IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Vsc vs vsc off! Wow what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 11:10 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the track heads, do you guys leave VSC/traction off on the drag strip?
Old 04-16-13, 11:23 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

^^^^yes. every time.
Old 04-16-13, 02:02 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Do not run at the drag strip with it on. Use sport mode and hold down the vsc button for 5 sec till both trac lights come on and the system is off
Old 04-16-13, 05:41 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you floor the accelerator coming out of a corner in sport mode, how much leeway does the VSC give you? Does it allow enough oversteer that you need to countersteer? When it kicks in, does it reduce throttle, apply brakes or do both?
Old 02-25-14, 04:17 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Apologies for resurrecting this post from the dead....

I've never done the "5 second press" to disable both traction and VSC until today, and from launch, the car does feel "faster" as it does not seem to "bog?" as much in 1st gear with full throttle. Whether it is, I won't know until the next drag day.

The reason I ask is because I took the ISF to the drags and could only do mid 13's @ 106/107. Does Trac/VSC ON really decrease the performance in the quarter mile by half a second and 5+mph trap speed?
Old 02-25-14, 05:33 PM
G9N
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The area that VSC is going to come into effect on the drag strip is the launch. Any wheel spin and it will activate and pretty much stop your acceleration. The drag strip times are won really in the first 60'. For every 1/10th of a second you shave in the 60', you shave 3/10th by the end of the 1/4. In short, yes it's going to cost you as a drag race is all about the hole shot when the VSC would be most active.
Old 02-25-14, 09:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I turned it off the other day and launched it and it didn't break traction at all. In the end with the cars insane power and torque relative to the narrow widths of the tires I think turning it off and punching it could be a recipe for a spin. I got stupid with my car in a construction zone the other day and just punching it out of a hair pin turn the car wanted to oversteer. I counter steered and the VSC kicked in and it straightened me out. If I had the VSC off I would have ended up hitting a curb. Kind of curious as to how the car drifts with the relatively short wheeI base. Guess she's still too new to me to start driving her crazy . Have to remember I drove an LS460 on 22s for three and a half years before I bought this thing. It feels plenty fast, loud, and wild.
Old 02-26-14, 08:44 AM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

So with VSC off, does anyone know if the E-diff still functions or not? Only reason I ask is because even with VSC turned off, the light will still flash at me from time to time(while going in a straight line). It made me wonder if the E-diff was still functioning and the light flashing at me was the rear brakes doing their thing to distribute power.

And I am not talking about the pedal dance, just press and hold the VSC button for 5 seconds.
Old 02-26-14, 09:32 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Stolen from another thread..short answer is yes, E diff is functioning.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Here's everything else that happens when you play with the mode switch:

Old 02-26-14, 09:53 AM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vervish
Anybody have a clue what "Steering cooperative control" does?
Old 02-26-14, 10:11 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

I tried this again this morning and I don't know if the car is faster or not, it may be. But the car does behave more naturally with VSC "off." The steering does feel a little bit more stiffer and allows you to put the car where you want on the road without the electronics getting in the way. The car handling dynamics feel a lot more "artificial" with VSC "on" and understeer much more apparent.

Also this may be in my mind but the pull to the right many drivers have experienced is more subtle with VSC off. I am going to keep driving with VSC off and see if this remains to be true.

As far as others saying it is not safe to drive with VSC off, I think its as safe as you are...with VSC off the steering definitely feels better which has been the biggest drawback for me about this car. My advice is drive with VSC "off" as others have recommended, the car feels a lot different and for the better. In the rain just be a little careful. I have tried with VSC "off" in the rain about a year ago and the back out on a windy road but I was able to catch it.

Those are my thoughts on the VSC.

Good luck! Enjoy the car
Old 02-26-14, 11:34 AM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
Excellent post. Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-26-14, 12:01 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Professional Drivers on a closed course...

Videos are from the 2007 Press Launch @ Laguna Seca

There is another video somewhere that just the overlapping differences..

Enjoy,

~ Joe Z
Old 02-26-14, 01:32 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been driving around the past 2 days with trac and VSC off on public roads. I've never disabled them via 5 second press, and it does feel different. The difference is mainly felt at low speeds and cornering hard; the car feels more "natural" and less "resistive" to turning and accelerating if that makes any sense. Highway speed driving is the same, since I don't perform maneuvers for trac/vsc to intervene when on the highway,

At low speeds, it sure does make a subtle difference and I am not imagining it. Anyone who drives their car daily, knows what it feels like and when something is different about it. Apparently, I have been missing out on this cars capability, for I always thought "Sport mode" was enough, since it allowed more leniency before intervening... I've been to 3 track events without disabling trac/VSC too, thinking Sport mode was enough performance...I guess it is not....

Originally Posted by pc1990
I tried this again this morning and I don't know if the car is faster or not, it may be. But the car does behave more naturally with VSC "off." The steering does feel a little bit more stiffer and allows you to put the car where you want on the road without the electronics getting in the way. The car handling dynamics feel a lot more "artificial" with VSC "on" and understeer much more apparent.

Also this may be in my mind but the pull to the right many drivers have experienced is more subtle with VSC off. I am going to keep driving with VSC off and see if this remains to be true.

As far as others saying it is not safe to drive with VSC off, I think its as safe as you are...with VSC off the steering definitely feels better which has been the biggest drawback for me about this car. My advice is drive with VSC "off" as others have recommended, the car feels a lot different and for the better. In the rain just be a little careful. I have tried with VSC "off" in the rain about a year ago and the back out on a windy road but I was able to catch it.

Those are my thoughts on the VSC.

Good luck! Enjoy the car
Old 02-26-14, 02:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

If you're already a pretty well versed track driver, you'll be able to get more from the car with the VSC as a safety net. If you're not well versed, or used to something very different, the VSC will make it challenging to learn what the car naturally wants to do. I cooked my front brakes with VSC on at the track in 3 sessions. I turned VSC off and learned how much wrong I had been in a few places on the track - it was impossible to flat pedal those sections with the VSC off, but with it on, the car seemed perfectly happy. I learned a lot more about how the car likes to be driven with VSC off. The danger there is, if you really screw up, it will get out of hand very quickly.

For me, at my level first driving this car at the track, turning off VSC was essential. I wasn't learning anything with it on, and I was getting frustrated with putting the car where I wanted it on line. I'm pretty confident I could now drive the car faster with VSC turned on, using it as a safety net which would allow me to get closer to the edge of control with confidence.

JMHO.

Quick Reply: Vsc vs vsc off! Wow what a difference!