Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 07:15 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
No more lol at your gaps
Very nice !!
I really want one, I noticed no mash covering the vents, how come?
The mesh looked tacky to me, so i made the acrylic "windows". They no longer serve a purpose to vent heat (and when i did have them open, the vented heat after driving around was somewhere around 135F i believe, so they do pull a lot of heat out of the engine bay). I keep them covered even though it's not my daily anymore because 1) random rain 2) so no one screws with my engine bay when i leave it parked somewhere
Old 12-04-13, 08:51 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LOLM3
Seibon isn't cheap in quality being that the specialize in carbon fiber products they have cheaper costs than other brands like i-code or TRD. With that said our hoods are aluminum and going with CF the weight difference would be negligible in my opinion. So really it boils down to aesthetics. I had a Seibon hood on my Subaru and it withstood the sun in Arizona for a couple years just fine. I hear some people have yellowing issues since they use polyester gelcoat so many just sand it down when it yellows and go over it with a clear (if it happens).
did you get it cleared when you first got it? i don't know if we can trust the clear that comes with the hood also, so the yellowing can be reversed, just need to be sand down and re-clear?
Originally Posted by Brian85ISF
Heck if you guys ever plan on turboing your car this is a good investment for cooling properties, but no it isn't the best to have for daily drivers. Remember it is only ricey if the car didn't pack a punch from the factory. Seibon is a very common brand, and get some thumbs up from body shops for build quality. I have seen that yellowing, and it isn't too bad though I agree on painting the hood to factory color.
i've seen a few pictures of yellowed cf hood, and i couldn't tell the difference, either, so i wonder how bad it can really get..
Originally Posted by streetx
Seibon parts are hit or miss

I like the hood and kinda want it but i already spent way too much money this year

as for the carbon yellowing, throw a clear coat on it
again, would this be necessary if it already comes with clear coat?
Originally Posted by 96817isf
I had my fenders and hood for a while now and its not even close to yellowing well mabe just a bit but not really noticalbe only in the sun and certain angles but other then that can't tell still looks new on my car all though my car sits in a garage all week and hardly gets drivin in the day I plan on painting my fenders but as of the hood I goin keep it cf looking
how long have you had it for before you noticed yellowing? any pics?
Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
im pretty sure it is. im following the guy on instagram. it looks really nice in his pics.
what's his instagram?
Originally Posted by GearHead89
i have been through 2 carbon fiber hoods on my VR4 (both around this price range) I think they were made by VIS. fit was always pretty good and never had a problem with fading altho i do wash and wax my cars like crazy so that always helps. also if you do get it painted it will also get cleared so you wont have to worry about it fading. BUT the problem i did have with both is the gelcoat cracking in random spots and especially near sharp edges where the vents would be. I have no idea what caused this, I, nor anyone else ever sat on the hood or put weight of any kind on it so i have no idea why it would do that. needless to say after the second $750 hood doing it (after about a year or so) iv had it with carbon fiber body panels lol went back to stock
how long have you had the hood for and never noticed yellowing?

and i guess that's another reason why we shouldn't trust the clear that comes with the hood..
Originally Posted by heyarms
The mesh looked tacky to me, so i made the acrylic "windows". They no longer serve a purpose to vent heat (and when i did have them open, the vented heat after driving around was somewhere around 135F i believe, so they do pull a lot of heat out of the engine bay). I keep them covered even though it's not my daily anymore because 1) random rain 2) so no one screws with my engine bay when i leave it parked somewhere
love your ride!

i'm thinking about getting one for myself for christmas since no one mentioned, has anyone thought about getting clear bra for it to protect it further? since i don't think there's an easy fix for chipped cf b/c you can't simply just paint over it..

any input greatly appreciated
Old 12-08-13, 08:41 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

been thinking about this, i think im gonna paint it if i get one
Old 12-27-13, 02:08 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Anyone got one painted yet?
Old 01-30-14, 11:41 AM
Rossi
Racer

Just wondering for the instal, do you mount it using the OEM hood stuts?
I believe the weight is not reduced by much.
Anyone with carbon hood to share their experience?
Old 05-11-14, 11:30 AM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by Rossi
Just wondering for the instal, do you mount it using the OEM hood shocks?
I believe the weight is not reduced by much.
Anyone with carbon hood to share their experience?
Finally got my hood installed. I used OEM hood shocks.
Attached Thumbnails SEIBON TSII Carbon Fiber Hood for ISF-image.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
HyunR (03-07-18)
Old 05-11-14, 11:32 AM
Rossi
Racer

Another photo....
Old 05-11-14, 02:16 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome
Old 05-13-14, 06:34 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

agreed! looks great
Old 05-13-14, 10:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Rossi , I am impressed. That looks AMAZING. You nailed it. Even looks good with the stock wheels. How much was prep and paint if you dont mind me asking
Old 05-14-14, 12:43 AM
G9N
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rossi that looks great and makes me want to do it to mine. Does it have a drip tray? If not, how did you address the potential for water to come into the engine bay?
Old 05-14-14, 04:53 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Excuse my language! but Fing sick exactly what I wanted to do next! aghh!
Old 05-14-14, 07:25 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rossi...that looks friggien SICK and Matador Red RULES!!!

Dang now I want one for my car... How much did it set you back (PM me)?

However, I have a question from reading through this thread...

Is there some issue with our hoods staying down? I am confused...
Old 05-14-14, 09:43 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Very nice
Old 05-14-14, 09:53 AM
Rossi
Racer

^^^^^^ Thank you all for you kind remarks.

I purchased the hood on EBay from a reputable seller. ($755 offer accepted with free shipping and no tax)

The hood does not come with trays when it rains. I live in SoCal, it really rained like 4 times in last twelve months.
Also, the hood is designed well, if you would drive in the rain, the hood aerodynamics would not let the water inside, plus hot air is definitely streaming out of the vents. Therefore, it would be only questinon of NOT parking outside in the rain. Not really an issue for me. I believe you could just to rape the mesh vents with some duck tape fore limited time if needed.

I had the hood painted and installed locally. I had them prep it really well. Color match ended up to be 100%.
NO NEED TO SPRAY THE FENDERS. I ended up paying $400 for everything. Not bad at all.

Last edited by Rossi; 05-14-14 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: SEIBON TSII Carbon Fiber Hood for ISF