IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 04:40 AM
ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez...some of you get overly defensive when it comes down to these cars! lol. Not one of you have yet to say anything positive about the other cars. All I'm reading is...the IS F this, the IS F that. This is CL I know we have some unbiased members here right? I was merely stating my opinion (emphasis on opinion) on how I felt regarding the IS F. Obviously I am a big fan of the car so take it easy people. Regardless of the point(s) some of you have tried to make regarding the looks, I've always felt since day 1 that Lexus could have done a better job with the looks of the car. It took some getting used to with the bulge in the hood and the exhaust pipes to name a few. Believe me there are others of you that felt the same way whether you admit or not. Anyway, have fun and be safe driving! Whether you have a Lexus, BMW or Mercedes they're all fine cars!
Old 01-20-09, 05:16 AM
Ta250
Driver

Originally Posted by s4play
I can tell you must be under 30 still When you get older you will understand that putting others before yourself at some point is a normal thing to do. I was like you before but you will get there someday. Anyone who is married will agree with me....

My girl is a great gal and let's me have all the toys I want but planning for the future is something we all do at some stage since none of us can turn back the time. Anyways I already have plenty of manual tranny cars to play with

rk

I get what your saying but i'm married and I still wouldn't choose a car cause she couldn't drive it, I would just teach her how. I taught my wife, (then gf) how to drive in my evo 8 and she learned just fine.
Old 01-20-09, 07:51 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISF
Geez...some of you get overly defensive when it comes down to these cars! lol. Not one of you have yet to say anything positive about the other cars. All I'm reading is...the IS F this, the IS F that. This is CL I know we have some unbiased members here right? I was merely stating my opinion (emphasis on opinion) on how I felt regarding the IS F. Obviously I am a big fan of the car so take it easy people. Regardless of the point(s) some of you have tried to make regarding the looks, I've always felt since day 1 that Lexus could have done a better job with the looks of the car. It took some getting used to with the bulge in the hood and the exhaust pipes to name a few. Believe me there are others of you that felt the same way whether you admit or not. Anyway, have fun and be safe driving! Whether you have a Lexus, BMW or Mercedes they're all fine cars!
Hmmm....I didn't read anywhere in this thread where people were getting defensive? You stated something that was untrue and several people corrected you.

I also didn't read any of the owners stating that the IS F is better than any of the other cars? We all have reasons for purchasing our cars that suit our individual needs. I'm sure 99% of us looked hard at the M3, RS4 and, yes, the C63 AMG (I personally almost bought one, but there were delivery date issues). If you read a few more of the threads you'd see that most of the owners have a huge amount of respect for the Germans.

Of course you're going to get somewhat biased responses in here. It is Club Lexus and this is the IS F page. Have the conversation at one of the MB sites and watch the F get flamed and the C63 praised. Haven't seen anyone denouncing the Germans here?
Old 01-20-09, 09:39 AM
mondo540
Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Hmmm....I didn't read anywhere in this thread where people were getting defensive? You stated something that was untrue and several people corrected you.

I also didn't read any of the owners stating that the IS F is better than any of the other cars? We all have reasons for purchasing our cars that suit our individual needs. I'm sure 99% of us looked hard at the M3, RS4 and, yes, the C63 AMG (I personally almost bought one, but there were delivery date issues). If you read a few more of the threads you'd see that most of the owners have a huge amount of respect for the Germans.

Of course you're going to get somewhat biased responses in here. It is Club Lexus and this is the IS F page. Have the conversation at one of the MB sites and watch the F get flamed and the C63 praised. Haven't seen anyone denouncing the Germans here?

+1

M3 and c63 forums are worse about trashing the F...M3 guys esp...I like all 3 of them and can appreciate all cars...reason I bought an F was I wanted a 4 dr muscle car that I could drive everyday w/ a decent auto tranny, along with:

Quality/reliability
classy, quality understated interior
dealer network
decent mpg
good value proposition (at, 50-51K, wow)
had a dipstick - (I'm not kidding - look at an M3, it won't have one)

I am also tired of German engineers thinking they know best what we want and to hell with everyone else in the world...no way to check oil other than thru electronics (which can and do fail) or taking to a dealer, on a high perf. car is ridiculous...they also seem to beta test on their customer quite a bit...DCT tranny, oil coolers, etc.) And lastly, they feel we don't need cupholders anywhere so they put them on the passenger side glovebox area and they can hold maybe a dixie cup. Nice. No thanks. And I'm a former BMW owner...
Old 01-20-09, 10:36 AM
ISF FAN
Pole Position

All four car types are great in it's own way. I went with the F after reviewing the C and M for the following reasons -
- Dealer mark up on C and M were out of sight crazy. It was not worth that much money.
- Lexus (Toyota) is a much more mechanically reliable car requiring less fix it services and routine services are less expensive (less surprises).
- The F power is more than enough for the stop and go traffic of LA.
- This is the first F to roll out of Lexus, good to be on ground floor.

But when you boil it down, much of the purchases are done on brand loyalty, and perhaps Dealership loyalty.
Old 01-20-09, 11:42 AM
ISF
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

I stated something untrue and was corrected? Please share where you got this from? I stated my opinion in which most of you disagreed. How about that? Again for the slow people. I was simply expressing my opinion about the IS F much like you have done in regards to the C63 and the M3. All the talk about which car is better is subjective to ones taste and preference for a number of reasons. Please understand the difference between fact and opinion. Oh by the way, the IS F hardly ever comes up in discussions on the mb forum and when they do, I find myself defending the F because there's always a few bone heads that think the world of German cars but by no means do all Mercedes owners feel this way. Quite frankly the F is well respected more than you know. I can't say the same about the BMW forums. BMW owners from what I've read and heard are probably the most...uumm how should I say this...spoiled brats! No pun intended for any BMW owner reading this. For many years the M3 has been arguably the benchmark for high performance cars in its class and that is changing quickly! I would love to see an IS F vs the C63 driven by professionals to get their take on the two (I'm sure there's a video out already). All things considered I don't think the F would get a fair rating because most mags are soooo biased and lean toward the German engine and I see this over and over again. I was so hoping that lexus could have squeezed a bit more out of the F and lowered the price a bit..say around 52k when they first came out would have really made a statement in my opinion. Anyway...I'm done with this ...lol...I'll let Mr. Rockies flame on.
Old 01-20-09, 11:45 AM
ISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISF FAN
All four car types are great in it's own way. I went with the F after reviewing the C and M for the following reasons -
- Dealer mark up on C and M were out of sight crazy. It was not worth that much money.
- Lexus (Toyota) is a much more mechanically reliable car requiring less fix it services and routine services are less expensive (less surprises).
- The F power is more than enough for the stop and go traffic of LA.
- This is the first F to roll out of Lexus, good to be on ground floor.

But when you boil it down, much of the purchases are done on brand loyalty, and perhaps Dealership loyalty.
Point well taken
Old 01-20-09, 01:35 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate stereotypes and most BMW owners I know are NOT like what you guys state. I'm an ex m3 owner and I can tell you it may not be the BEST car to hold resale value (Lexus wins here), best exhaust note (c63 wins) or snow bound (RS4 wins) etc but on the track it's the BEST machine period. Many of my AMG buddies even acknowledge this and Lexus still has a long way to go to catch the M3 in performance on a track - the old e46 m3 can easily hold it's own against the IS-F. Compare the new M3 to the IS-F and it's game over, no comparo ~ ON THE TRACK!

Of course like the Walgreens commercial, we live in the real world and we all have DIFFERENT criteria for a sports sedan. I think for me, the best choice is either the IS-F or the RS4.

The days of crazy mark-ups and OVER MSRP is over in this economy so it's a level playing field now. I was just at the Mercedes dealer and they had a stupid $4995 market price adjustment. The sales guy quickly pointed out to disregard it...hahaha

rk
Old 01-20-09, 01:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

guys, let's back on topics, other discussions can go to pm. but to answer ISF question, being defensive about is-f wouldn't make any sense to me when i own one of the other cars. i just try to state the facts anyway
Old 01-20-09, 06:08 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISF
I'd rather roll with the IS 350 for what the ISF offers and that's a bigger engine...nothing else really separates it from the IS 350.
Originally Posted by ISF
I stated something untrue and was corrected? Please share where you got this from? I stated my opinion in which most of you disagreed. How about that? Again for the slow people. I was simply expressing my opinion about the IS F much like you have done in regards to the C63 and the M3. All the talk about which car is better is subjective to ones taste and preference for a number of reasons. Please understand the difference between fact and opinion. Oh by the way, the IS F hardly ever comes up in discussions on the mb forum and when they do, I find myself defending the F because there's always a few bone heads that think the world of German cars but by no means do all Mercedes owners feel this way. Quite frankly the F is well respected more than you know. I can't say the same about the BMW forums. BMW owners from what I've read and heard are probably the most...uumm how should I say this...spoiled brats! No pun intended for any BMW owner reading this. For many years the M3 has been arguably the benchmark for high performance cars in its class and that is changing quickly! I would love to see an IS F vs the C63 driven by professionals to get their take on the two (I'm sure there's a video out already). All things considered I don't think the F would get a fair rating because most mags are soooo biased and lean toward the German engine and I see this over and over again. I was so hoping that lexus could have squeezed a bit more out of the F and lowered the price a bit..say around 52k when they first came out would have really made a statement in my opinion. Anyway...I'm done with this ...lol...I'll let Mr. Rockies flame on.
Since you obviously forgot what you originally posted, I have shown it to you again. The statement that nothing really separates the IS F from the IS350 except the bigger engine is not an opinion, it is factually untrue.

A comment like you later made, that they appear similar in looks is an opinion, but not what your original post stated.

I would agree that the MB forum I frequent is much more respectful than m3post, but if you started a similar thread on the MB forum pitting the F against the 63 you would get lots of flaming. Try a search of the IS F and sort by relevance, you’ll see what I am talking about.

I am not going to comment on what goes on at m3post, but there is a reason I refuse to join it. I mainly go there for pure entertainment.

Where in any of my responses did I flame anyone? Having a fallacy pointed out is not flaming.
Old 01-20-09, 06:48 PM
SebringAG
Driver School Candidate

I thought the whole point was to keep the sports version (M, AMG, RS, or F) looking quite close to their more basic models. It's part of the marketing strategy, isn't it? You build a high-performance version because there really is a market for it, but you also do it because it helps you sell even more of the basic models.

Old 01-20-09, 06:56 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by SebringAG
I thought the whole point was to keep the sports version (M, AMG, RS, or F) looking quite close to their more basic models. It's part of the marketing strategy, isn't it? You build a high-performance version because there really is a market for it, but you also do it because it helps you sell even more of the basic models.

+1 - Me Two. Just make it look more muscular than the more mundane versions. IMHO, Lexus has done this in spades.

Lou
Old 01-20-09, 06:59 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
+1 - Me Two. Just make it look more muscular than the more mundane versions. IMHO, Lexus has done this in spades.

Lou
+1 Agreed

I actually think all four companies did a great job of maintaining a similar profile to the popular cars that they are based off of.
Old 01-20-09, 07:05 PM
SebringAG
Driver School Candidate

This is kind of off-topic, I guess, but every time I come across an IS-F on the road (when I'm driving the AMG), it seems to want to get away from me as fast as possible. It's not like I'm doing anything to goad him into racing. I'm not even alongside of him. I just want to get a closer look at it, but for some reason, the driver inevitably wants to leave me in his dust.

Did I not shower or something? What's up with that?
Old 01-20-09, 07:07 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

This is kind of off-topic, I guess, but every time I come across an IS-F on the road (when I'm driving the AMG), it seems to want to get away from me as fast as possible. It's not like I'm doing anything to goad him into racing. I'm not even alongside of him. I just want to get a closer look at it, but for some reason, the driver inevitably wants to leave me in his dust.

Did I not shower or something? What's up with that?
Perhaps it's fear.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG