IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE Header Issue Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 12:11 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the member above said. The o2 sensor will either come out of the stock manifold or ruin it self. The cast metals seems to bind to one another from the factory install.
Depending on your mechanics tools and skill he might be able to repair the threads and save you from buying new ones.
50/50

~Dv8
Old 03-03-13, 12:47 PM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree w isfpower the best way is to buy a new set and replace it along w the install we own a shop we have every available tool there is and not to mention skills , the metals bind by heat and years of use , also we have found some times the threads are messed up in factory installation
Old 03-03-13, 02:38 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by staman
95 percent of people with PPE header problems either screwed up an O2 sensor or installed the O2 simulator incorrectly. That was pretty easy to do seeing as the original wiring instructions that came with the headers were wrong. That was corrected some time ago. I payed 1000 bucks to have my headers installed but they were done right the first time with no CEL's at all. You screw up one sensor and your out 200 bucks so I just dont understand why people insist on these 5-6 hundred dollar header jobs. You get what you pay for.. Im sure 150 bucks of that went to installing the original (ridiculous) dip stick...
I had the same issues the wiring was incorrect because the instructions were wrong to begin with. After Paul and I realized the problem my CEL went away. Anyone with the new headers the dipstick is not needed? What is the difference in the new design? Same horsepower gains?
Old 03-03-13, 06:48 PM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

Desing changed just for that reason, but i was told by ppe gains remains equal
Old 03-04-13, 12:34 AM
quarius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KOKISF
The electrical conection its not that hard , read the instructions first and if you have any doubts on wiring colors call them up their custmer service is far from none, i got a cel after installation we scaned the ecu and the problem was on the primary o2 sensors wich they have nothing to do w the conditioner, the conditioner is only for the secondary o2 sensors this are the ones that sense the absence of the cat converter on the header the primaries are for the air ratio and they from factory come before the first cats wich are removed w the headers , but i recomend you buy a set of o2 sensors because they are brittle and during removal they tend to get damaged dont buy them at the dealer too expensive they are made by denso and if you look them up you will find them cheap the primary o2 denso part # is 234-9048 you can find them in amazon for arround $75 to $115 vs dealer price $235 pluss for the same thing the secondaries if you get them out find your in good luck bit if you strip them the denso part no is 234-4521 i think this is al you will extra need for your installation trouble free, the instructions sucks at least on mine wich was the old style that had to replace the dip stick and the part is a pain in the butt other than that the conditioner installation is simple once you know what to do and the plugs you need to interface, the mechanical installation if you are very mechanically oriented and have acces to a lift and some jacks you can doit in arround 6 to 8 hrs , i did mine in 10 hrs because i spended two hours trying to figure out the dip stick story and 1 hr trying to figure out the instructions, what i did is that i downloaded the instructions from sikky and the ones on the ppe kit use them both and then got the whole picture , but both instruction set sucks sikkys is slighly better
So you recommend to get one of each just in case? Just one sensor for the primaries and secondaries?
Old 03-04-13, 07:03 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

well all the trouble ive seen and experienced is on the primaries, so i would recomend only those, but if the rear strips out need to be replaced , as well or fix the treads and try it
Old 03-04-13, 10:39 AM
elowderm
Driver School Candidate

I have an '08 ISF and have no issues with my PPE headers. I've been reading about header issues through the different message boards and it seems there are more problems with later model F's. It may be just coincidence.
Old 03-04-13, 03:49 PM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

mine is 2008 and i dont have any header problem what so ever , actually I think theyre great!!! but the scenario of the conditioner instruction was true , and its something that only do it your self guys need to know because he is the one who is going to encounter problems , if you pay for the installation chances are you wont noticed this, but we are letting people know if they encounter this problem to call ppe and they will straighten everything out in a matter of seconds , the story w the o2 sensors is not a fault on the header , because the same happends to sikky or ppe and is just a recomendation for the person who is soon to install and its wondering if he has all the areas covered... header issue by it self I never heard it or read it or experienceit

Last edited by KOKISF; 03-04-13 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-04-13, 05:42 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
buying two new o2 air fuel sensors is such cheap insurance, i dont know why it should bother a lot of you. even if you can take off your old ones, why not just put new ones in for assurance down the road for even longer reliability? advance auto now sells denso sensors and with their online discounts, they are like 140 a piece.
That's my opinion exactly.

My take is to buy 2 new O2 sensors just in case they're needed during install. That nearly guarantees you won't have issues with them. Plus, for the header cost + install it's not a big expense.

On my 08 when I tried to simply put a cat-back on I was unable to get my secondary sensors off the stock pipes. They had 50k miles of being locked in like crazy and I needed a shop to take care of that for me (which they were able to but I did notice things were definitely scuffed up during the process).

So for headers, just get spares in case they're needed. Return them or just sell them here if you don't. Other people will.
Old 05-07-14, 07:18 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Sorry to bump an older thread, but relevant to the discussion: Would PPE headers with stock exhaust, or modified/aftermarket with + HFC require the o2 sims to be wired to prevent a CEL? I'm not sure if these are needed for all header installations or if they only need to be installed when the secondary cats are removed as well.

I have PPE headers from the original owner who had Joe-Z with Random Tech cats and then back tot he stock system. I finally decided to go back to Joe-Z, but I'm not sure about the situation with the o2 sims - if they would need to be wired or not. I actually also have Magnaflow HFCs ready to go on, but would like to at least try out the exhaust without them first. I'm just not sure what to look for under the hood to see if the o2 conditioners are installed.
Old 05-07-14, 08:38 AM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by snea
Sorry to bump an older thread, but relevant to the discussion: Would PPE headers with stock exhaust, or modified/aftermarket with + HFC require the o2 sims to be wired to prevent a CEL? I'm not sure if these are needed for all header installations or if they only need to be installed when the secondary cats are removed as well.

I have PPE headers from the original owner who had Joe-Z with Random Tech cats and then back tot he stock system. I finally decided to go back to Joe-Z, but I'm not sure about the situation with the o2 sims - if they would need to be wired or not. I actually also have Magnaflow HFCs ready to go on, but would like to at least try out the exhaust without them first. I'm just not sure what to look for under the hood to see if the o2 conditioners are installed.
Looks like this

Remove the driver side engine cover.
Old 05-07-14, 10:02 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Hmm. I pulled the driver side engine cover and poked around a bit. I'm not seeing the module, but unless it should be totally obvious, I could very well be missing it. Maybe someone could snap a pic of where it should be wired in? Unfortunately, PPE doesn't post install instructions online for these (just the actual headers).

Also, is the o2 conditioner still necessary when the unmodified stock exhaust or HFCs are in place?
Old 05-07-14, 10:38 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not under the drivers side plastic engine cover. It will be under the lid of the drivers side junction box/fuse box. Remove the plastic engine surround covers and then remove the 10mm bolts holding the lid on the junction box. You will see it tapped in to the ECU connections and tucked away somewhere in there.

I can't say from experience using PPE headers with cats but I would think that you would not need to simulate the signal with properly working HFCs
If it is already installed and working correctly I would not cut and rework the wiring to removed it. I would just leave it alone.
Old 05-07-14, 11:14 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Found it, thanks RCB!

I'm not messing with it, I just wanted to make sure it was in place before installing the new exhaust without cats.
Old 05-07-14, 02:31 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by RCB
I can't say from experience using PPE headers with cats but I would think that you would not need to simulate the signal with properly working HFCs
With Headers and HiFlow Cats you would still need to use the sim, because the before and after o2 bungs are located in the header collector and in the front section of the exhaust respectively. The HiFlows Cats would be located down stream of both sets of bungs.

Lou

Quick Reply: PPE Header Issue Discussion