Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS F
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-08, 10:22 PM   #16
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey
Trader Score: (4)
 
CrazyMPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 3,267
Default

my friend has a C63amg...its a little more rougher than the IS-F in daily driving...so a stiffer...heh...
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________
I am Phat Monkey and I approve this post.
'14 Lexus GS350 F-Sport Obsidian Wald Kit 306hp/277tq
'14 Toyota Prius V Pkg Five Blizzard Pearl 134hp/105tq
'12 Lexus LFA Whitest White #475 552hp/354tq
'11 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4 Magnetic Grey 504hp/550tq
'72 Datsun 240z Orange Stock 151hp/145tq
'71 Nissan Skyline 2000GT Silver L28 Triple Mikuni Carb 220hp/180tq
CrazyMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-08, 10:41 PM   #17
isbeater
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: AB
Posts: 106
Default

All i have to say is 3k for the renntech 548hp upgrade.... AMG FTW lol

I'd have taken the C63 if it was out
isbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-08, 11:07 PM   #18
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Trader Score: (2)
 
lobuxracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 13,762
Send a message via Skype™ to lobuxracer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isbeater View Post
All i have to say is 3k for the renntech 548hp upgrade.... AMG FTW lol

I'd have taken the C63 if it was out
I was thinking the same thing until I saw real world results at 12 mpg for the C63. Definitely not making me excited at all about the efficiency of this engine/car combination.
__________________

'08 USE20L−FEZRHA Obsidian
'93 JZA80L-ALFVZA Alpine Silver

Most performance mods need a watch and timed course to demonstrate actual improvement. Few deliver the advertised claims. Many are actually worse than stock. The best performance mods are made to the driver.

Emotional arguments - They're not just for chicks anymore.
lobuxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-08, 11:12 PM   #19
juice14
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ga
Posts: 2,306
Default

im just gonna say that my friend got a C55 AMG in march and is selling it because all the problems. taken it to the dealership 7 times now. Im not sure if I will ever get an AMG if there i a F available.
if you dont care about reliability, then the C63 is the way to go, more powerful, mean, and you can upgrade it to be as fast as any super car.
but again MPG, reliability, comfort, lexus has the complete package.

its a hard decision man, I say you cant go wrong with either one.

Oh i forgot to say that my friends has had this C55 amg only for 5 months
__________________

IS350: Intake, Midpipe, Axle-back exhaust, 19" wheels, Coilovers, Sway Bars, Headers coming soon, 5% Tint all around

Last edited by juice14; 10-27-08 at 12:06 AM..
juice14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-08, 11:37 PM   #20
RyanQ
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MN
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isbeater View Post
All i have to say is 3k for the renntech 548hp upgrade.... AMG FTW lol

I'd have taken the C63 if it was out
still think of the same thing but 3k from fully load to base model + 100hp + 2100(gaz guzzle tax) + higher insurance = ISF FTW

Don't correct me since all these are from research, no actual exp yet.
RyanQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 04:43 PM   #21
dkaplan435
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 925
Default

5 mpg is what TopGear saw with hard driving (on the Benz of course) ...
__________________
David
--

'08 Obsidian IS-F. 0-60 @ 4.45, 1/4 @ 12.93

Previous: 2006 Lexus IS350, 1999 M3 Convertible, 1987 635 CSI
dkaplan435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 05:04 PM   #22
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,057
Default

I too, came down to deciding between the IS F and the C63. Part of the issue was availablity, the other was that we were very dissappointed with the MB interior. My wife's comment was that it actually looked cheap. We already have an RX that we are very happy with...so when you add in Lexus' reliability and service AND better gas mileage AND lower insurance AND $8K cheaper price tag (in Canada) the decision was a fairly easy one (although the huge hp and torque kept calling...lol).

Good luck with your decision, it isn't an easy one as they're both great cars
__________________


2011 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
2010 X5 35d Space Grey


2008 ISF SGM (Gone but never forgotten!)
2005 RX330 Flint Mica (Gone but not forgotten!)
CDNROCKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 06:07 PM   #23
bsteven43
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: OH
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES View Post
I too, came down to deciding between the IS F and the C63. Part of the issue was availablity, the other was that we were very dissappointed with the MB interior. My wife's comment was that it actually looked cheap. We already have an RX that we are very happy with...so when you add in Lexus' reliability and service AND better gas mileage AND lower insurance AND $8K cheaper price tag (in Canada) the decision was a fairly easy one (although the huge hp and torque kept calling...lol).

Good luck with your decision, it isn't an easy one as they're both great cars
Canadian - thanks for the comments. I tend to agree that the IS-F interior is a little nicer than the MB although I was happy inside the MB too. My nagging question with the IS-F is around its suitability as a daily driver. My wife has a minivan so we've got the family thing covered but I still want something I can be comfortable in with guests (at times) along - day in day out. I'm afraid its the kind of car that once the novelty of the wicked performance wears off, it might get kind of old. No regrets?
bsteven43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 07:31 PM   #24
isbeater
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: AB
Posts: 106
Default

Well you can't have it all... realistically all manuf (M3, C63, ISF) all have their own pros...

You need to choose what's most important to you. The reliability of the C63 is pretty good so far from what I read. Realistically, in my opinion, if you buy any of these cars and worry about the price of gas, then you can't really afford the car and should pick an IS350 or something of that nature.
isbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 07:59 PM   #25
trdsolara
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 16
Default

The renntech upgrade is not 3k. That is just for ecu1 which bumps the car to 476hp. To get to the 550 hp level you need the renntech headers and exhaust and the ecu2. You will spend close to 10k for all those upgrades. I would get an IS-F or I dont know if you looked at it but the new cts-v is coming out next month at 59,999.
trdsolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 09:04 PM   #26
isbeater
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: AB
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdsolara View Post
The renntech upgrade is not 3k. That is just for ecu1 which bumps the car to 476hp. To get to the 550 hp level you need the renntech headers and exhaust and the ecu2. You will spend close to 10k for all those upgrades. I would get an IS-F or I dont know if you looked at it but the new cts-v is coming out next month at 59,999.
I believe the 10K includes brakes and suspension.

CTS-V sounds super good on paper, but I always hated how lethargic domestic engines are... I'm sure the LS-7 won't dissapoint.
isbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 09:18 PM   #27
trdsolara
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 16
Default

The cts-v runs with the LSA engine which is supercharged and very similar to the zr-1 engine and makes 556 hp. Tough call now with that car coming out at its price point. I think its great that we are having to debate about so many great cars that are on the market right now.
trdsolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 10:55 PM   #28
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,057
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsteven43 View Post
Canadian - thanks for the comments. I tend to agree that the IS-F interior is a little nicer than the MB although I was happy inside the MB too. My nagging question with the IS-F is around its suitability as a daily driver. My wife has a minivan so we've got the family thing covered but I still want something I can be comfortable in with guests (at times) along - day in day out. I'm afraid its the kind of car that once the novelty of the wicked performance wears off, it might get kind of old. No regrets?
The daily driver issue was our main concern as well. We also have an RX which covers most of our space and comfort needs, but the IS F is also a very civilized drive if you're not pushing it. Granted, we've only had ours a couple of months but BOTH the wife and I are happy cruising around at normal speeds in traffic or on the highway. We really do believe that it offers the best of both worlds: a performance beast on one side AND a luxurious, comfortable daily driver on the other.

Should mention that there are only 2 seats in the back as opposed to 3, so depends on how many "guests" you're looking to transport.

Zero regrets
__________________


2011 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
2010 X5 35d Space Grey


2008 ISF SGM (Gone but never forgotten!)
2005 RX330 Flint Mica (Gone but not forgotten!)
CDNROCKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 11:18 PM   #29
sst760
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California
Posts: 21
Send a message via AIM to sst760 Send a message via Yahoo to sst760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice14 View Post
im just gonna say that my friend got a C55 AMG in march and is selling it because all the problems. taken it to the dealership 7 times now. Im not sure if I will ever get an AMG if there i a F available.
if you dont care about reliability, then the C63 is the way to go, more powerful, mean, and you can upgrade it to be as fast as any super car.
but again MPG, reliability, comfort, lexus has the complete package.

its a hard decision man, I say you cant go wrong with either one.

Oh i forgot to say that my friends has had this C55 amg only for 5 months
What he said...I dont trust german cars. My E46 M3 was starting to break down as well. IS-F all the way
__________________
2003 E46 Steel Grey M3:not stock (SOLD) thank god
2000 Berlina balck NSX: HRE's brembos blah blah
1994 Toyota Supra: BPU+++ HRE's(SOLD)
sst760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 11:32 PM   #30
primecut
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 1,474
Default

Yea I'm sure most IS-F owners probably considered the C63 at one point or another. Like everyone said, it really depends on which car appeals to you. The problem with the Merc for me was the 12MPG. Even though the IS-F is primarily my weekend car, gas mileage is still a factor to me, and the thought of gulping down that much gas is unacceptable. The other problem is taking a risk with reliability. I know some people have had good experiences with their Merc, but with a Lexus you know it's going to be rock solid, which gives me the peace of mind. Also, when comparably equipped, the C63 is significantly more expensive. Lastly, C63 is only offered in really tame colors. I personally like bright colors, so the Ultrasonic Blue was a huge draw.

Hope this helps! Post pics of the IS-F when you get it
__________________

^ Sold, but not forgotten...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fapout View Post
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
primecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 11:32 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In the market for a used IS-F. seven0622 IS F 17 02-11-14 06:40 AM
IS-F Seats Ojciec IS F 9 08-16-12 06:31 PM
New (to me) IS-F RCM83 IS F 27 06-09-12 12:24 PM
Why Is The IS-F So Expensive?! SaintNexus Car Chat 20 11-08-11 10:51 AM
Went to Skip Barber School and drove IS-F big time! huksa IS F 13 08-03-10 09:53 AM


Tags
amg, back, backup, bad, beam, beat, beating, bmw, brake, buy, c55, c63, camera, car, cons, continental, drivers, dw, e55, extremecontact, f, forum, gas, isf, lassen, lexus, lexys, m5, mileage, mpg, nj, p30, problems, pros, purchase, real, rear, reliability, reliable, seat, service, side, skirts, sl550, sound, space, sucks, trade, vs, world

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:57 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info