IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

All-Season Tires: Michelin A/S Plus vs Continental DWS

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-13, 10:18 PM
Aggression
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All-Season Tires: Michelin A/S Plus vs Continental DWS

I've spent the last few hours searching the forums and reading up on tons of different tire experiences and have decided on getting wider tires: 245/35/19 fronts and 285/30/19 rears. (Gotta thank Lou for all his posts on increased tire width - very enlightening for me.) Since I'm a spirited driver and can't seem to fight the urge to aggressively launch at stoplights (thanks Joe Z for your exhaust and its addictive sound LOL), I've decided to get all-season tires due to their extended tread-life. I've narrowed it down to the following two all-season tires:

1) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2) Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Can anybody chime in on how they compare with regards to:

1) Tread-life
2) Grip and Noise (considering I like launching from a dead stop, will have Joe Z exhaust + Sikky headers, and live in TX)

My 3rd choice would be Michelin PSS, but I don't want to buy tires every ~15k miles based on my driving habits.

Thanks in advance for any help you gents can provide!

*edit*
I have an '08 at stock height on stock rims.

Last edited by Aggression; 02-21-13 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-20-13, 10:25 PM
vmatheboss
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got my continental DWS installed about a month ago... i knew noting about them and was referred by my tire shop that these were best bang for the buck....

definitely has good grip at launches... on manual mode from 1st to 2nd gear i do screech on launches...i havent had it long enough to let you know about tread life...but i hang turns and take off like crazy at stops...
Old 02-20-13, 11:08 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PSS is an amazing tire.. if you can afford it then its worth it. Don't let the tire ratings fool you, itll last unless you do burnouts and lots of sliding.

But get the tire for your needs.. if you drive the car hard then a stickier tire (PSS) will suit you better.

I have the DWS and IMO they arn't that great, decent tire but for driving hard then they may disappoint. Michelin A/S is also a step down from PSS overall.

Remember.. Ferrari's come with PSS's lol.. thats saying something.
Old 02-20-13, 11:13 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
PSS is an amazing tire.. if you can afford it then its worth it. Don't let the tire ratings fool you, itll last unless you do burnouts and lots of sliding.

But get the tire for your needs.. if you drive the car hard then a stickier tire (PSS) will suit you better.

I have the DWS and IMO they arn't that great, decent tire but for driving hard then they may disappoint. Michelin A/S is also a step down from PSS overall.

Remember.. Ferrari's come with PSS's lol.. thats saying something.
you live in CA but have DWS? is there a reason why you didn't just go with the DW?
Old 02-20-13, 11:15 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Iv had OEM potenzas on multiple cars and I hate them. They have like a 140 tread life rating and arent that sticky to warrant that low life. There are multiple max performance summer tires that run 300 tread ratings, with the PSS being one. Even those tires will be a step up in life if you are comparing to the Potenzas..

If you want legit grip, get the Pilot Sport cups
Old 02-20-13, 11:48 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
you live in CA but have DWS? is there a reason why you didn't just go with the DW?
Whoops I meant that I have the DW not the DWS.. doh!
Old 02-21-13, 12:26 AM
FforLife
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aggression
I've spent the last few hours searching the forums and reading up on tons of different tire experiences and have decided on getting wider tires: 245/35/19 fronts and 285/30/19 rears. (Gotta thank Lou for all his posts on increased tire width - very enlightening for me.) Since I'm a spirited driver and can't seem to fight the urge to aggressively launch at stoplights (thanks Joe Z for your exhaust and its addictive sound LOL), I've decided to get all-season tires due to their extended tread-life. I've narrowed it down to the following two all-season tires:

1) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2) Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Can anybody chime in on how they compare with regards to:

1) Tread-life
2) Grip and Noise (considering I like launching from a dead stop, will have Joe Z exhaust + Sikky headers, and live in TX)

My 3rd choice would be Michelin PSS, but I don't want to buy tires every ~15k miles based on my driving habits.

Thanks in advance for any help you gents can provide!

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 02-21-13, 12:29 AM
FforLife
Rookie

[quote=Aggression] I've spent the last few hours searching the forums and reading up on tons of different tire experiences and have decided on getting wider tires: 245/35/19 fronts and 285/30/19 rears.

is it for stock rims or after markets. Year of your F?

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 02-21-13, 02:13 AM
Aggression
Driver School Candidate

@FforLife: It's an '08 F at stock height on stock rims.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone! The more reviews, the better
Old 02-21-13, 07:16 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

I have had DWS for almost 2 years and they are great. Treadwear rating is 540, probably the highest for any all season tire for F. I barely drive in snow and the tires do have decent grip. After these are done I'll probably switch to summer tires since I barely drive the F in winter, but DWS is an excellent tire.
Old 02-21-13, 09:43 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

If I lived in TX, I would NOT be getting all season tires.... PERIOD..
Go with the PSS or the tires Lou just got... (can't remember which ones... pole positions iirc?) or the RE-11's.
Old 02-21-13, 05:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Michelin Pilot A/S are not a good tire for a high performance sedan. They chunk the outer tread blocks when they wear (I run them on the wife's car - 245/40/17's on a Scion tC). You won't get the mileage they rate, and they won't honor the mileage warranty unless you run a square setup and rotate your tires - not going to happen with the OEM wheels.

Guys making comments about the OEM Bridgestones make me laugh. I have a LOT of experience with them and they have very good grip as well as lasting 30k miles even with track weekends, so I really have nothing bad to say about the RE050's with the IS-F specific build. Realize there is a specific model for the F, and it is optimized for this car, the same as the Michelin PS2s that are IS-F specific.

If you're really concerned about mileage, the Continental is probably a good choice unless they start making horrible road noise as Lou's did.

Finally, yes, wider tires should have been on the car from the factory, but Lexus wanted to keep the aerodynamic and frictional drag low, so we got skinny tires for a 3700+ lb car. It was a trade-off they made to avoid the gas guzzler tax. Thank them for it, it saved us all some money when we bought the car.
Old 02-22-13, 06:42 AM
lqaddict
Driver School Candidate

I had Conti's DWS and Pilot A/S on my previous car - 2003 IS300.
I liked Conti's better, but the soft sidewall made the tires explode driving on NYC roads during winter times.
Pilot A/S started to become noisy amd cracking developed on the outer side after only 5000 miles on the tires.
Old 02-22-13, 03:14 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

I mounted set of Conti 19/245/35 F 19/285/30 R DWS 3 months ago as my winter tires will be switching to PSS in summer. My driving impression so far, they handle nicely in wet weather they feel planted in both low and high speed driving in rain, even as temps dropped in wet weather they still felt planted. In light snow they are fine but would not recommend driving in snow more than few inchs deep. I got caught in snow storm that moved in early than forecast but managed to make it home with know major issues. Once again in dry conditions they are fine for all season tire have yet to drive them in warmer temps so hard to give full review as to the sporty side of driving experience with these tires not taking any high speed turns or on and off exit ramps in 20 degree weather. Overall so far good set of all season tires remember it always compromise with all season tires.

Some pic and Video of getting caught in snow

All-Season Tires: Michelin A/S Plus vs Continental DWS-2013-02-08-15.44.48.jpg

Old 02-22-13, 08:05 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Check out Tire Rack's tire ratings. That will give you a good idea of grip and threadwear among other things.