1slowF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

piping looks a bit on the small side though
Old 04-06-13, 07:57 AM
rapsquared
Driver

Here are several more pictures from when I did the initial prototype fitting. There were some fitment issues we were working through (alignment, ground clearance, not being able to reuse bracing under car, rubbing on bottom of suspension) and the piping diameter is less than stock, I have been working closely with the shop to produce a product the community will want. Not just a shiny product that will lack features I know we all want.

I also have the CF prototype intake from topspeed in another thread. This will be a good product if we can get everything figured out with fitment.
Old 04-06-13, 11:03 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a quality product.
Old 04-06-13, 04:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slowF
piping looks a bit on the small side though
I'd say just the opposite. Bigger != better, and the lack of a connection between the left and right cylinder banks is also something I would not choose. There are lots of good reasons why the exhaust from all cylinders should merge into a single tube at some point in the exhaust system.

And for all you guys who think bigger piping means less "back pressure," I'll ask a simple physics question - When you increase the size of the piping, do you increase or decrease the total force of atmosphere across the tube?

Simple thought exercise - pressure is force per unit area, and standard atmospheric pressure doesn't change with the size of the pipe. However, the force of the atmosphere is calculated after removing the "per unit area," so if you increase the area (as does larger diameter tubing), what happens to the total force? So how is it possible "back pressure" can decrease with a larger tube when the total force applied by the atmosphere increases?

Any exhaust is going to be a compromise no matter how you slice it, and bigger tubing on a street driven engine is almost always worse because it favors torque at high rpm (great for racing) not torque in the mid-range or low end (great for street.)
Old 04-06-13, 05:56 PM
toky916
Pole Position

Looks good can't wait for more update
Old 04-06-13, 06:42 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Not bad, but that hangs way too low lol. And I think the stock exhaust tips will always look best. There is too much open space when they are removed, never looks right.
Old 04-06-13, 06:45 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
the lack of a connection between the left and right cylinder banks is also something I would not choose. There are lots of good reasons why the exhaust from all cylinders should merge into a single tube at some point in the exhaust system.
I also noticed the lack of an X or an H pipe.

Lou
Old 04-06-13, 08:57 PM
JonahSays
Driver School Candidate

I agree with most of your points and appreciate the feedback. Im going to Top Speed Monday to give my input and get some new resontors on. Im also working out another dyno run to see how effective this setup is, so i will definitely let you all know the results.

I am a fan of larger piping on aftermarket exhausts when it makes sense, and having the air run together at a certain point which is why we fabricated an h-pipe during the install. The next version will have an x-pipe.

Once i make another video we can all discuss the sound. I think the F should have a modest tone that boars when the time is right, but i know there are those out there who prefer a more aggressive roar. Again, this is still just a prototype and getting it right for the community is high on my priority list.
Keep the comments coming and thanks for the interest!
Old 04-11-13, 07:11 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Any updates? I would highly consider this if it was cheaper than the Borla. Looking forward to dyno numbers and sound clips...
Old 04-11-13, 07:39 AM
TOMW
Rookie

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Any updates? I would highly consider this if it was cheaper than the Borla. Looking forward to dyno numbers and sound clips...
dude can i just ask what is that thing in your avatar, it is goofy but funny
Old 04-11-13, 08:01 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Dancing duck doing that famous dance move.....took me an hour to find the perfect sized gif.......LOL
Old 04-11-13, 04:54 PM
JonahSays
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys,

I went to Top Speed Monday to fit some new resonators on. They are smaller/sleeker and the canister is a much more conducive shape. The sound is less pitchy and much deeper. I'll have to make a new video over the weekend - hopefully the pitch comes through the shi**y camera mic lol.

I'm going to dyno test this setup in about 2 weeks, so hopefully i can post some pretty nice gains. I asked Top Speed what they are planning to do with pricing and the tips. As of right now this system should be priced around $1,000, but I can't really speak for the shop - That's just a preliminary figure. We were batting around the idea of offering real titanium tip sleeves to cover the stock tips since the original look from factory is heavily favored (I personally want my tips to match my F-logo trim). Top Speed also threw out the thought of a full titanium setup for under $2,500 which I'm excited to see. After I dyno test the exhaust, I'm going back to rework the fitment. I had to shave down a bushing to get this set to fit properly. I'm going to get that fixed so the production model is close to perfect for ease of installation.

If you're interested, I posted a 2:00 clip of the exhaust before I put these new resonators on. I didn't really want to link it because the old sound was a bit pitchy, but it's on YouTube. Here are some pics of the new setup:
Attached Thumbnails Topspeed Pro n1 prototype exhaust for the F-20130408_172143.jpg   Topspeed Pro n1 prototype exhaust for the F-20130408_172150.jpg   Topspeed Pro n1 prototype exhaust for the F-20130408_173924.jpg   Topspeed Pro n1 prototype exhaust for the F-20130408_173938.jpg  
Old 04-11-13, 09:05 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

I like the new resonators better.
Old 04-12-13, 11:33 AM
JonahSays
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ShadowISF
I like the new resonators better.

Thanks Shadow, I do too lol. I also like the fact that the ports are flat. I asked the next setup to be this way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Topspeed Pro n1 prototype exhaust for the F