IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Steering ECU upgrade to 2011+ model

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 11:14 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Felixt, any update?

Last edited by Rossi; 07-05-13 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 12:31 PM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
So after dropping some fair weight from the suspension, I decided to purchase the 2012 steering ECU. I've seen a few people here and there do it, but not much feedback from the F crowd. I purchased my ECU through Sewell, part #89650-53041 (the previous unit is 89650-53040).

Installation: This was pretty straightforward and the easiest part of a rather stress-free process. It involves removing the battery and battery tray, which reveals the steering ECU just beneath it (images below). You then have three bolts and three connectors to remove, before pulling the ECU and reversing the process to install the new one. No additional parts or any modifications were necessary.

Calibration: I purchased mine new, so it didn't provide any assist out of the box. It's possible other steering functions could be affected, so for this very reason I'd highly recommend doing this at your dealer or somewhere you can get access to a Techstream and/or a person who knows what they're doing.

I happened to be at my dealership with one of the awesome techs willing to volunteer his time. He plugged in the laptop and had to clear a few aspects of the cars memory, before going through a process detailed in the software. This involved an illumination of the steering dash-light (which was normal), some manual 90 degree turns and centering of the wheel, a period of steering "vibration" (wheel turns itself under computer control), and a nice confirmation to signal all went well. It really is a simple step-by-step process where you read instructions and just hit "next".

The drive: The car feels incredible and has a very distinct feel, much nicer than the 53040 unit. I'd really like to get away from the idea of it being "heavier", because it's plenty easy to manage in low speed situations, especially in normal mode-- however, it's definitely more tactile in its feedback, resists irregularities in the road more confidently, and dials out the assist more rapidly and favorably as speed increases. In sport mode, the wheel firms up nicely and the car feels that much more assuring, as it seems to communicate what's going on with the car that much better, magnifying the above. Previously, I felt the steering was somewhat numb/disconnected at or during small degrees of steering input from center, but the 53041 ECU completely rids the car of this, and it's very confidence-inspiring. Most of all, it's just very fun to place the car where I want it, while feeling it transition.

This is how the car should have came from the factory. Period. If the suspension upgrades in later years do as much for the real-world performance, as this does for feel, then I have to say I'm very impressed by Lexus' continued refinement of the brand.

Great write up, I cannot wait to do this myself

Last edited by Rossi; 01-07-14 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-26-15, 04:49 PM
Rossi
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
I finally pulled a trigger today on a purchase of my new steering ECU.
I ended up choosing the 2011/2012 unit xx-41 over the 2013/2014 unit xx-42.

My decision was finally based on a few factors.

1) Price xx-41 is $474 shipped (Sewell) vs. xx-42 is $696 shipped (ebay). Sewell was $706.

2) xx-41 is in stock, xx-42 is a special order (Sewell)

3) after everything I have read, the 2011-12 cars were significantly improved
over the 2008-10 cars, while 2013-14 cars received just small changes over the 2011-12 ISFs.
I couldn't justify paying 40% more.

UPDATE:
(xx-41) Unit has been installed now for 10 days.

I went to South Coast Lexus as Neport Lexus declined to install an outside part. Not sure which dealer is worse as Sout Coast overcharged me for the install, billing me for 1.5 hours of labor TOTAL $247 crooks
Then when I pick up the car, I get a report that my brakes are about 30% remaining .... nothing wrong with that except the advisor stated the need to replace the rotors EVERY brake job as they are not re-surfaceable and this being a "sports car" it is a must .... ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?!!!

Now about the upgrade.
It did address my biggest complain about my 2010 ISF. I absolutely hated the numbness of the steering. Especially as I spent the most of my time driving my Cayenne GTS with its hydraulic steering which is just sensational. The ISF now is mutch closer to that....FINALLY!!!

Is th Upgrade noticable? YES
Is it really significant? NO
Is it worth it ? YES (if you sell the old unit to offset the cost)

Steering feel:
Numbness is gone. What I noticed the most is the difference between the Regular mode and the Sport mode when you drive. In regular mode, the steering feel is the most improved, noticeably lighter than before, making the car so much more nimble and so much more fun to drive. In the Sports mode, the steering is just slightly more precise than before and as heavy as before (nothing wrong with that, especially when you drive hard as I usually do in the sports mode). Before, both modes felt unnecessarily heavy. BTW, with the car being more nimble now, it is much easier to kick the tail out for a drift with the tarction off now

NOTE: I did not notice any changes over the 10 day period as some other members mentioned a learning process for the steering ECU unit. Same feel from the start for me.

Last edited by Rossi; 01-26-15 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-26-15, 05:43 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or you can hit the gym and lift weights so the steering wheel won't feel heavy lol jk.

My friend at Newport Lexus said he can do it.. but it really is up to the service advisor's discretion to go through with it.
Old 01-26-15, 06:03 PM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Or you can hit the gym and lift weights so the steering wheel won't feel heavy lol jk.
My friend at Newport Lexus said he can do it.. but it really is up to the service advisor's discretion to go through with it.
1 )The heavy steering didn't bother me, the numbness did for sure.

2) I was disappointed with the Newport Lexus, especially that I called them little while back to confirm that would install, they even quoted me $113 for it. Sucks:-(
Old 01-26-15, 06:18 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That seems unfortunate. My friend does all the mods for me that Service Advisors do not want to do. It really is a hit or miss with dealerships.
Old 01-26-19, 09:56 AM
Koreatown
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the link to the steering ecu? Can’t find the link
Old 01-26-19, 04:16 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Interesting find on this post. I’ve been crawling all over this board since October and I’ve just now heard of this. My bad?!?! Any way. Thanks.
Old 01-27-19, 11:54 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts

This post made my decision to get this mod done 3 days ago. Get the ecu from mylparts.com for 10% discount. Still expensive at $700 +$110 for the tech for recalibration.
Old 01-28-19, 11:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

One of the small things that makes a big difference when the wife drives the car. I bought the latest mode (42) and did the install and calibration myself. Still took forever for someone to decide they wanted my old unit and it sold pretty cheap after a pretty long wait.
Old 08-10-19, 01:56 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Bump for people that haven't head of this mod for steering feel
The following users liked this post:
GS3ooMania (08-10-19)
Old 08-10-19, 09:29 AM
GS3ooMania
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good to know!!
Old 08-10-19, 04:55 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve always had complaints about the my F’s steering, but I should have the 41 revision model S-ECU. Do these units have the part number on them somewhere to verify?
Old 09-09-20, 06:43 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Just did the upgrade to the "42" and what a difference. I calibrated it myself which was pretty easy. Great mod.
Now to sell my original module if its worth anything.
Old 09-09-20, 09:17 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

You can put it in the marketplace here, but it took a while for someone to buy my original unit for their 2IS. They didn't sell for a lot a few years ago. No idea what the market value is now.
The following users liked this post:
jdmek998 (09-10-20)

Quick Reply: Steering ECU upgrade to 2011+ model