IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 08:32 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a C63 the other day....didnt catch my attention at all. Wasn't even something to stare at either....maybe it was the color. The only reason I looked was because i know what it was
Old 11-04-09, 09:08 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

idk, for me it was a no brainer. the gas guzzler, high maintenance costs, and the look of the c63 were detractors that could not compete with the luxurious nature, reliable, and sporty craftsmanship of the IS F. ive never been drawn to mercedes. its simply for people who wanna prove they can throw away money. plus, at night, the tail lights of the c63 remind me of the 03 camry rears (not exactly, but similar enough)
Old 11-04-09, 09:34 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually attempted to purchase a C63...twice...before getting my F. They couldn't even get in the general ballpark for when I needed delivery, so I had to pass.

I think the F and the C63 are far closer than either are to the M3. Since the F and C63 are closer in price to each other than the BMW, it all comes down to a matter of personal preference.

They're all amazing cars with their own strengths and weaknesses. Drive them all and pick what fits your needs the closeset. There is no wrong answer in this segment.
Old 11-04-09, 10:58 PM
K3RRYB
Lead Lap

if your friend has the dough, doesn't mind the lack in quality and the drastic price difference (same options as the standard F), short and long term, I would get the C63 hands down.
it's more badass and everyone wants a more badass car

however, he will be happy with either car.
the IS-F is a smarter choice, quality + power + efficiency; can't go wrong

Last edited by K3RRYB; 11-04-09 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-04-09, 11:08 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

c63 is a bad *** car, but still a c-class. i feel like the quality of the c-class is WORLDS different than the s-class. at least the 3 series feels as good as the 7 series (optioned out).

all i remember was how nice the seats were, almost everything else looked like any other c-class. oh and how can i forget that engine, much torquier and deeper sounding than the F.
Old 11-05-09, 12:13 AM
jt808
Driver

Since I own both cars, perhaps I can provide some personal insight.

I decided to purchase my '08 F in Ultrasonic Blue since it WAS an exclusive color. It is very distinctive and have had quite a few people talk to me at the gas station, gym, etc. about the car. I average about 18-19 mpg with a heavy foot which is pretty darned good for a V8. The car is Lexus quiet and smooth or an absolute beast when you want it to be. The fit and finish of the car is also pretty darned good.

F Problems/Gripes:

1. Trust me, the resale value isn't that great...probably comparable to the C.
2. Wheel finish issues. Use the search.
3. Pre 2010 navigation sucks. The nav screen resolution is terrible.
4. Bluetooth interface is counter intuitive.
5. Numb steering/ Suspension can be unsettled at times.

I purchased my C63 in Arctic White about 4 months ago. The styling is definitely under the radar which isn't always bad. The power is awesome and trust me, the pulls way harder than the F in all gears. You can also get about 520 horsepower with a $1500 ecu tune. Steering is very sharp and the overall feel is a notch above the IS F. The handling of the car IMO inspires more confidence than in the F. The Command
Navigation/Communication system is also a notch above the F's in terms of being intuitive and feature content.

C63 Problems/Dislikes:

1. Terrible gas mileage...I average about 14-15 mpg.
2. Interior fit/finish is half a notch below the F (except for the steering wheel and seats).
3. Expensive maintenance.

Lexus owners will always flame it's competitors and the same goes with Benz/BMW/Audi owners. Both cars have their pro's and con's and I would suggest driving both before making a decision.
Old 11-05-09, 12:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by malujerry
c63 is a bad *** car, but still a c-class. i feel like the quality of the c-class is WORLDS different than the s-class. at least the 3 series feels as good as the 7 series (optioned out).

all i remember was how nice the seats were, almost everything else looked like any other c-class. oh and how can i forget that engine, much torquier and deeper sounding than the F.
not sure if i entirely agree with that one. i agree the isf interior is much better than isf, but isf is still on 2is platform, and i see quite a bit of difference in quality between it and the 4ls too
Old 11-05-09, 09:25 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDMToyotas
I saw a C63 the other day....didnt catch my attention at all. Wasn't even something to stare at either....maybe it was the color. The only reason I looked was because i know what it was
haha, same here, only thing that gives it away is the rear exhaust, and those front bumper side thingy. The car looked so NORMAL if you ask me. i nearly flew right by the car without even noticing, I had to look at the front bumper side thingy to confirm that it was the c63. lol
Old 11-05-09, 09:25 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

sigh...I had two friends that had C63's and they both traded it in for different cars...one got a used SL550 and the other got a used 09 M5...trade in on the cars were roughly 49-52k...
Old 11-05-09, 09:27 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jt808
Since I own both cars, perhaps I can provide some personal insight.

I decided to purchase my '08 F in Ultrasonic Blue since it WAS an exclusive color. It is very distinctive and have had quite a few people talk to me at the gas station, gym, etc. about the car. I average about 18-19 mpg with a heavy foot which is pretty darned good for a V8. The car is Lexus quiet and smooth or an absolute beast when you want it to be. The fit and finish of the car is also pretty darned good.

F Problems/Gripes:

1. Trust me, the resale value isn't that great...probably comparable to the C.
2. Wheel finish issues. Use the search.
3. Pre 2010 navigation sucks. The nav screen resolution is terrible.
4. Bluetooth interface is counter intuitive.
5. Numb steering/ Suspension can be unsettled at times.

I purchased my C63 in Arctic White about 4 months ago. The styling is definitely under the radar which isn't always bad. The power is awesome and trust me, the pulls way harder than the F in all gears. You can also get about 520 horsepower with a $1500 ecu tune. Steering is very sharp and the overall feel is a notch above the IS F. The handling of the car IMO inspires more confidence than in the F. The Command
Navigation/Communication system is also a notch above the F's in terms of being intuitive and feature content.

C63 Problems/Dislikes:

1. Terrible gas mileage...I average about 14-15 mpg.
2. Interior fit/finish is half a notch below the F (except for the steering wheel and seats).
3. Expensive maintenance.

Lexus owners will always flame it's competitors and the same goes with Benz/BMW/Audi owners. Both cars have their pro's and con's and I would suggest driving both before making a decision.
I dunno how you can say the Navi/Comm in the benz is better than the F..... Just not having a touchscreen and no back up camera is already enough to bring your $60k+ car back in the dinosaur age
Old 11-05-09, 09:47 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
I dunno how you can say the Navi/Comm in the benz is better than the F..... Just not having a touchscreen and no back up camera is already enough to bring your $60k+ car back in the dinosaur age
and the fact that the 2010 has a new navi allievates the problems anyway
Old 11-05-09, 10:34 AM
jt808
Driver

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
The touchscreen is nice at times...except for the fingerprints! I believe the '10 models now have a backup camera. I'm sure the newest gen nav unit in the 2is will be worlds better than the previous version.

sigh...I had two friends that had C63's and they both traded it in for different cars...one got a used SL550 and the other got a used 09 M5...trade in on the cars were roughly 49-52k...
I'd be jumping for joy if I was offered anywhere near that on my ISF on a trade in. Can you believe my Lexus dealership offered 30K for a trade? That really didn't inspire any confidence on purchasing another Lexus product.
Old 11-05-09, 10:44 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Why so much hate on the C63? It's all boiled down to personal preference, different folks = different strokes.

Happy motoring.

Last edited by jman-is350; 11-05-09 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-05-09, 01:24 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Here are some factors that deterred me away from a C63: Cost, reliability, interior quality, gas mileage. If these are not a concern, then go for it!

I don't think anyone mentioned this yet, but the F also has the superior transmission. I don't think that's debatable.

Originally Posted by jman-is350
Why so much hate on the C63? It's all boiled down to personal preference, different folks = different strokes.

Happy motoring.
I'm not seeing much hate at all. Try starting this thread on MB forums and see what happens.
Old 11-05-09, 01:42 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by someboy
has your friend ever considered a used m5?

A DD with a V10 and outdated SMGII tranny, no thanks!

to the OP, this issue/question has been discussed so many times here but the general consensus are these:

1) C63 AMG: VERY FAST, Great exhaust note, flamboyant body kit, however it does seat 5 but with a boring interior, lousy 10+ mpg, reliability issues and HORRIBLE resale value (a problem with ALL AMG cars)

2) e92 M3: Classy styling, fast track car, Interior is clean but not as nice as the Lexus and BMW reliability/service is hit or miss. I had great luck with my e46 m3 but it seems not all can claim this fact. Interior seats only 4 except in sedan form.

3) IS-F: Subtle low key styling, awesome reliability, great mpg considering the high performance v8, great interior, VIP Lexus Service department, better re-sale than above cars, awesome tranny. Tiny trunk and seats only 4 is some negatives plus no fold down back seat option.

Coming from a G35 my guess is he's best suited to the Lexus....a side note I had 3 buddies with C63 or e92 m3 and all three now drive the IS-F

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG