IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-09, 02:39 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jt808
The touchscreen is nice at times...except for the fingerprints! I believe the '10 models now have a backup camera. I'm sure the newest gen nav unit in the 2is will be worlds better than the previous version.

I'd be jumping for joy if I was offered anywhere near that on my ISF on a trade in. Can you believe my Lexus dealership offered 30K for a trade? That really didn't inspire any confidence on purchasing another Lexus product.
Your lexus dealer is trying to rape you on the trade in. I know the trade in for the F is not that great, its low but not 30k low...... High 30s to low 40s is the going rate, depending on mileage and condition. and Im pretty sure you can get mid to high 40s if you private sell the F....
Old 11-05-09, 02:55 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jman-is350
Why so much hate on the C63? It's all boiled down to personal preference, different folks = different strokes.

Happy motoring.
haha, nobody hatin, I personally like the C63 more than the F, mainly cause the C63 in my opinion, is more a show off car, thats why we all spend top dollars on high end car right? I didnt buy a $60k car to go buy milk at ShopRite I agree that the C63 is a more badass car like a few fellow members say on this forum. I wanted a C63 and would have picked one up if it was the same price as a F. I've been in this car biz for many years and its not like what it use to be, Nothing is worth money unless its in high high demand nowadays, Look at the Infiniti G35, I swear they were the hottest thing out there when it first came out, so was the evo back in 03 but you know what? theres still brand new 08 evo as we speak right now. So the IsF is not any better for trade in value if you ask me. especially since there are still new 08s floating around here and there. yeah, reliability is an issue with some Mercedes, but I really dont think there are that many problems with their AMG cars, at least not like their regular line ups... And even if theres a problem, theres always warranty and Mercedes offer some nice loaner cars for the most part. lol Shhiiiet,, I dunno about you, but im Asian and in most traditional Asian's mind, the benzo is like the godfather of all cars, its like an Icon and a must-have car once in your lifetime....
Old 11-05-09, 04:25 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

I Really like the C63. I just dont like MB due to previous experiences. Both the isf and C63 are cool cars. At the end of the day i chose the ISF but i still have love for the C63. You cant really go wrong with either car. Well unless the MB is just a lemon and its broken down all the time. Other than that it comes down to personal preference. If you have driven both cars and dont know which you want then drive a Cts-V.

Isf,M3,C63,cts-v... you wont fine many people here telling you that you made the wrong choice.
Old 11-05-09, 05:07 PM
Exeenom
Driver School Candidate

The C63 is definitely more expensive to purchase and to maintain, but the performance of that car will make you forget some of that I own an E63 and have driven the C63 multiple times, and let me tell you.... the car is an absolute blast to drive. It is definitely a strong performer.

The IS-F shines in it's reliability and low maintenance while still having decent performance. And although it's not on par with the C63 in terms of performance, it is still an incredibly fun car to drive.

You should have him drive both cars back to back and decide...
Old 11-05-09, 11:42 PM
LexFather

I love the C63, sounds great, looks great.
The IS-F beat the C63 on the EVO test track FYI.....
Old 11-06-09, 10:13 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh I'd like to add, I'm not hating on the C63 either, I love that car for it's merits and by far this AMG car has the BEST MOST SUPPORTIVE front seats for any production car!

It defintely makes you feel special up front but the lack of alcantara and boring rear seats makes the people out back feel left out on the C63.

In this economy no car is immune from low resale value so I take back my comment about AMG resale value. All cars sold at trade-in time will lose a lot of money unless you own a Prius or Camry/Accord. Those cars REALLY HOLD value strong no kidding!

rick
Old 11-07-09, 02:48 AM
jt808
Driver

For those of you who haven't seen this video...not that all of us track our cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clAR90E5cVI
Old 11-07-09, 02:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

haha very interesting video, awesome. i think it's pretty good. it shows how heavy the c63 is (likely front heavy) and it's working so hard on turns. but straight away speed is just insane. on the other hand m3 is really balance and every turn it was catching up
Old 11-07-09, 10:56 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the local MB dealer again today looking at the E and GL class, and jokingly (sort of ) tried to convince the wife that the C63 would be a good idea.

It was Mars Red and quite nice to look at. Obviously, looks are subjective. While the seats hugged a little better than the F seats, I find the Lexus seats to be more comfortable.

Overall, I found the interior to be quite disappointing....like I did the first go round.

I love the sound of the C63 and the numbers it puts down.....but I'm so happy that I ended up in the F.

As much as it may seem in some of my posts that I'd prefer the C63.....I'd pick the F again all day, every day.
Old 11-08-09, 08:19 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Buying a Mercedes is more of an admission of a mental blowup
That said, I want a SL black series when they get about 50% cheaper, maybe CLK BS -- I do not think the C63 is the AMG to get if one is to get an AMG, there are lots more above it ie: W211 E55, or even more seriously a SL55. Honestly someone also needs to bring up the point how BAD Mercedes dealers are, at least BMW has free maint.

Last edited by vraa; 11-08-09 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-08-09, 09:08 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vraa
Buying a Mercedes is more of an admission of a mental blowup
That said, I want a SL black series when they get about 50% cheaper, maybe CLK BS -- I do not think the C63 is the AMG to get if one is to get an AMG, there are lots more above it ie: W211 E55, or even more seriously a SL55. Honestly someone also needs to bring up the point how BAD Mercedes dealers are, at least BMW has free maint.
I don't know about other dealerships, but the one we deal with has been a great experience.

The Lexus dealer right next door was a disaster to deal with(management....not the sales guys or our service advisors) and the reason we ended up with MB for our next SUV's.
Old 11-09-09, 03:25 PM
Jonsleeper
Rookie

Originally Posted by jt808
Since I own both cars, perhaps I can provide some personal insight.

I decided to purchase my '08 F in Ultrasonic Blue since it WAS an exclusive color. It is very distinctive and have had quite a few people talk to me at the gas station, gym, etc. about the car. I average about 18-19 mpg with a heavy foot which is pretty darned good for a V8. The car is Lexus quiet and smooth or an absolute beast when you want it to be. The fit and finish of the car is also pretty darned good.

F Problems/Gripes:

1. Trust me, the resale value isn't that great...probably comparable to the C.
2. Wheel finish issues. Use the search.
3. Pre 2010 navigation sucks. The nav screen resolution is terrible.
4. Bluetooth interface is counter intuitive.
5. Numb steering/ Suspension can be unsettled at times.

I purchased my C63 in Arctic White about 4 months ago. The styling is definitely under the radar which isn't always bad. The power is awesome and trust me, the pulls way harder than the F in all gears. You can also get about 520 horsepower with a $1500 ecu tune. Steering is very sharp and the overall feel is a notch above the IS F. The handling of the car IMO inspires more confidence than in the F. The Command
Navigation/Communication system is also a notch above the F's in terms of being intuitive and feature content.

C63 Problems/Dislikes:

1. Terrible gas mileage...I average about 14-15 mpg.
2. Interior fit/finish is half a notch below the F (except for the steering wheel and seats).
3. Expensive maintenance.

Lexus owners will always flame it's competitors and the same goes with Benz/BMW/Audi owners. Both cars have their pro's and con's and I would suggest driving both before making a decision.
I'm also considering the ISF or C63. The ISF front brake pads on tirerack are $250! Just the fronts! So the Lexus is also expensive to maintain. My Clk55 AMG- Hawk front brake pads cost only $100,cheaper then OEM.
Old 11-09-09, 03:55 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I personally......might take a M3 coupe.....but that is just me.
Old 11-09-09, 04:14 PM
Jonsleeper
Rookie

Originally Posted by kyang91
The new V8 M3 has no torque. VANOS-FAIL!
Old 11-09-09, 05:00 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kyang91
If two doors is an option the GT R would trump the M3 coupe....but that's just me.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG