IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

finally got headers/joe z exhaust done.. now i'm paranoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 10:40 AM
tybg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally got headers/joe z exhaust done.. now i'm paranoid

my excitement however unfortunately did not last very long, after digging up tons of old threads regarding installation issues, especially with the sikky headers. the mechanic i went to is definitely one of the more reputable places around but they have never worked on an IS F before and i'm concerned they didn't take the necessary precautions to prevent future problems. (i definitely didn't give them any pointers that would help them out so they were basically on their own)

i can't live like this lol and plan on shelling out some more money to take the car to a DIFFERENT place, just to have them go through everything and make sure there are no issues. could someone with some experience with sikky headers / joe z exhaust and intake please maybe give me a short list of things for me to tell the mechanic to check / redo. one thing i've read is to use both the sikky and oem gaskets, any other installation tips?

thank you so much, sincerely one extremely OCD is-f owner
Old 04-17-13, 10:49 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Where are you located?

The person doing the job should already know what needs to be done before he even removes a bolt. The installation process for both are fairly straight forward and dont require much headache to knockout in a timely manner. I would just remind him not to break the o2 sensors, and to make sure that fitment isnt going to be an issue down the line. Let him know that you expect this to be the only time the headers and exhaust will require any form of installation or adjustment.
Old 04-17-13, 10:52 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

i have the exactly set up and and i'm loving every moment of it, there's no issue if the installer does his job right, make sure the simulator is wired correctly and double up on the oem gaskets + gaskets that come with after market header=make sure to tighten a bit more after some test run. Lift up and check make sure there's no leaking any oil from the dipstick. I used OEM dipstick since Sikky is notorious for that whacky dipstick lolz. Hummnn , oh use white marker to marked where is the steering shaft is original. Also spray on WD40 on those o2 sensors to loosen and gently but slowly loosen them with out damage it=take the headers out of the car and then taking 02 sensors out . Should be around 3 to 4 hrs job done right. Now go out and enjoy the beast mode lolz
Old 04-17-13, 10:54 AM
tybg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Where are you located?

The person doing the job should already know what needs to be done before he even removes a bolt. The installation process for both are fairly straight forward and dont require much headache to knockout in a timely manner. I would just remind him not to break the o2 sensors, and to make sure that fitment isnt going to be an issue down the line. Let him know that you expect this to be the only time the headers and exhaust will require any form of installation or adjustment.
i'm in tampa, florida. i asked them about the 02 sensors and of course they weren't able to remove them without breaking them. thankfully i was prepared and had replacements.

i originally felt the same way, not expecting many issues but there are tons of threads picking at the quality of the sikky headers / gaskets / bolts / screws and now i can't stop thinking about it
Old 04-17-13, 11:00 AM
tybg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blitz_714
i have the exactly set up and and i'm loving every moment of it, there's no issue if the installer does his job right, make sure the simulator is wired correctly and double up on the oem gaskets + gaskets that come with after market header=make sure to tighten a bit more after some test run. Lift up and check make sure there's no leaking any oil from the dipstick. I used OEM dipstick since Sikky is notorious for that whacky dipstick lolz. Hummnn , oh use white marker to marked where is the steering shaft is original. Also spray on WD40 on those o2 sensors to loosen and gently but slowly loosen them with out damage it=take the headers out of the car and then taking 02 sensors out . Should be around 3 to 4 hrs job done right. Now go out and enjoy the beast mode lolz
thank you! about doubling up on the gaskets, it's probably safe to assume that they did not do that. do you recommend i take it back and get that taken care of?
Old 04-17-13, 11:47 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Yup, absolutely , to prevented from leaking later
Old 04-17-13, 11:50 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a shop in St.Pete that has done 2 exhausts on my car, let me know if u want them to look at ur car and I can get with the owner
Old 04-17-13, 12:58 PM
tybg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Yup, absolutely , to prevented from leaking later
appreciate the advice sir i will be getting that done in the next few days

Originally Posted by Mrd916
I have a shop in St.Pete that has done 2 exhausts on my car, let me know if u want them to look at ur car and I can get with the owner
sounds amazing, what's the name of the place? thank you
Old 04-17-13, 09:02 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tybg
thank you! about doubling up on the gaskets, it's probably safe to assume that they did not do that. do you recommend i take it back and get that taken care of?
I will say this that unless the sealing surface is not flat there is simply no need to double a gasket. I for one wound never EVER apply anything on my own vehicle more less a customers vehicle that requires the use of two gaskets to produce a proper sealing surface. Just saying... If another manufacture created a header which offered a "square" sealing surface (even at the expense of 10hp loss) I would choose them in a heart beat!