x pipe in place. No resonator or mufflers. Cats left in place.

Old 05-16-13, 06:34 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Anyone here have a Joe Z midpipe with muffler deletes?

Quick Reply: THE Definitive Thread About Straight Piping Your IS F