IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Fuel tank size

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 08:18 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank size

I just happened to be on the Lexus website, specs on the 2013 says the tank size is" Fuel-Tank Capacity 16.9 gal (64 L) ".

Did they up the tank size from my '08? Because filling up my car doesnt even come within 2.5 gallons of that listed size.
Old 02-28-13, 08:26 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

sounds the same to me.
Old 02-28-13, 08:27 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

when your needle hits E it inst actually completely empty

There's a few gallons of "reserve" fuel before its completely gone. manufacturers do that to idiot proof it a bit
Old 02-28-13, 08:45 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by streetx
when your needle hits E it inst actually completely empty

There's a few gallons of "reserve" fuel before its completely gone. manufacturers do that to idiot proof it a bit
I know that. But I thought usually it is like .5-1.0 gallons. My normal fill up is 3 gallons (13.9 out of 16.9) below stated size. My 335 would normal fill 15.0 out of 15.8 stated size. Just seemed odd and I was curious I guess lol
Old 02-28-13, 10:26 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

fuel tank varies depending on manufacture...there is no standard dude. Ever talk to an owner of a Subaru WRX STi? When that light comes on, it means get gas NOW.

If you think about it, with city driving, the reserve in our car is only good for roughly 50 miles...THATS NOT A LOT!

BTW, maybe you can test the the manufacture for us? Run your car until it's completely empty, then fill it up. Let us know how much you filled up...I think this is a service that you're now bound to do because you asked the original question.
Old 03-01-13, 03:31 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Just F Me
fuel tank varies depending on manufacture...there is no standard dude. Ever talk to an owner of a Subaru WRX STi? When that light comes on, it means get gas NOW.

If you think about it, with city driving, the reserve in our car is only good for roughly 50 miles...THATS NOT A LOT!

BTW, maybe you can test the the manufacture for us? Run your car until it's completely empty, then fill it up. Let us know how much you filled up...I think this is a service that you're now bound to do because you asked the original question.
I never said there was a standard. Just all the cars I have owned were around 1 gallon, not 3.

Hey now, I can go to work and home for 3 or 4 days on 50 miles worth of gas
Old 03-01-13, 06:00 AM
Undutched
Driver School Candidate

I wish the tank would have been a bit bigger. I have to get gas once a week.
Old 03-01-13, 07:15 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Undutched
I wish the tank would have been a bit bigger. I have to get gas once a week.
Thats how often I get to fill up also, unless Im out cruising and having fun! then that can eat some gas up lol
Old 03-01-13, 09:12 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The light actually comes on at 2 gallons left.

A supporting fact is like you said, you can go 50 miles on the light. Your car does not get 50 mpg, its closer to 25 mpg...which means 2 gallons left.
Old 03-01-13, 09:22 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by edgeucated
The light actually comes on at 2 gallons left.

A supporting fact is like you said, you can go 50 miles on the light. Your car does not get 50 mpg, its closer to 25 mpg...which means 2 gallons left.
I didnt realize I would get such hate from every one for just asking if they changed the tank size. Surprised I havent got RTFM emoticon yet.

I had run the miles left on tank on the dash screen down to 11miles left and the car only took 14.2 gallons to fill it... Still 2.7 gallons off the website spec. so I was estimated 40 miles past when the light came on. So your theory doesnt fly about 2 gallons left in tank when light comes on if I burned most of that 2 gallons while light was on and it still filled 2.7 gallons away from "Full 16.9". I was almost on E and there was still almost 3 gallons in the tank in theory.
Old 03-01-13, 09:41 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CUTigers
I didnt realize I would get such hate from every one for just asking if they changed the tank size. Surprised I havent got RTFM emoticon yet.

I had run the miles left on tank on the dash screen down to 11miles left and the car only took 14.2 gallons to fill it... Still 2.7 gallons off the website spec. so I was estimated 40 miles past when the light came on. So your theory doesnt fly about 2 gallons left in tank when light comes on if I burned most of that 2 gallons while light was on and it still filled 2.7 gallons away from "Full 16.9". I was almost on E and there was still almost 3 gallons in the tank in theory.
Sorry if my post came off as rude, that was not my intention

And I think i was a little misleading in my post. The light comes on with 2 gallons left, so you can go about 50 miles before reaching E or 0 miles on your screen. However, lexus dumby-proofed the car so there is an addition 2 gallons reserve after you get to E or go pass the 0 mile mark.

So when the light in your car goes on, you really have 4 gallons left (2 gallons in tank, and 2 gallons in reserves; you used 13 gallons of your 17 gallon tank), and after you ran down to 11 miles, you basically have what you estimated left: 2.7 gallons (used 14.3 of your 17 gallon tank). So when you went to fill up, you only filled up around 15 gallons. Again, these numbers are based upon a 25 mpg estimate, your car might not do that so the numbers might be off a little bit, but hopefully you get the gist of it.
Old 03-01-13, 10:52 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

why not just fill up before the light comes on then you don't have to worry? Why not just fill up at half tank? Gas prices are always going up. so you're technically hedging yourself and saving money.
Old 03-01-13, 11:27 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CUTigers
I just happened to be on the Lexus website, specs on the 2013 says the tank size is" Fuel-Tank Capacity 16.9 gal (64 L) ".

Did they up the tank size from my '08? Because filling up my car doesnt even come within 2.5 gallons of that listed size.
It has not changed .. The 08's are listed at 16.9 as well..

I have pulled a kramer once and went approx. 50 hwy miles past ZERO...

The most fuel I have ever gotten in was approx. 16.5 gal.

I will not talk about the time I ran out of fuel at the race track... LoL )

~ Joe Z
Old 03-01-13, 12:45 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Am I the only one who fills up only half a tank of fuel per visit? That's my way of keeping the weight down since my belly makes up the difference .
Old 03-01-13, 12:53 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
why not just fill up before the light comes on then you don't have to worry? Why not just fill up at half tank? Gas prices are always going up. so you're technically hedging yourself and saving money.
How is this hedging? You're making more trips to the gas station even though you're spending less each time, regardless of gas prices. It's the same if you were to fill up a full tank instead of half.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank size