Tom's Diffuser Fitment Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 03:11 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Tom's Diffuser Fitment Issues

Hey guys,

this thread is mainly directed to those with ISS forged exhausts (qes or des); I have the qes.

I recently purchased a genuine tom's diffuser, but am experiencing fitment issues.
It cannot install with the pipes on the car. I assume that one must uninstall the iss exhaust (at least the axleback portion) to secure the tom's diffuser on, and then reinstall the exhaust.
my question, however, even if I do successfully install the diffuser w/o the exhaust on, when I attempt to reinstall the exhaust, will the pipes clear the opening?

and if the iss forged exhaust does clear the tom's diffuser, should any provisions be made to protect the integrity of the diffuser (such as padding the exhaust contact points on the diffuser with heat-resistant material?)

thanks guys.
Old 02-12-13, 03:15 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

U should asked us before you purchased the Rear Tom's diffuser , the rear is not going to fit with out some sort of modifications.
Old 02-12-13, 03:20 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

this doesn't look modified, and thanks for the quick response:

Old 02-12-13, 04:09 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Not bad
Old 02-12-13, 04:16 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Not bad
lmao, looks can be deceiving. it can be a photoshop for all I know
need more input on this issue
Old 02-12-13, 04:31 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Tape it with blue painter tape , highlight with a pencil and dremel it slowly your best bet. Dont forget to touch up with black silicon , high adhesive one
Old 02-12-13, 04:38 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

^my plan almost exactly
but I rather not resort to it, waiting for input from someone!

thanks again cody.
Old 02-12-13, 05:06 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Old 02-12-13, 05:21 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had never heard that it needed to be modified to fit the exhaust tips. But from the pics it does look very close. But that doesn't mean you need to do anything. My understanding was that the exhaust tip area was the same size as the stock holes (which fit the ISS just fine...but again, is very close).

I can understand removing the axle-back portion to install the diffuser, but I say go for it and after a quick drive see if you see any rubbing or marks on the diffuser. Then figure out how to protect it. But the tips stick out far enough that you shouldn't have black marks...it's really just an issue of hot exhaust tips rubbing.
Old 02-12-13, 05:27 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^The double walled tips are not really hot, it more of a matter of rubbing.

Here's the 4 page thread on it with more pictures, but very little installation info

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...installed.html

Digger08
Old 02-12-13, 05:36 PM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

fits realllyy snug. the exhaust actually wore its self into the diffuser

Last edited by DEMIK; 04-26-16 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 05:41 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by anxiouz
I had never heard that it needed to be modified to fit the exhaust tips. But from the pics it does look very close. But that doesn't mean you need to do anything. My understanding was that the exhaust tip area was the same size as the stock holes (which fit the ISS just fine...but again, is very close).

I can understand removing the axle-back portion to install the diffuser, but I say go for it and after a quick drive see if you see any rubbing or marks on the diffuser. Then figure out how to protect it. But the tips stick out far enough that you shouldn't have black marks...it's really just an issue of hot exhaust tips rubbing.
thanks for the response. my exhaust tips are already in contact with the bumper (where the diffuser will be). It doesn't shake or rub, but it is in contact.

Originally Posted by digger08
^^^The double walled tips are not really hot, it more of a matter of rubbing.

Here's the 4 page thread on it with more pictures, but very little installation info

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...installed.html

Digger08
thank you digger.

Originally Posted by demik
fits realllyy snug
how did you proceed with the installation?
Old 02-12-13, 05:49 PM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

the tips touch the diffuser. i just lubed the tips and put the tip(s) in hahahaha i didnt modify the toms diffuser at all.

when i took my exhaust off, there were abrasion marks from the exhaust rubbing on the diffuser. it doesnt bother me.

hope this helps
Old 02-12-13, 05:55 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That third post is a pic on my car. It's not photoshopped but it is as you indicated. To install take the mufflers off and put the toms on. Then have someone help you reinstall the mufflers as you'll have to angle and then turn to get back into place and you don't want to dislodge the diffuser by pushing it back off. They will make contact with the toms but I've had it that way for over a year with many miles and no issues other than the spots it make contact but no heat issues. The rubbing isnt visible so it wasn't a concern to me. GL with your install.

Last edited by clifftrail; 02-12-13 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 05:57 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by clifftrail
That third post is a pic on my car. It's not photoshopped but it is as you indicated. To install take the mufflers of and put the toms on. Then have someone help you reinstall the mufflers as you'll have to angle and then turn to get back into place. They will make contact with the toms but I've had it that way for over a year with many miles and no issues other than the spots it make contact. And that's not visible anyway so it wasn't a concern to me. GL with you install.
Originally Posted by demik
the tips touch the diffuser. i just lubed the tips and put the tip(s) in hahahaha i didnt modify the toms diffuser at all.

when i took my exhaust off, there were abrasion marks from the exhaust rubbing on the diffuser. it doesnt bother me.

hope this helps
thank you very much guys, that's all the reassurance I needed!
I will get this done March 8th, the date of my sikky header installation appointment (at JE)

Quick Reply: Tom's Diffuser Fitment Issues