IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Getting a handle on wheel sizing & offsets – A Preliminary Guide

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-13, 03:57 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the premise of this thread so I'll contribute. Its glaring shortcoming is the fact that it doesn't have real world guidance on matching sets of tires since, well, you have to have both in order to make it work. Yes, air, as in proper inflation, helps as well.

Based on my limited, but tenacious search of the internetz, for a set of 20" wheels/tires, the following specs strike the ideal balance between looks and functionality.

20x9 ET40 245/30s
20x10.5 ET52 285/25s

The setup above will take trimming, rolling, fender molesting out of the modding equation even when tastefully lowered. It also features diameters pretty darn near stock sizing, an important requirement. Tire sizes can be sourced via a good number of top manufacturers, a not so insignificant consideration. Your shoes will sit square so that the actual rim section is properly covered by rubber (unlike the example posted above).

All too often I see people throwing up words like "stance" and "stretch" without first having an ounce of a clue thus rendering their efforts as looking rather tawdry and on-a-limited-budget-straight-out-of-high-school. I even see vendors pushing product to less informed users claiming that their setup fits when all they're really interested in is making quota.

HRE, a respected brand, actually recommends even less offset up front by about 2mm, but better to be safe than sorry, imo, especially if you're going to run the best street tires on the market today which are the rather chubby Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

I understand you get the best performance out of a lightweight set of 6061-T6 aluminum 19" wheels. The ISF's factory BBSs are amazing, better than many German OEMs including Porsche (forged, i-beamed 2012-13s), yet they fall short in the looks dept as they have to sit in-board in order to meet federal requirements, to fit snow chains, etc.

With all that said, from a pure looks standpoint, to make your ISF stand out from the crowd as you run errands, hit up the club, take your lady out on the town, commute to work, pull up to valet, dubs take the cake.

As the smarter folks will ascertain, in order to get these specs, there are only a handful of vendors who make proper custom wheels. Blame Lexus for all I care. The ISF didn't sell well so there's not enough volume for wheel vendors to design an ISF specific product. I wish BBS made LMs as they do for the E46/E9X M3s!

So unless you can go big, just stay home. It's a very nice home that Lexus built for us.

Last edited by ROK; 09-20-13 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-20-13, 04:23 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

to illustrate for those more visually inclined, i'll reference a very popular forum member. steve's isf is undoubtedly a neck breaker, but his wheel/tire fitment can be improved upon with my specs above imho.

iirc, he's running 19x10 when he really should've gotten 10.5s. i think he's running narrower 275s in this pic, but i read that he went to 285s recently. if he sticks with 285s/245s, it'll add some much needed beef to the wheels. i'm really curious as to what his offset is up front, but i'm guessing he's at ET43-5 range given how much it tucks under. with ET40s, raise it up a bit so the car doesn't have the dragster rake that the ISF is prone to, and i think it'll look perfect, less RVish up front. his rears will look pretty spot on raised a bit as well.

i'm not ******* on steve's car. in fact, i love the look as it's better than most i've seen here. kudos to him for sharing it with the world! it's not easy.

Last edited by ROK; 09-20-13 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-20-13, 04:38 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ROK you preach size and grip but WHATS THE POINT when you lower your car over 2 inches? You ruin the roll center and raise other geometry based suspension issues as well. So whats your purpose? For looks? If thats the case then don't even worry about having a square tire on a wide wheel. As long as it is not an over stretch, there's no point. If you want it to handle better and look good then you don't need 20's and wide tires to cover the rim.. theres an infinite way of doing this even with 11" wheels in the back. You're so hard headed and elitist you've given yourself the throne where everything you say is perfect but whatever you say is pure bull****. Seriously if you preached all these ideas anywhere at a car meet/show the way you do, you'd get your *** kicked out and have your ISF keys taken away from you.
Old 09-20-13, 05:27 PM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ROK
Meades running 20s. b
BBS rims are not the best. They are heavy. E46 m3 world BBS is old news. LMs don't even cover bbks. Most of us were running volks on our m3s.
Old 09-20-13, 06:39 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yjk1975
ROK
Meades running 20s. b
BBS rims are not the best. They are heavy. E46 m3 world BBS is old news. LMs don't even cover bbks. Most of us were running volks on our m3s.
oops typo thx for correction.

BBS is the best wheel company in the world. period. BBS LMs are strong and light in the multi-piece world. amazing stuff. let's not show our amateur hour cards. do your homework 1st
Old 09-20-13, 07:53 PM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ROK
oops typo thx for correction.

BBS is the best wheel company in the world. period. BBS LMs are strong and light in the multi-piece world. amazing stuff. let's not show our amateur hour cards. do your homework 1st
I will take Volks over BBS any day. You sir are showing your childishness. I have done my homework. Volks are the strongest and the lightest rims in the world. Have you taken your factory wheel and weighed it. Why do you think you will find BBS from Tundras, Camrys, Tacomas, etc. BBS is not what they used to be.
Old 09-23-13, 01:44 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Way to show your lack of knowledge (and lack of homework). Find me 10 OEM wheels (not from exotics) that weight 23 lbs or less as the 19" BBS on the ISF.

Do you follow F1? You know, the top and most demanding form of motorsport in the world. Rays (not Volks, they're just their enthuast and sport compact brand) is a supplier together with Enkei, AppTech and Fondmetal... but the biggest suppliers are BBS and O.Z. Racing.

Yes, some Camrys, Tundras, Tacomas... even the ISF come with BBS, so what? BTW, add Ferrari, Porsche, Viper, etc. to that list.
Old 09-23-13, 04:26 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

1. g35 19" rays 19lbs front 20lbs back (had these before)

2. 370z sports package 19 " 23.2lbs front 23.8lbs rear

3. 370z rays nismo wheels 19" 20lbs front 23 lbs rear (had these before)

ill try to find more once i get off of work
Old 09-23-13, 05:49 PM
LOLM3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
1. g35 19" rays 19lbs front 20lbs back (had these before)

2. 370z sports package 19 " 23.2lbs front 23.8lbs rear

3. 370z rays nismo wheels 19" 20lbs front 23 lbs rear (had these before)

ill try to find more once i get off of work
Also 19" Euro spec CSLs weight 23lbs, 19" Black edition GTR wheels weigh 22lbs for the fronts.

This here should shed some light on the wheel weight argument.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265756
Old 09-23-13, 07:00 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

BBS wheels are pretty heavy. we tend to forget, our oem size widths are 8 and 9. on the e46 m3 19 bbs, they are heavy as hell with the same widths up towards 27 lbs. The 350z and 370z rays wheels and nismo wheels are 19x10 in the rear reason why its 27lbs which is light for oem wheels with that width.

BBS i say has good quality. wont bend. BBS has never been lightweight IMO through oem.

one brand that i say i have worked with for 4 years when working at a tire shop that gets too much credit is enkei. these wheels have a better process than the standard cast process but they quality is low when we are talking about durability. ive worked with so many oem bent enkei wheels, rpf1s in sizes 15"-19 inch coming in with bent wheels from little little potholes. and lets not get into the durability of the finishes.

Rays has and proved lightweight through oem wheels more than BBS from what ive seen. But BBS' quality is on par with rays. OEM manufactures will never contract with either rays or BBS to get their super lightweight special wheels, it's just too costly for them to do it to the average consumer and profit. while all of these OEM bbs/rays wheels are lighter and stronger the regular wheels, i wouldn't consider them light wheels at all.
Old 11-13-14, 05:18 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.willtheyfit.com
youre welcome
Old 09-18-15, 01:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Oh man I would like to thank the OP for creating and posting these charts. I am ordering new Forgestar CF5v wheels today and this is really helping to ensure that I am in the right area with my custom offsets . I am planning on running a 255/35/19 and 295/30/19 with the ADO8R , PSS, pr PS Cup 2. KInd of tempted to run the PS Cup 2 since I do a lot of track days and it is an unexplored tire for anyone on this forum. Pus its hardcore LOL