IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joe Z or Borla ?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 11:40 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To Vmatheboss, there is a really good side by side video on YouTube of 2 different Fs with a Borla vs Borla Sikky header combo revving it up.
Old 03-26-13, 11:44 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^I heard borla/sikky combo this weekend and it's not bad at all. In fact, my buddy was behind me as we were cruising to this meet, and said he was able to hear my exhaust (secondary cat/muffler delete) loud and clear over his sikky/borla. So I can't imagine in-cabin noise is bad at all until you get on it, at which it sounds amazing.
Old 03-26-13, 11:56 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey VtotheJ, you know I'm coming from from the 2nd cat/muffler delete and just put on PPE headers. I had to put the muffler section back on. How much louder is your car than the Borla plus sikky combo? I thinking about Borla. I really liked the deleted mod, but it had just a bit too much drone for me although I liked the volume. I'm wondering how headers and Joe Z compare to the deleted mod as well. Would you be happy with the Borla/header combo on your car or would you want more noise?
Old 03-26-13, 12:05 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

I would say they are similar in terms of loudness. But in terms of sound itself, very different. Not gonna lie, I doubt I would have done this mod if the car was my daily. It gets pretty loud at 2k RPM's... so it depends on the highway. In that sense it is good the F has 8 gears, so the drone is controllable.

From what I've heard in person, I think Borla + sikky is pretty tame, until you get on it. I have also heard Joe-Z + PPE, but my buddy had random tech cats, so it was significantly quieter. If I was to go to the header route, I'd either add magnaflow mufflers to my current setup.......or do borla + sikky/PPE.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 03-26-13 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 12:15 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Thanks V. Leaning closer to pulling the trigger on the Borla.
Old 03-26-13, 02:15 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Thanks V. Leaning closer to pulling the trigger on the Borla.
I just switch from a PPE and Joe Z set up to a Borla. I like the Joe Z a little better at woot, but cant stand the drone. It was really uncomfortable for me driving it everyday. Now with the Borla its a lot better. Little to no drone at all sounds deeper with the V8 rumble. When woot it the same as the Joe Z. Its perfect for a DD.
Old 03-26-13, 03:21 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FD3SISF
I just switch from a PPE and Joe Z set up to a Borla. I like the Joe Z a little better at woot, but cant stand the drone. It was really uncomfortable for me driving it everyday. Now with the Borla its a lot better. Little to no drone at all sounds deeper with the V8 rumble. When woot it the same as the Joe Z. Its perfect for a DD.
Just ordered my Borla and will be grabbing the PPE headers soon as well. I heard the PPE + Borla combo this weekend and it sounds awesome.
Old 03-26-13, 03:30 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Katin2
Just ordered my Borla and will be grabbing the PPE headers soon as well. I heard the PPE + Borla combo this weekend and it sounds awesome.
So you were there when he revved it? Yeah it sounded surprisingly good. I wish he had an X-pipe so I can hear if theres a difference.
Old 03-26-13, 03:42 PM
djhydro
Driver

I have the JoeZ and I would do it again if I could. The man himself is great and helped me through troubleshooting all the problems and that goes a long way.
Old 03-26-13, 03:47 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFpat
So you were there when he revved it? Yeah it sounded surprisingly good. I wish he had an X-pipe so I can hear if theres a difference.
Borla has an X-pipe just like the Joe Z. The only diffrence is the resonators on the Joe Z and Borla.
Old 03-26-13, 03:48 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Best quality , craftsmanship and performances wise are top notch Joez exhaust is made in the USA and is the best bang for your bucks, for those who are local in socal u can call up Carson Toyota and ask for Luis, pay cash no tax more than 90% of all 53 ISF shown up at socal BBQ meet have Joez exhaust and intake. U better believe it lolz and the Man was there lolz

Last edited by ISF4life; 03-26-13 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 04:03 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFpat
It sounded like a mean V8 but could be tame when cruising on the highway
Old 03-26-13, 04:21 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FD3SISF
Borla has an X-pipe just like the Joe Z. The only diffrence is the resonators on the Joe Z and Borla.
Does the pipe connect at the bend? Sorry, from pictures I just thought they were welded together but not connected.

Old 03-26-13, 05:28 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by stvincent
like mentioned above, Joe Z sounds great (i have received many compliments) but it's little too loud for me. sometimes i feel annoyed to step on the gas when passing. Definitely not subtle if you ask me, but i can understand this is subjective. nice rumble on the start up, great head turner, but 60+ miles commute probably got to me. if i had a fund, i would gone something along the line of HKS.

Doesn't the HKS sound crazy loud? I remember when I was looking at exhausts it was one of the loudest on internet videos.
Old 03-26-13, 05:36 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
Doesn't the HKS sound crazy loud? I remember when I was looking at exhausts it was one of the loudest on internet videos.
I've heard the hks axel back and it's quieter than the borla Catback. I've never heard an hks catback set up though.

Quick Reply: Joe Z or Borla ?????