IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Metallic vibration noise on cold start with my JoeZ exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 06:15 PM
DocEyes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metallic vibration noise on cold start with my JoeZ exhaust

Hi everyone. Had my JoeZ exhaust installed at my first oil change at the dealership about a month ago. First off all, it's awesome My wife hated it at first but she's mellowed....thought my days of modding were over with the sale of the STi

Anyway, late last week I noticed on cold start in the morning I'm getting a metallic vibration noise. This is on gentle acceleration out of my subdivision. It disappears within a minute or less and doesn't re-occur until the next morning. Best way I can describe the sound is a cell phone set to vibrate sitting on an aluminum cookie sheet.

Any hints on what I can check that might be the culprit? I already checked to see if the muffler tips are hitting the exhaust diffusers but they're clearing and I can reach up around the canisters and fit my hand up around them so they're not touching that silver heat shield material.

Thanks for any advice.

Jason
Old 05-06-13, 06:39 PM
CarbonISF
Rookie

If it happens on idle during a cold start you really need to walk around the car and see if you can pin point the area it comes from. There are heat shields all along the exhaust that are easily bent. If it is a matter of something warming up and expanding, it could be a bolt or exhaust gasket.
Old 05-07-13, 03:35 AM
DocEyes
Rookie

Originally Posted by CarbonISF
If it happens on idle during a cold start you really need to walk around the car and see if you can pin point the area it comes from. There are heat shields all along the exhaust that are easily bent. If it is a matter of something warming up and expanding, it could be a bolt or exhaust gasket.
Thanks for the response. Doesn't seem to be present on idle, when just sitting. Just while driving. I'll try driving with all the windows down and see if I can ball park a location or have someone rev it while I walk around. Maybe a bolt has worked loose.
Old 05-07-13, 05:10 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's most likely hitting one of the many heat shields. Get under it and inspect it.
Old 05-07-13, 06:50 AM
PrezJay
Driver

Tommy at MusicBox who has installed countless Joe Z exhausts had to bend the heat shield boxed in red. Once you push it slightly out of the way, it should fix your problem.
Attached Thumbnails Metallic vibration noise on cold start with my JoeZ exhaust-img_1010.jpg  
Old 05-07-13, 09:50 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

^^ my borla was hitting the exact same thing. i just removed it.
Old 05-07-13, 10:07 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

My metallic noise on cold startup was further forward, the heat shield on the drivers side by the O2 sensor.
Old 05-07-13, 11:00 AM
DocEyes
Rookie

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll get it up on the floor jack and take a look. Of course after I posted this last night it didn't do it this morning!
Old 04-29-15, 09:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

started having this issue today after having the system installed very recently. It is a metallic rattle at low speed under mild load. Anyone know if simply bending the shields will do the trick or does the unit need to be realigned. 100% sure its install issue. Just need to get it sorted

Last edited by I8ABMR; 04-29-15 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-29-15, 11:57 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When installing a Borla Catback on my ISF, I noticed it was almost touching the heat shield in that picture.. I Just stuck a screw driver in between the shield and the exhaust pipe and bent the heat shield inwards a bit. Must have worked great because I have zero issues with fitment
Old 04-30-15, 09:30 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

cool thanks buddy. I am sure that its similar. I just want it fixed . I am loving the sound. My wife drove the car yesterday and was amazed at hoe badass it sounds
Old 05-01-15, 01:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Just wanted to update . My mid section I the joe z exhaust had the rear flanges like .5 mm from each other . With the resonance the vibration was causing them to barely touch . Took it to a race muffler shop and the ten welded the flanges together with a little spot weld and BOOM ... Vibration is gone . They said they were wondering why the system would have that gap like that rather than just making it all one piece . They said its also a common issue with dodge charger after market exhausts . A lot of resonance and tight tolerance can cause slight issues. I drove the crap out of the car yesterday and no noise . So happy . If this happened with mine it could help others to let the installed beware to watch for fitment in this area . I'm sure there is some variance in the systems
Attached Thumbnails Metallic vibration noise on cold start with my JoeZ exhaust-image-1167094993.png