IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Interested in ECU tune for the ISF ?

Old 03-12-13, 01:57 PM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madastep
Like Oklahoma City or Dallas? /chuckle

I'm down if you can get the person here and close to me, since my car is maxed out, minus what people like Slay are doing
Hah, you know, Oklahoma City is nearly the center point for east and west coast... And a damn long drive for me coming down from Toronto in Canada. But it sure as hell beats the trip to Japan.
Old 03-12-13, 02:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by zojirushi
How will this be affected by the o2 conditioners that are installed with headers? It's my understanding that the conditioners modify the input values to a range that doesn't trip a cel. If the ecu relies on the o2 sensors, then wouldn't installing the conditioners be bad?
The conditioners are not installed on the wideband sensors, only the narrowband sensors tracking catalytic converter performance.

If Taku is removing the secondary O2 input or ignoring it, there may be issues with passing smog in states where they connect to the OBDII port and look for DTCs. There is a "test ready" code that needs to be set in order to pass these tests and part of the ready is having a valid input from the secondary O2 sensor. I'd want validation the test ready indicator is properly set post tune.
Old 03-12-13, 03:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by CarbonISF
Oh, that is neat. Do you know at what RPM the valves float? I'd hate to see what titanium valves do if they get tapped by the piston...
Very unlikely to be a problem unless the valve springs are some of the defective ones. It's pretty hard to float 4 valve per cylinder set ups under 8k rpm, and mean piston speed at 8k rpm in our engine is absurdly high. At 6800 rpm, mean piston speed is 20.29 m/sec which is a little more than 10% higher than what most manufacturers believe to be highly reliable. At 8000 rpm, mean piston speed is 23.87 m/sec which is approaching the limits of the highest revving factory engines. The other important factor is rod length to stroke ratio because it determines maximum acceleration on the piston which I believe will be the biggest problem with the 2UR's OEM parts. The rocker arms and the valves are so light, float is about the last thing I'd be worried about under 8k rpm. BTW, the most aggressive factory engines have ~25.3 m/sec mean piston speed. The 2UR-GSE is at 8480 rpm when it hits that speed.

Can he give us a 1:1 throttle response in sport mode? Preferably without having to disable cruise control.
This would definitely be a fine addition.

Does he need to do anything to the TCU? I remember some members with all bolt-ons were getting rough shifts in auto mode. Maybe he can eliminate this problem, especially now it will be making more power and have a higher redline.
Resetting the TCM and going through the initialization process will fix this. The initialization process is a PITA, but without doing this right, it will always shift rough.

And... why don't we offer to fly him over here! If we have enough guys in on it. The Genesis Coupe guys have done this a few times here in Toronto and it worked out very well. I'm sure we could pick a more central location to meet in the US and have a weekend tuning event.
How about licensing someone in the US?????
Old 03-12-13, 04:55 PM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Thanks for the details lobux. How high can we safely go then for a redline? I'd guess we would need pistons, rods, bearings, and maybe a good rotating assembly balancing over 8000 RPM? This makes for an interesting discussion about a high revving NA build. I guess we are lucky to have a great valve train, if one is willing to build the motor. Hopefully Slays investigates this.

Is the tuning equipment controlled by Toyota? It looks like the only reason they can tune the cars is because they have the equipment for tuning Toyota race cars. Doubtful Toyota wants that equipment getting out in the wild.
Old 03-12-13, 05:32 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

taku sans initial testing sent the connecting rod through the block. he set the rpm redline to 8000 i believe.
Old 03-12-13, 05:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by amgone75
taku sans initial testing sent the connecting rod through the block. he set the rpm redline to 8000 i believe.
The question there is, what failed? The rod itself, or a rod bolt? Bolts are cheap. Rods are not.
Old 03-14-13, 07:41 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by streetx
welp is more of the fact that you cant maximize the results of a tune unless the car is strapped down to a dyno with the tuner their doing pulls and making adjustments.
That's the wisest thing someone said on this thread.

Off the shelf maps don't always work as advertised. My Subaru STi stage 2 off the shelf maps (Cobb) sucked and the car run so rich, it made LESS horsepower than stage 1. (I laughed when I saw the dyno sheets after the first pull on a Mustang dyno, 91 octane)

The tuner than used the Cobb Pro-Tune to start adjusting everything.

The car went from 224 AWHP to 262 AWHP, and from 225 AWTQ to..........are you ready?

293 AWTQ!

Custom tuning is the way to go, not sure how feasible it is with the ISF ECU.

My .002 cents.
Old 03-14-13, 08:19 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The question there is, what failed? The rod itself, or a rod bolt? Bolts are cheap. Rods are not.
im more interested in what caused it to fail
Old 03-14-13, 09:26 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

No worries about dyno and tuning simultaneously , When Taku=Novel gets here to tuned amgon75=David and my car here in, i'll set up dyno place for him to do just that. Will keep everyone post it when that happen i'll record video thru out the process as well . Hoping to get 30 to 40rwhp out of the Tuned with all bolts on . Nothing too crazy
Old 03-14-13, 11:48 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blitz_714
No worries about dyno and tuning simultaneously , When Taku=Novel gets here to tuned amgon75=David and my car here in, i'll set up dyno place for him to do just that. Will keep everyone post it when that happen i'll record video thru out the process as well . Hoping to get 30 to 40rwhp out of the Tuned with all bolts on . Nothing too crazy
Perhaps I missed it, but what gains are people in Japan seeing when tuning ISFs? Are there any dyno plots I can look at?

EDIT:

Oopse, first post. I found it.

Sorry!
Old 03-14-13, 11:59 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blitz_714
The problem is when you need a re-tune if you ever changed any of your parts.. (smog, exhaust, intake change etc.) or if your engine is running a little weird, who are you going to turn to? Are you simply going to call Taku and pay for his plane ticket back to the US to retune your car?

This is a problem until we find a person in the US that knows how to tune our cars and knows how to use the program correctly.
Old 03-14-13, 12:07 PM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFpat
The problem is when you need a re-tune if you ever changed any of your parts.. (smog, exhaust, intake change etc.) or if your engine is running a little weird, who are you going to turn to? Are you simply going to call Taku and pay for his plane ticket back to the US to retune your car?

This is a problem until we find a person in the US that knows how to tune our cars and knows how to use the program correctly.
I wrote my own tuning software and have helped reverse engineer ECUs. I'd kill to learn how to make this work. I've tuned many Subarus, but the concepts carry across models.

Hell, if needed I'd open source my code for others to use if it came to that.

Perhaps I should call up my local speed shop MachV (I know the owner) and see if they would be interested in footing the initial bill if I were the guinea pig.

Proof:
Old 03-14-13, 12:53 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tgui
I wrote my own tuning software and have helped reverse engineer ECUs. I'd kill to learn how to make this work. I've tuned many Subarus, but the concepts carry across models.

Hell, if needed I'd open source my code for others to use if it came to that.

Perhaps I should call up my local speed shop MachV (I know the owner) and see if they would be interested in footing the initial bill if I were the guinea pig.

Proof:
I'm also a software engineer and was looking to get Moore Automotive in Fairfax to foot the bill for the software and reader. I believe folks on here have found it for $1900.00. From what I've learned the Bosch encryption is the problem. No one has cracked it except for Sard and from what I heard they bought the rights to be able to the software (20k).

However, I am open to writing something as well.....if it can be done.
Old 03-14-13, 01:28 PM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
I'm also a software engineer and was looking to get Moore Automotive in Fairfax to foot the bill for the software and reader. I believe folks on here have found it for $1900.00. From what I've learned the Bosch encryption is the problem. No one has cracked it except for Sard and from what I heard they bought the rights to be able to the software (20k).

However, I am open to writing something as well.....if it can be done.
Ohhh hell no, I won't touch a Bosch based ECU. I played with a MINI ECU. I gave up quickly. I have no time to brute force crack N-number of ECUs. nope nope nope

I'm only tossing around the idea of some custom software IFF its needed. I would hope the Sard software would be capable enough... and in a language I can read. If not, thats when my software would come into play. Perhaps I could scrape an unencrypted ROM, or tie into commands sent over USB to their (presumably) de/encryption box.

I manly wanted to convey I'd release any software or knowledge required to get the Sard device up and running and tunning US cars and that I know the owner of MachV in VA is a good tuner and a nice guy.

I have absolutely no interest in money. I like money, its just that I would probably make more of it doing my current job rather than tuning cars.
Old 03-14-13, 02:20 PM
CarbonISF
Rookie

So did I miss something... Sard is flying here to tune your cars? If so, can he squeeze in another car . I thought you were going to Japan to make a canned tune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interested in ECU tune for the ISF ?