IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Vsc vs vsc off! Wow what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 05:18 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ISF is a crazy drift machine with VSC off. I love it. Since I've bought it, I have challenged myself to tame the beast.

Old 02-26-14, 06:34 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by fstpassat
So with VSC off, does anyone know if the E-diff still functions or not? Only reason I ask is because even with VSC turned off, the light will still flash at me from time to time(while going in a straight line). It made me wonder if the E-diff was still functioning and the light flashing at me was the rear brakes doing their thing to distribute power.

And I am not talking about the pedal dance, just press and hold the VSC button for 5 seconds.
5 second button press = eLSD is still functional.
Pedal dance = eLSD is fully disabled.

Last edited by redspencer; 02-28-14 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-26-14, 06:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

^^Correct. Validated in turn 8 at CMP.
Old 02-27-14, 08:20 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

don't know about you but VSC on an 08 sucks because the ediff blows monkey *****.

Need a REAL diff to have any fun with an F.

When ever I try to powerslide in my F, it just 1 tire burns... So... I don't know whats going.. Eventually the Ediff figures it's self out but that's already far later then I want it to.

With VSC off when I was at sonoma raceway I almost powerslid into the wall it was very jarring, as it was nothing at all like VSC on not even remotely like Lobuxracer says. It's a completely different car with the VSC off.

With it off coming out of corners and applying power is VERY VERY hard as the car wants to spin the inside wheel which has no load. With VSC on I found it was much easier to put power down and also have a really crappy line. Basically the computers make you an ACE if you were a duce.

Last edited by zazzn; 02-28-14 at 08:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FTWisF (03-07-22)
Old 02-28-14, 12:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

This was not my experience at the track at all. The eLSD worked as it should, and kept the inside wheel from spinning when it got off the ground (hence the reason I think the F needs stiffer front springs). With VSC on, I had a very difficult time getting the car on line. It was easy once I turned it off. I had no issues with keeping the car pointed in the right direction with VSC off, and "string theory" (your hand and the foot on the same side of your body are held together by an invisible string, so if you put your foot down on the gas, you must necessarily straighten the wheel, and if you're turning the wheel, your foot comes off the gas) works perfectly.

When I turned off the eLSD with the pedal dance, I got inside wheel spin like I had blown a clutch on the exit of turn 8 at CMP. Engine instantly tached to the limiter and the car actually slowed on the exit of the turn until the inside tire touched down again. I never did the pedal dance again. It's very counterproductive.

I've never had a problem with outside wheel spin - it's very easy to control the car's heading with the accelerator.
Old 02-28-14, 01:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Lobuxracer I love your signature. Its so true. I have been a tuner for years and have backed off because its mostly worse for the car or just more noise. Toyota Engineers know what they are doing

Most performance mods need a watch and timed course to demonstrate actual improvement. Few deliver the advertised claims. Many are actually worse than stock. The best performance mods are made to the driver.

Spoken like a man who has done some track time. I have read several books on track driving techniques , as well as a ton on suspension set up and chassis engineering. I am in the medical field but the car stuff is the only stuff I will read outside of a CE lecture
Old 02-28-14, 02:14 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

After ~250 miles on a road course throughout 3 tracks days, I have never disabled or even felt the VSC activate.. I am pretty sure I am cornering as hard as the car will allow without "overdriving?" it. I am just too unprepared to control the car to a point where VSC intervenes... I have seen/felt traction activate on slick surfaces, but never VSC....

From a standstill, like at a straight line drag race, VSC/Trac off does seem faster, however, I have yet to test this though. Road course, I dare not disable them....

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you're already a pretty well versed track driver, you'll be able to get more from the car with the VSC as a safety net. If you're not well versed, or used to something very different, the VSC will make it challenging to learn what the car naturally wants to do. I cooked my front brakes with VSC on at the track in 3 sessions. I turned VSC off and learned how much wrong I had been in a few places on the track - it was impossible to flat pedal those sections with the VSC off, but with it on, the car seemed perfectly happy. I learned a lot more about how the car likes to be driven with VSC off. The danger there is, if you really screw up, it will get out of hand very quickly.

For me, at my level first driving this car at the track, turning off VSC was essential. I wasn't learning anything with it on, and I was getting frustrated with putting the car where I wanted it on line. I'm pretty confident I could now drive the car faster with VSC turned on, using it as a safety net which would allow me to get closer to the edge of control with confidence.

JMHO.
Old 03-01-14, 07:36 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

question for you guys, with the pedal dance or with the vsc off why is it that the car will not spin both wheels in a powerslide?
Old 03-01-14, 10:01 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ are you 08-09?
Old 03-03-14, 07:29 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by daedalus
^^^ are you 08-09?
its an 08

Old 03-04-14, 08:05 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The car has an open diff and the eLSD does not start working until you are at speed. It does nothing off the line.