IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Losing coolant ever so slightly.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-15, 06:55 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a way to see this without removing the manifold?
Old 03-01-15, 07:01 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
Is there a way to see this without removing the manifold?
Lobuxracer and I checked it a few weeks ago and couldn't find any sign. Maybe if it was bad enough. My coolant would basically sit right below the low line. Generally would take a week or two after refilling to get back there.
Old 03-01-15, 07:13 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by torxuvin
Lobuxracer and I checked it a few weeks ago and couldn't find any sign. Maybe if it was bad enough. My coolant would basically sit right below the low line. Generally would take a week or two after refilling to get back there.
So basically there is a good chance that many of us have this issue as I know many of us including me lose coolant very slowly.

Are you sure that even if we go in with flashlights and mirrors there is no way to see this? And does extended warranty cover this? Mine will run out in 2 years.

One more thing, The fuel recall exposes this issue correct? If so it looks like I'm good. I just checked my coverage.

Last edited by Compthis; 03-01-15 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-01-15, 08:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

So basically there is a good chance that many of us have this issue as I know many of us including me lose coolant very slowly.

Are you sure that even if we go in with flashlights and mirrors there is no way to see this? And does extended warranty cover this? Mine will run out in 2 years.

One more thing, The fuel recall exposes this issue correct? If so it looks like I'm good. I just checked my coverage.
I suspect many of us will find this problem when the recall is done. I doubt it can be checked with flashlights and mirrors. You'd be way ahead to spend $30 on a borescope to plug into a laptop or tablet and view this directly. Amazon lists a number of sellers with an 8.5mm camera surrounded by 6 LEDs so you can see this pretty easily.

Some of us are way beyond even extended warranty, so we may be doing what zazzn did ourselves. Not looking forward to it at all. Just for the fact the injectors like to break, it might make sense just to pay to have it done. If Lexus breaks your injector, they pay for it. If you break your injector, well, prepare to spend some serious coin on new ones.
Old 03-02-15, 11:59 AM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone know the part number for the hose with the mesh loom over it?
it's the one that is going into the inlet / thermostat body.

post 44 pictures 1 and 2

I'm looking at some diagrams but the hose looks much shorter.
looks like the other end goes toward the intake manifold area / throttle area?

it's one of the areas of my leak.

unfortunately I am out of warranty and most likely will have to do the work myself.
Old 03-02-15, 12:26 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by clarionguy
anyone know the part number for the hose with the mesh loom over it?
it's the one that is going into the inlet / thermostat body.

post 44 pictures 1 and 2

I'm looking at some diagrams but the hose looks much shorter.
looks like the other end goes toward the intake manifold area / throttle area?

it's one of the areas of my leak.

unfortunately I am out of warranty and most likely will have to do the work myself.
I just ordered up a wifi borescope. I figure when I go into the dealership for the recall, I will go in with ammo. Thanks lance. I guess the $2500 I spent on warranty will come in handy after all. A friend of mine will let me use his hoist when I'm ready, I'm going to snake the entire engine bay out.
Old 03-02-15, 02:21 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if it will do any good but I have emailed Lexus headquarters expressing my concern and the majority of us having a problem to see what they will do about it.
Old 03-02-15, 04:26 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Found my own question:

Water by pass hose: 1628238040
Clamps x 2: 9613641501
Old 03-02-15, 04:29 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

I just ordered up a wifi borescope. I figure when I go into the dealership for the recall, I will go in with ammo. Thanks lance. I guess the $2500 I spent on warranty will come in handy after all. A friend of mine will let me use his hoist when I'm ready, I'm going to snake the entire engine bay out.
Have they started to perform the "Recalls" in Canada? Maybe I could talk them into checking this issue and seeing how much labour would come out.

I really do not trust them working on the car however .

Not one job the original dealership has done on my car that did not have some small issue.

They could not even install the "child safety pull tab" correctly which was a re-call
My trunk opened up on the highway and when I looked they took a "short-cut" to install the new hook...
Old 03-02-15, 05:12 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have they started to perform the "Recalls" in Canada? Maybe I could talk them into checking this issue and seeing how much labour would come out.

Not one job the original dealership has done on my car that did not have some small issue.

They could not even install the "child safety pull tab" correctly which was a re-call
My trunk opened up on the highway and when I looked they took a "short-cut" to install the new hook...
I plan on extensively looking over the car before I accept the car back. It may be worth asking them to not take apart the wiring loom. They aren't supposed to according to the recall instructions, but it makes the job easier for the techs. I expressly tell them not to wash it every time too, so they don't mess up my clear coat... Already had to fix the swirls once after the initial paint correction.
Old 03-02-15, 06:32 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

I got the letter but I don't think they are fixing yet. I have to say, I have not had an issue with any dealer work yet. It's probably because I announce myself as very **** before hand. Only issue I've had is not getting called back because they don't want to deal with me lol. Regardless, I still go in and get what I need. I tell them not to wash the car and they never have. I must say Lexus is pretty good but I agree I'm not the most comfortable having my manifold taken apart but I do have 2 years of warranty for any reoccurrences to surface. How about this, let me go first, and if things go well you can go next. I'm taking it to NorthWest Lexus in Brampton when the time comes.
Old 03-02-15, 06:37 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I got the letter but I don't think they are fixing yet. I have to say, I have not had an issue with any dealer work yet. It's probably because I announce myself as very **** before hand. Only issue I've had is not getting called back because they don't want to deal with me lol. Regardless, I still go in and get what I need. I tell them not to wash the car and they never have. I must say Lexus is pretty good but I agree I'm not the most comfortable having my manifold taken apart but I do have 2 years of warranty for any reoccurrences to surface. How about this, let me go first, and if things go well you can go next. I'm taking it to NorthWest Lexus in Brampton when the time comes.
They did my repair.

Digger08
Old 03-02-15, 09:30 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by digger08
They did my repair.

Digger08

Lets hope they use the same mechanic ...

I'm changing the hose and water pump myself this weekend.

If I knew the exact parts that potentially could be leaking inside the manifold I'd do that myself too this weekend ... I guess I will have to waste 2 jugs of coolant if I just wait until spring / summer.

I had a LOT of coolant drip down the side of the transmission.. scary.

btw I have the special tools and adapters for our car to do the leak test on the coolant system...
It was a MityVac with a AIZEN adapter?? or something ...

weirdest part is I could put e.g. 10 psi / 11 / 13 psi to the system and it holds it even after 15 minutes.... (done when cold).
Old 03-03-15, 07:47 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lets hope they use the same mechanic ...

I'm changing the hose and water pump myself this weekend.

If I knew the exact parts that potentially could be leaking inside the manifold I'd do that myself too this weekend ... I guess I will have to waste 2 jugs of coolant if I just wait until spring / summer.

I had a LOT of coolant drip down the side of the transmission.. scary.

btw I have the special tools and adapters for our car to do the leak test on the coolant system...
It was a MityVac with a AIZEN adapter?? or something ...

weirdest part is I could put e.g. 10 psi / 11 / 13 psi to the system and it holds it even after 15 minutes.... (done when cold).
The leak itself is the actual heat exchanger shell. It is related to a bad sealant used during the assembly - I have it on good authority they removed, clean and reapply new sealant.......thats it.

They have been several cases of this reported in North America and there is an internal procdure on this fix...for the dealer. During the dismantling, as mentioned, is where the anomolies occur, with coil packs, heat sheilds etc and items subjected to the heat. The fix is easy once your in there, its the associated parts that can add up during the journey of discovery to get to it.

Digger08
Old 03-03-15, 07:58 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Geez, this problem scares me as I'm looking for an F! I wonder how many F's are affected by this and why Lexus never saw this as a major problem enough to issue a recall????

Looks like I'll be looking into an aftermarket warranty just in case. Any recommendations on a good no nonsense aftermarket warranty company that pays out instead of arguing with you on repair necessity and costs?

Quick Reply: Losing coolant ever so slightly.