IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

accelerating from deadstop

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 09:00 PM
nsx042003
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default accelerating from deadstop

My F seems to be more tail happy lately, or maybe it was always like that from the beginning...

So my concern is, I'm at a complete stop and I want to open up the car till top of 2nd gear; when I put the pedal to the floor, the tailend would start going one way, usually slight left, and I have to countersteer to keep the car straight. And this is all when the day is clear, temperature in the 20s. All driving aids are on, no sport mode or M-mode on the gears.

Is this normal? or just the nature of the beast?

I've gone to the strip last year, and best I could pull was 13.5 @109. And I also had to fight a little off the line to keep car straight as well.

And this only happens when I take off, doesn't pull to either side in-between shifts.
Old 05-13-13, 09:40 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

It is normal....You have 2008.
You need to instal LSD to achieve both wheels take off without needing to counter steer.
Search for limited slip differential instalation on this forum, there is plenty info here.
Old 05-13-13, 09:50 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
It is normal....You have 2008.
You need to instal LSD to achieve both wheels take off without needing to counter steer.
Search for limited slip differential instalation on this forum, there is plenty info here.
The car has an LSD. Installation of the newer unit will not fix his problem as the LSD is working if the car is drifting to the right.

What tires are on the car?
Old 05-13-13, 09:56 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
The car has an LSD. Installation of the newer unit will not fix his problem as the LSD is working if the car is drifting to the right.

What tires are on the car?
This is incorrect...2008 models do not have LSD. If I'm not mistaken, it's 2010+ that have LSD. Second, 20 degrees is way too fricken cold for tires. If you're talking 20C, then I think that's almost like 70F, which isn't very hot either....warm up the tires.

Secondly...what tires are you running?
Old 05-13-13, 11:17 PM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
This is incorrect...2008 models do not have LSD. If I'm not mistaken, it's 2010+ that have LSD. Second, 20 degrees is way too fricken cold for tires. If you're talking 20C, then I think that's almost like 70F, which isn't very hot either....warm up the tires.

Secondly...what tires are you running?
08's have E-LSD "electronic limited-slip differential" but it could be the tires...
Old 05-14-13, 12:28 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

lots of power, cold tires, no grip.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-14-13, 01:13 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

try better/wider tires, check air pressure , drop psi down a bit if necessary, feather the throttle until you have traction instead of just slamming on the gas right off the bat.

Last edited by ISFPOWER; 05-14-13 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-14-13, 01:50 AM
Brisman
Rookie

Tyres starting to wear, progressive loss of grip?
Old 05-14-13, 04:43 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brisman
Tyres starting to wear, progressive loss of grip?
Computer should compensate for that. I could never launch sideways in my 2011 unless I completely turn off the traction control.
Old 05-14-13, 06:19 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are on summer tires on 20 degreee weather, that could be a reason why

id check tire pressure too
Old 05-14-13, 06:58 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran a 13.0 @ 111 on all-season tires and significant wheel spin in 50-something degree weather. But my car did NOT fishtail, just spun off the line even with traction control + VSC off. In very cold weather the wheels do spin but not to the extent you are describing. Car should not do the same thing when the temperatures are warmer, not as much at least.

My videos may help, your F may do the same.... I'm running stock sizes all around, Conti DWS

My wheelspin at the track:

Significant wheelspin halfway through 2nd gear at 2:40.....low 40 deg temps

Last edited by VtotheJ; 05-14-13 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-14-13, 07:53 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boostftw
08's have E-LSD "electronic limited-slip differential" but it could be the tires...
More like an E-wannabe-LSD. It's a bunch of computers trying to replicate the functionality of an LSD, in which it never really worked as good as a true LSD.
Old 05-14-13, 07:59 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an '11 and it always slips/pulls/chirps going into 2nd gear. It did it with the stock tires and it does it now with my Hankooks. It's only a split second thing and the LSD kicks in but it seems its over before it even happens.
Old 05-14-13, 08:34 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Just F Me
More like an E-wannabe-LSD. It's a bunch of computers trying to replicate the functionality of an LSD, in which it never really worked as good as a true LSD.
Care to explain how the car is fishtailing if the "E-Wannabe-LSD" isnt working and the car is only spinning one tire?
Old 05-14-13, 09:11 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

Wink

I am not the most experienced drag racer, but I don't think you want to go pedal to the floor when you launch in first gear. Your going to make up for this by getting a perfect shift from first into second. Its going to take some time, but there is a sweet spot to launching the car, and use m- mode and be sure to be in sport mode as well! Theres several factors that could be causing your car to fishtail such as the tires and temperature. But if all else is good, I blame you being in auto mode for this and also turn off traction control (sounds counterintuitive) but try it.

Its a lot of horsepower your trying to put down and wider tires couldn't hurt.

Its going take some practice, and like others have mentioned there is an "electronic" LSD in the car which I've heard is not very good in comparison to a mechanical LSD, which shouldn't affect straight line acceleration pulls anyways.

Every car is a little different and has its own sweet spot...figuring out where that is actually is the fun part.

Quick Reply: accelerating from deadstop