Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like 1sick said coming onto a lexus forum your going to get lexus votes
Old 01-16-09, 06:23 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I will say you will get better responses here from people that can maturely point the pros and cons of both, instead of reading things on other forums like "The IS-F sucks, its rice" or "Lexus can't make good cars, they are boring".
Good luck
So true! In fact let me sum up all the comments regarding the F for you so that you don't have to visit other forums:
  1. "It's just a glorified Camry"
  2. "It looks like a beluga whale"
  3. "It has too many gears"
  4. "F stands for fail"
  5. "It's a slushbox"
  6. "The tips are fake"
  7. "The tips are ricey"
  8. "The tips are not connected"
  9. "The tips are tacky"
  10. "The tips are [Insert random negative adjective]"

LOL

In all seriousness, I'm not sure why people think that the C63 is any faster than the F. It's so close that it's hard to call. Straight line is about the same. Track results have varied.

We all chose the F here because it obviously suits our needs and tastes. For me, the poor gas mileage (Gas guzzler tax) and sketchy reliability on the MB were not acceptable. IMO, the F also has a superior interior. Regardless, I think the general idea is to go with the car that appeals to you most.
Old 01-16-09, 07:08 PM
SebringAG
Driver School Candidate

Does it really matter what other people say about the car you bought? You folks here seem mature enough not to be affected by those sorts of taunts. I'm pretty sure you can say anything negative you want about the C63 and it wouldn't bother most C63 owners (well, it wouldn't bother me anyway), because you probably haven't lived with the car to really know its positive or negative attributes, just the same as most owners of other cars who dare deride the IS-F probably aren't speaking from experience either.

At the end of the day, comments and opinions that are based on hearsay are often wrong, or at the very least, misinformed.

I'm trying to do my own due diligence on the IS-F before committing to buying one as a replacement for a car that's served me very well, but is now starting to show its age a little bit.

If anything, the IS-F's only shortcoming that I can see so far is the fact that it's made by Lexus, which doesn't have much of a racing pedigree to give it that extra bit of status that normally comes from having a strong history of success in motorsports (a la Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc.).

Objectively speaking, the car is mighty impressive.

Originally Posted by primecut
So true! In fact let me sum up all the comments regarding the F for you so that you don't have to visit other forums:
  1. "It's just a glorified Camry"
  2. "It looks like a beluga whale"
  3. "It has too many gears"
  4. "F stands for fail"
  5. "It's a slushbox"
  6. "The tips are fake"
  7. "The tips are ricey"
  8. "The tips are not connected"
  9. "The tips are tacky"
  10. "The tips are [Insert random negative adjective]"

LOL

In all seriousness, I'm not sure why people think that the C63 is any faster than the F. It's so close that it's hard to call. Straight line is about the same. Track results have varied.

We all chose the F here because it obviously suits our needs and tastes. For me, the poor gas mileage (Gas guzzler tax) and sketchy reliability on the MB were not acceptable. IMO, the F also has a superior interior. Regardless, I think the general idea is to go with the car that appeals to you most.

Last edited by SebringAG; 01-16-09 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-16-09, 07:12 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sebring, if you end up getting one, you certainly will have the loudest garage on the block.

While I love the growl of the F when it cracks 3800 rpm, the C63 makes a sound that just screams monster!
Old 01-16-09, 07:24 PM
SebringAG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Sebring, if you end up getting one, you certainly will have the loudest garage on the block.

While I love the growl of the F when it cracks 3800 rpm, the C63 makes a sound that just screams monster!
LOL

Yeah, that would certainly help wake up the neighbours.

It's interesting how people in general tend to know better what they don't want, rather than what they do want. I know for sure which cars I won't consider as replacement candidates for the S4, but it's kind of hard to pinpoint which is the best car to supplant the Audi.

Oh well, car shopping should be an enjoyable experience, and I'm just going to take my time about it.
Old 01-17-09, 09:15 AM
LexFather

Great comments everyone.

Originally Posted by SebringAG
LOL

Yeah, that would certainly help wake up the neighbours.

It's interesting how people in general tend to know better what they don't want, rather than what they do want. I know for sure which cars I won't consider as replacement candidates for the S4, but it's kind of hard to pinpoint which is the best car to supplant the Audi.

Oh well, car shopping should be an enjoyable experience, and I'm just going to take my time about it.
lol at the loudest garage!

Thats b/c SebringAG, even with all these comparos, videos and test-drives MOST people already KNOW what car they want, especially high performance cars. Its the exception to have the other car win the "favored" car over. Usually this exception is b/c of a "deal" that cannot be passed.

BMW knows as soon as the M3 is launched, its going to sell to people who want the M3 and nothing else. They are the standard so they have that luxury more than the competition.
Audi knew Audi fans wanted the wonderful RS4.
Benz knows AMG owners want AMG cars.
Lexus took the biggest risk since they have the least heritage/racing history/ and have the blandest image. Yukihiko Yaguchi really put his nuts out there to convince the usual staid Lexus execs that this would sell to people that want a higher performance Lexus.

Lets be honest here. Its hard to see true differences with a 5 minute test drive.

What is amazing is even though these are high performance vehicles and "breakdowns" should be expected, there seems to be many previous German owners who got the IS-F b/c it provides most of the thrills with quality/reliability.

Funny that quality/reliability is a selling point NOW in this segment since the IS-F is here!
Old 01-17-09, 09:57 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Welcome to Clublexus, I agree with what all of them has to say because I feel like that it is truely a personal choice and you will have to drive it to know what you like better.....
Old 01-17-09, 10:47 PM
SebringAG
Driver School Candidate

Too bad I don't know anyone personally who owns an IS-F here in Vancouver. The only person I know of who has one is here on Club Lexus and he wasn't available to come out today, otherwise I would have had an opportunity to study the car up close and personal.

We had a sports car meet in Vancouver today. Here are a few pics.

Old 01-18-09, 08:34 AM
LexFather

Too bad I don't know anyone personally who owns an IS-F here in Vancouver. The only person I know of who has one is here on Club Lexus and he wasn't available to come out today, otherwise I would have had an opportunity to study the car up close and personal.

We had a sports car meet in Vancouver today. Here are a few pics.

That meet is full of win!!
Old 01-18-09, 09:23 AM
SebringAG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That meet is full of win!!
It's a great way to learn about the attributes of other performance cars and to see what they are like in real world situations. Hopefully, an IS-F will grace our next event.

Old 01-18-09, 09:35 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

That meet looks like fun! Any more pics or vids?!
Old 01-18-09, 04:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's a very wide variety of cars!
Old 01-18-09, 07:33 PM
SebringAG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
That meet looks like fun! Any more pics or vids?!
I don't want to spam the board with tons of non-IS-F-related pics, so here's where most of the photos of the event reside: http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c63-am...c-meet-10.html
Old 01-18-09, 07:34 PM
SebringAG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
that's a very wide variety of cars!
Yes, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why not a single person in that entire group knows anyone with an IS-F. When the question came up as to why no one invited a friend with an IS-F, all we got was blank stares across the board.
Old 01-18-09, 08:01 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't want to spam the board with tons of non-IS-F-related pics, so here's where most of the photos of the event reside: http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c63-am...c-meet-10.html
Thanks for the link! Looks like some serious fun!

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG