Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake Pads - Project Mu's or Stoptech

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 12:06 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How do you guys like the Porterfield R4-S's?

Anyone ever run them? I used to run them on my supra's and seemed to work real nice. 299 for the pads at porterfield.

Also just saw that rock auto carries the these pads http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1684

Looks like they list

Beck/Arnley OE brake pads come from top, reliable Asian and European brands such as:

Sumitomo (SEI)
Pagid
ATE
Textar
Mintex
Nissin
Jurid
Advics
TRW
Mobis

So if that's the case Pagid is a hell of a lot cheaper at rock auto.

Last edited by zazzn; 04-10-13 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-10-13, 12:45 PM
GillisF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran them on my previous vehicle and thought they were an excellent DD/light track pad.
The problem is I haven't run them in a while and I'm not sure how they'll compare with the F's OE pads.

I would be interested in trying them out on my next brake change.
Old 04-10-13, 03:54 PM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Does our rear caliper/pad match any other vehicle? It can't be completely new and unique...
Old 04-10-13, 05:15 PM
GillisF
Driver School Candidate

I found the FMSI number on our rear pads to be D1116. This will essentially match the pad shape, but it does not take into account pad thickness. So even if you find a pad that has the same FMSI number you will want to double check thickness before running it.

A quick Google search revealed the Mercedes CLK55 AMG 2005-2006 uses the same pad shape, but again you'll want to match the thickness.
Old 09-29-13, 10:53 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ckrueger4
I'm going to disagree with you that Project Mu is for track. My husband just took his 2008 ISF to Road America and went through two sets of pads in as many times as he was on the track. We bought these based on the recommendations of drivers on this site. Do NOT buy Project Mu for the track!
Which Project Mu Pads was he using? What tires was he using? What run group does he drive in?

There are three different options (NS / NS400, HC+ / HC+800 and Club Racer). The Club Racer is the only pad specifically designed for track use and will last for several track days even on a heavy high power car like the ISF. The HC+800 is an aggressive street pad that can take some track abuse from newer drivers on street tires (or lighter cars) but can be overheated if you have an experienced driver really pushing them on a heavier car. NS400 is a high end street pad that should not be used on a track in an ISF.

-Matt M.
Old 09-29-13, 04:48 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by ckrueger4
I'm going to disagree with you that Project Mu is for track. My husband just took his 2008 ISF to Road America and went through two sets of pads in as many times as he was on the track. We bought these based on the recommendations of drivers on this site. Do NOT buy Project Mu for the track!
Better explanation here:

Originally Posted by Speed-Freaks.net
I think there is some major confusion here. Project Mu is a brand that makes many different compounds. They make street pads designed for street use only (NS / NS400), track pads designed for track use only (Racing 999) and just about everything in between.

It is important to understand how to choose a pad that suits your situation best. Diver experience, vehicle weight, vehicle power, tires used, and the track driven on are all factors that must be considered when choosing the correct pads for track use. Road America is especially brutal on brakes compared to many other tracks and the ISF is a heavy and powerful car that is hard on brakes. Combine the two with an inappropriate pad selection and you will heat the pad way beyond it's MOT (maximum operating temperature) resulting in pad fade, extremely fast pad wear and ultimately a scary and frustrating situation.

Here is a chart from Project Mu that shows how some of their different compounds compare:

I believe the Club Racers are a derivative of the Racing 777 and H16-03 from their racing compounds. They are not listed on that chart but they are indeed a track specific pad that can be driven on the street (I daily drive mine in between track events) if you can handle a little noise from time to time.

Since The NS400, HC+800 and Club Racer are the only relevant compounds for the ISF community we can focus on those. As I mentioned in the other thread The Club Racer is the only pad specifically designed for track use and will last for several track days even on a heavy high power car like the ISF. It is in a completely different league compared to the HC+800 and in a completely different world compared to the NS400. The HC+800 is an aggressive street pad that can take some track abuse from newer drivers on street tires (or lighter cars) but can be overheated if you have an experienced driver really pushing them on a heavier car. NS400 is a high end street pad that should not be used on a track in an ISF.

NS400 description:
Project Mu NS400 compounds are developed specifically for street use. The NS400 pads are reliable and guaranteed to outperform OEM pads for a reasonable cost. NS400 pads provide outstanding initial stopping power which is of prime importance on the street. Made from asbestos-free brake compounds, NS400 street pads have excellent low dust and squeal properties. Use this pad to get the most out of your street car.

HC+800 description:
Project Mu HC+800 Brake Pads are a premium performance street, race, and rally brake pad. HC800 Brake Pads have more bite than both NS400 and B-Spec and has excellent fade resistance. Capable of operating at temperatures up to 800° (1,472°f), this pad will handle almost all serious braking conditions. Along with temperature capabilities, HC+800 is characterized as a “drivers pad” with unmatched driver feel and control. HC800 is a genuine ‘crossover’ pad suitable for both road and race. It is extremely capable in competition environments, so use this pad if you are involved in serious track day, rally, etc.

Club Racer description:
Club Racer is the new pad from Project-Mu for club racing and rally enthusiasts with seriously fast cars. It is a brake pad that offers the very best in performance, feel and release. This pad really punches above it's weight and will push aside many other over-priced race pads in many race and rally applications. It is based on the DNA of Project-Mu's ultra successful H16-03 motorsport pad which is one of the world's best race pads today. Club Racer is the pad to use of your car spends a majority of it's time on the track or in a rally at anything up to full professional motorsport.

I should also mention that although Project Mu claims the HC+800 is capable of track use, they work alright but they will wear much faster when they get that hot. It is a great pad for newer track drivers only doing a few events per year but drivers who go to the track more often will want something more appropriate (Club Racer, XP12, PFC 11, etc.)

-Matt M.
Lou
Old 09-30-13, 11:35 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonISF
Does our rear caliper/pad match any other vehicle? It can't be completely new and unique...
Would you mind explaining the reasoning behind the question?

In the case of the IS-F, it is quite unique... but this doesn't keep you from having more than enough choices of pads to pick from - if that was the concern.
Old 01-28-14, 09:13 PM
RedlineISF
Rookie

Has anyone here used Type NS 400 pads on the track? If so what was your opinion, compared to OEM?
Old 01-29-14, 03:17 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineISF
Has anyone here used Type NS 400 pads on the track? If so what was your opinion, compared to OEM?
I know this does not answer your question BUT... Why would you use them at the track when the manufacture clearly states it should not be used there?
Old 01-29-14, 10:38 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

this has been discussed before. plain and simple don't use them on the track cause they are not track pads!
Old 01-29-14, 10:59 AM
RedlineISF
Rookie

Ok. Thought I may be able to get away with using these for an HPDE event. Well aware of the manufacturers suggestion to not use on track, however I was asking if anyone in this forum had done so.
Old 01-29-14, 12:08 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe there was one lady that came on here complaining about how her husband used them and almost crashed or something. everyone stated the same that is posted above that these weren't tracked rated pads.
Old 09-17-15, 06:39 AM
ISFthat
Driver School Candidate

I was going to buy a set of the Project Mu Ns400 series for my front brakes today. I am also installing new brembo rotors with it. Can anyone tell me if I should be transferring the shims over from the factory pads or not? I don't see shims built in to the pads. Also, can anyone shed light on brake noise with these pads? Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-17-15, 07:11 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Got stop tech street pads, rb rotors, stoptech braided lines, stoptech fluid can't complain one bit, the dust washes right off and is very minimal
Old 09-17-15, 09:03 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFthat
I was going to buy a set of the Project Mu Ns400 series for my front brakes today. I am also installing new brembo rotors with it. Can anyone tell me if I should be transferring the shims over from the factory pads or not? I don't see shims built in to the pads. Also, can anyone shed light on brake noise with these pads? Any help is appreciated.
I use my OEM shims with the NS400 pads. Though, I don't think it's mandatory.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Brake Pads - Project Mu's or Stoptech